Race for The Premier League - 2024/2025

Don_Simon

If it's possible to stand back and look at this season, you'd say we deserve top 4, but were no way going to be champions because of horrific injuries and also because this squad is on a steep learning curve and we've dropped too many points. Next season you would expect/hope less injuries, more 'winners' in the squad, and the squad itself immensly more experienced and with a taste for success. It would not be a surprise if Emery in only his 2nd full season, had us challenging for a large percentage of the season.

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If City get hit with charges next season, I don't see why we can't challenge. Being dead serious. Liverpool will also be in transition. 

You need 90 points more or less to win the premier league these days. You can only afford to drop points in 10 games.

If you look at us this season we had the 8-9 winning run at VP up to xmas and our away form also has been pretty good after the slow start. We'll still be probably 20 + points off 1st.

After the Sheffield United draw our home form has dropped off considerably in the second half of the season, think it's 4 wins from our last 11 games. It was an indifferent run from that Sheffield game up to middle of Feb so if you're going for leagues you can't afford that type of run apart from in the first 10 games.

If this was the 90s where leagues were being won on under 80 points then it would be a more realistic (if difficult) aspiration.

3 hours ago, tinker said:

If we can recruit well and get some of our players back off the injury list then why not. We have improved year on year since Emery came in and he's not sitting on his hands now.

The teams we have to beat are Arsenal,  Man City and Liverpool and their not unbeatable, not by a long way. Others teams are sorting themselves out which hopefully means the top 3 lose more games than this year. Tbh City looked devoid of inspiration,  I think they maybe in decline, next season is a great chance for us to compete at the very top. UTV.

Yep I totally agree. Need that additional help at DM till Boubs comes back and a fullback and injured players coming back will be like new signings. 
another pre season and players adapting to Unai’s style better and we can definitely challenge. 

We shipped goals this season and that needs to be addressed. Whether that’s because of no midfield stealth or the lack of full back options and quality but it needs to be looked at

The gap between where we are finishing this season and winning the league is enormous. It's a bigger jump than the one we've just made from Conference qualification to Champions League qualification.

I don't think people appreciate just how good you have to be to win the league, especially with man City cheating every year to make them even better.

It's possible, and I'll enjoy the ride if we're in the race like we were this season.

But the priority should be CL qualification again. We need to become a team that is consistently in that competition, and use the revenue and reputation that comes with that to build a team to challenge.

It's finally a realistic proposition in the near future

It's going to be very very tricky to finish in 4th again whilst also juggling mid-week games against Bayern, Barcelona, Juventus, etc. 

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere, but, damn impressive for 23/24:

GNn33HIWkAExr0V?format=jpg&name=small

Doesn’t look so impressive though if you do a top 6 mini league or top 10. We did exceptionally well against the top 3 and next season we need to spread that consistency down to teams 5 - 10

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

It's going to be very very tricky to finish in 4th again whilst also juggling mid-week games against Bayern, Barcelona, Juventus, etc. 

Wonder if there's any chance of fifth getting CL again next season.

30 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Doesn’t look so impressive though if you do a top 6 mini league or top 10. We did exceptionally well against the top 3 and next season we need to spread that consistency down to teams 5 - 10

Wasn't it won 1 lost 1 against Spurs? Won 1 drew 1 against Chelsea?

No comment on Newcastle or Manure :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Didn't we beat Spurs and Chelsea. Draw with Chelsea and lose to Spurs. So 7/12 is good return. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

They're 7th and 8th so don't count 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Yes, sorry, I was completely wrong about 1-6. We would actually be first in a top 6 table as well, which is pretty impressive.

But when you factor in the current 7-10, Newcastle, Man U, West Ham and Brighton, we leached a lot of points and it’s looks a lot less impressive

• Like 2

At the end of last season, I really fancied us for top 4 this season and had a nice bet on us to make it at generous odds. I really don’t know what to expect now for next season. I’m over the moon that we will be playing champions league football. But the second half of this season has dampened some of my optimism, even allowing for injuries. 30 points from our last 21 league games is really not great. It’s felt like we’ve been scrambling points without playing very well to get over the line for fourth. Our defence is a major concern for me. Players coming back from injury will help but we have some work to do to get our 2023 form back. Anyway, let’s hope for another exciting season and who knows where it can lead us. Incredible effort for 2023-2024. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

At the end of last season, I really fancied us for top 4 this season and had a nice bet on us to make it at generous odds. I really don’t know what to expect now for next season. I’m over the moon that we will be playing champions league football. But the second half of this season has dampened some of my optimism, even allowing for injuries. 30 points from our last 21 league games is really not great. It’s felt like we’ve been scrambling points without playing very well to get over the line for fourth. Our defence is a major concern for me. Players coming back from injury will help but we have some work to do to get our 2023 form back. Anyway, let’s hope for another exciting season and who knows where it can lead us. Incredible effort for 2023-2024. 

We'll do very well to replicate this year. Playing CL in first half of the season will be nothing like Europa Conference games let's be honest given the huge gulf in quality between opponents in the respective competitions.

I'm expecting a far more slower start to next season as we adapt to that competition. Think the three promoted teams will be much stronger aswell.

At least Chelsea, Spurs and one of Newcastle/Man. United are in europe so they'll all still be in the Thursday/Sunday dynamic.

I'd be happy with 60 points as that would still have us in the mix for top 6.

Congratulations man city on 5 in a row

Boring as ****, ropey as **** with all the charges too, hopefully next year is the year someone sticks their head above the parapet and calls it out 

If we win a trophy, dropping a few league places is fine (I don’t know how many places is “fine” before you ask).

Broadly speaking, I think if we’re playing in the Europa league the season after next, then next season will have been considered a successful one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

That's a 54 point season, enough for 9th. I can't believe we'd drop off that much and will prob get 6th.

Think we should lower the expectations. Race for top 4 fine, race for title I say no chance.

Spurs finished top 4 for four years in a row under Poch without spending much in comparison to the teams around them, so if we aim to do something similar I think we can.

Don't see us getting near the title unless we plough in £200m+ on new signings.

Â