Best Sitcom of All Time

Rds1983

I don’t think it’s been mentioned so far but the first couple of series of Catastrophe were brilliant. 

Currently watching The IT Crowd with my 14yr old daughter (her first time of watching it). It is still phenomenal (but a shame how Graham Linehan turned out…) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I don’t think it’s been mentioned so far but the first couple of series of Catastrophe were brilliant. 

Currently watching The IT Crowd with my 14yr old daughter (her first time of watching it). It is still phenomenal (but a shame how Graham Linehan turned out…) 

Yeah, IT Crowd was immense. Really really good.  Casting was brilliant. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

A vote here for Doc Martin. Visited his house last summer 😂😂

Just a bucket load of feel good escapism. Viewing equivalent of easy listening. 

Edited by sidcow

Posted (edited)

Men Behaving Badly was brilliant at the time, but was probably of it's time more than any other show and has not aged well at all.  I probably owned every episode on VHS but couldn't watch one now. 

The Young Ones was also of its time but I will happily watch one now and nearly be able to quote it word for word despite never having had it recorded. 

Without question the most important thing on telly when I was a young teenager. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

On 04/05/2024 at 05:16, sidcow said:

Yeah, IT Crowd was immense. Really really good.  Casting was brilliant. 

I so love Jen, even though she’s married to Ray Bloody Purchase in real life 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I so love Jen, even though she’s married to Ray Bloody Purchase in real life 

Well well well...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sidcow said:

She was OK until she broke The Internet.

It's a shame you can't stream that episode any more.  The IT Crowd has so many perfect episodes, all the characters consistently have their own story arc that come together at the end, just perfect sitcom writing.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's a shame you can't stream that episode any more.  The IT Crowd has so many perfect episodes, all the characters consistently have their own story arc that come together at the end, just perfect sitcom writing.

Yeah, the very first episode set the tone where she keeps Maurice waiting whilst she has a chat on the phone and after waiting 5 minutes Maurice asks her if she wants him to plug her phone in. 

BBC four are showing back to back episodes of Hancock’s Half Hour to mark the hundredth anniversary of his birth.

Not quite sure what to make of him in truth. I don’t know if he’s one of those cases where a relatively early death coupled with the tragic depressed persona of his final years significantly helped his status.

I read about the famous Blood Doner episode and him reading his lines off an autocue,  I don’t know if it’s simply his style but he seemed to do it a lot of other episodes too. Maybe it’s because it feels like he’s performing to the audience rather than acting with the cast, if that makes sense.

On 26/04/2024 at 10:45, sne said:

First couple seasons of Coupling were funny from what I remember.

On 26/04/2024 at 11:17, Mark Albrighton said:

Yep, I remember it dying quite the death when Richard Coyle (Jeff) left the show. It was clear he was the funniest character but until he left I didn’t realise just how much the show was reliant on him.

I hadn’t realised that they’re all on the iplayer, so I rewatched the entire series.

It’s broader humour than I remember. It’s fine, enjoyable enough, I think I like the actors as much as anything although I think Jack Davenport’s character is a bit much when he does his rants. Some interesting bits like having an episode which has a large proportion spoken in Hebrew being an example.

The fourth series does dip due to Jeff’s absence, but looking back now, as the first three series aren’t quite as good as I remember, comparatively the fourth one is not the drop in quality it seemed at the time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 06/05/2024 at 18:30, Xela said:

Shout-out for Phoneshop. Very funny!

I imagine that sort of obnoxious type of person is commonplace amongst sales people ?

I've always seen you as an Ashley type,  hangin' wiv ya sales mandem, rockin' a niiiiiiice timepiece and shiny grey suit, blad 😃

(only messin' wiv ya, fam !)

Edited by mottaloo
  • Haha 1

The Office, in my opinion. It's just so brilliantly observed, there's a hardly a duff second in any of them. The ending with the christmas party is as close to TV perfection as it's possible to get.

Then because it makes me laugh like a drain, The Inbetweeners. The fashion show bollock scene made me laugh so hard I thought I was going to pass out.

• Like 1

Â