Champions League 2024/25

maqroll

4 minutes ago, Caddy said:

I'm honestly not overly stressed about bottling the league position next season. The stars have aligned so well for us in the sense that, aside from City and Arsenal, the hierarchy of the so called Big 6 (should really be the Big 8 now with us and Newcastle) is in disarray. United are a dumpster fire, Spurs seem to be imploding, Liverpool are facing a very uncertain future post-Klopp, Chelsea and Newcastle are solid young sides but certainly clubs we can go toe to toe with in a race for 4th. Plus, I think England not getting the extra CL spot was an aberration amd we should be able to rely on 5th being a CL spot more often than not.

The future is so so bright.

Big 6 is not just football achievement but financial clout. And both us and Newcastle are vastly behind while also extremely limited to catch up based on the new rules setting in. 

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

People turning up their noses at playing AEK Athens when we've just been battered by the team below them in their league 🤣

Don't think anyone's turning their noses up, it's just when you qualify for CL for the first time in 40 years, a game at Athens isn't really what the dreams are made of

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine lots of villa fans care about who we play in the previous rounds

We're almost certainly not going to win it, let's be honest. The chances are incredibly slim. And it could be another 40 years before we play in the Champions League again.

I really really hope it isn't, but it could be.

Would people really rather play the shittest teams in the competition to give us the best chance of qualifying? Would you really be telling your kids about the time Brugge and AEK Athens came to Villa Park?

Or would you rather experience Bayern Munich or Barcelona coming here? Or watching Villa play at the Bernabeau?

I honestly don't know why people watch football sometimes. We've spent decades wanting to get back into the world's elite club competition, and now people want to see us drawn against Leipzig and Sturm Graz because it's easier to get out of the "group".

Where's the romance in that?

Because football is about winning. 

10 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Drawing Leipzig would be disappointing. lets be honest.

Well, there are plenty of big names in Pot 2 and 3. We're getting more guaranteed games in this format, so we'll be happy with the draw, I'm sure. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Don't think anyone's turning their noses up, it's just when you qualify for CL for the first time in 40 years, a game at Athens isn't really what the dreams are made of

I don't care who we play, the new format means we will get a few tough games and an few not so tough.

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

Why can’t we win it? 

IMG_9761.jpeg

I was hoping somebody had posted this.  If nothing else it shows we don’t need to have an inferiority complex. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Zero chance of getting no big fixtures.  

We are guaranteed to be playing two of the following teams:

Bayern Munich

Real Madrid

Barcelona

PSG

Inter

Dortmund

Leipzig.

Inter and Dortmund in the league... PSG in the knockout, Barca in the Quarters, Madrid in the semis(leaving Bellend crying into the arms of Ancelotti) and our old friend Bayern in the final. Winning 1-0 with Bailey crossing the ball to go in of Ollies shin to lift the the trophy. 

We then go on to dominate European football for the next 14 years lifting the trophy a record 16 times overall and become the most success club team in European football. 😎

• Like 3

The club won’t be planning on sacrificing either the champions league or the league next year. The manager fully understands what’s needed and we have the summer to build the squad that’s needed to compete on multiple fronts.

It’s Monchi’s time to shine. 

Goodbye to Sanson (gone), Coutinho, Hause, Chambers, Donks, Timbo, Kessler-Hayden, Barry (loan maybe), Archer (again) and maybe to Digne and Carlos if we get good money. Hopefully we manage to retain Duran.

Shift all of that then there’s plenty of room to strengthen the squad where needed. 

17 hours ago, maqroll said:

Who we playing then? 

Real Madrid?

Juventus?

Bayern Munich?

We might get a couple of Italian teams, already got sofas lined up in Bologna and Milan...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Drawing Leipzig would be disappointing. lets be honest.

100%. We want box office. And let me tell you, box office won't fancy going up against Professor Unai :D 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

Why can’t we win it? 

IMG_9761.jpeg

What i see here is if we can get better at beating the "rest" of the PL the sky is the limit.

Citeh have proved that again this year.....beat everyone below you on a consistent basis and then don't lose to your direct competitors and the PL title is yours

Edited by MarkLillis

2 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

That yellow on blue hurts my eyes. We were so close to getting rid of it too.

I still think it will be more than 50m though. Between the sponsorship boost from existing contracts, the opportunity for now new contracts, income from extra matchdays, and the prize money itself. Got to be worth more. 

And arguably priceless in terms of keeping some of our players.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We can play all 4 of them, it's not one or the other.

**** me mate, I know. Surely you must be able to understand the point I'm making

38 minutes ago, Clarry said:

Because football is about winning. 

Sometimes it really isn't

When non league teams get to the 3rd round of the FA Cup, do you think they're hoping they get drawn at home to Rotherham because they have a better chance of winning?

Or do you think they're hoping they get drawn away to Man Utd or Liverpool because they're two of the biggest clubs in the world and the romance and the occasion of playing them is worth far more than getting an easier route to the 4th round?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Sometimes it really isn't

When non league teams get to the 3rd round of the FA Cup, do you think they're hoping they get drawn at home to Rotherham because they have a better chance of winning?

Or do you think they're hoping they get drawn away to Man Utd or Liverpool because they're two of the biggest clubs in the world and the romance and the occasion of playing them is worth far more than getting an easier route to the 4th round?

in any competition i'd want the easiest route to the final. i'd be more than happy with leipzig from pot 1. a non league team know that they have zero chance of winning the FA cup...emery has already said his aim will be to win the CL. that's the difference.

we'd end up playing the tougher teams in the knockouts anyway, there's no avoiding them

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Would you really be telling your kids about the time Brugge and AEK Athens came to Villa Park?

Who tells their kids that Villa played Real Madrid? That's the most small time shit I've ever heard. Quite frankly, the whole "that's something to tell your grandkids" narrative never actually happens. Grandkids don't give a **** who we played played 50 years ago. I never asked when I was young either.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Well, there are plenty of big names in Pot 2 and 3. We're getting more guaranteed games in this format, so we'll be happy with the draw, I'm sure. 

Yep, even Pot 2 has:

Juventus

Milan

Athletico

Benfica

Bayer Leverkusen

Plus Atalanta, Club Brugge, and Shakhtar Donetsk.

Â