• Watkins
    • Rogers (Zaniolo 28)
    • Bailey (Diaby 68)
    • Durán (McGinn 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Emi is suspended for the first leg of the semi no?

Nobody knows until the chicken entrails have been examined. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, claretman said:

The referee made me hanker for Mike Dean.  He was one of the worst I've ever seen, I don't think there was really a bad tackle in the whole match yet he was flashing cards around like a vegas dealer.

He even delayed our moment of joy after the save by putting his hand in the air and making everyone wait, wanting all the attention after if finished.  Absolute clown.

It was unbelievable tbh and it makes me question our desire to play in Europe and expose ourselves to these types of officials. Watched a bit of the West Ham game and he was very similar to our ref as well. Not quite as bad but ours was exceptionally bad.

This is from The UEFA regulations

Exceptionally, all yellow cards and pending yellow-card suspensions expire on completion of the play-offs. They are not carried forward to the group stage. In addition, all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals.

The briefing that Emi is suspended for the semis appears to have come from the club but I think they’re just teasing us.

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

This is from The UEFA regulations

The briefing that Emi is suspended for the semis appears to have come from the club but I think they’re just teasing us.

I think that means that the cards are removed, but existing suspensions are still in place.

Got to say I was very impressed with Fonseca, a really top coach. Lille were the better team over both legs but were simply denied by the best goalkeeper in the business. He came across well, very respectful in all his interviews and Im sure our ownership will have taken note should Unai ever leave a few years down the line. Whoever does bring him to the PL one day will be getting an excellent manager imo.

I will not forgive him for arresting Jordan Belfort though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last night was the most ever Villa way to win a tie. 

IMO we were poor but probably created the best chances - Cash, Dougie, Duran all score on another night. Other than their 2 goals, they didn't really create a lot. 

You just knew if it went to pens we'd win though. My lad is 17 and he wanted it to go to pens, even at the start of ET, cos, as he said, we have Emi and we will win. He was spot on. 

It was all a bit mental and I've woke up this morning with a thick head, a sore throat - my neighbours must of thought I was laying the smackdown on my family with the amount of shouting cos of the ref - and a need to rewatch the game, or at least that shootout a few hundred times. 

Bring on the Greeks 🦁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, conorm said:

It is true, unfortunately. At least until they appeal the stupid shootout booking.

You can't appeal yellows

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

You can't appeal yellows

Apparently you can in European competitions. 

• Thanks 1

They deserved to lose after all those ridiulous boos at Emi

Words removed

Edited by Pinebro

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Got to say I was very impressed with Fonseca, a really top coach. Lille were the better team over both legs but were simply denied by the best goalkeeper in the business. He came across well, very respectful in all his interviews and Im sure our ownership will have taken note should Unai ever leave a few years down the line. Whoever does bring him to the PL one day will be getting an excellent manager imo.

I will not forgive him for arresting Jordan Belfort though.

Lille were decent, well drilled, and clearly Fonseca has talent but my objective view is they were not the better team over two legs. It was pretty even but we prevailed. I am not sure on the agrregated stats but I think we are better. Ultimately we did enough and won the tie, for me that makes us better. For all their combativeness they weren’t really that scary. We had a big game on Sunday and they rested. I am happy that we deserved to win

1 hour ago, Dodgyknees said:

Spot on.

Part of me thinks we deliberately took our foot off the gas a bit.

I am convinced we did. Stepped it up a bit towards the end but it felt like 2nd gear for most of the game and I say that with no disrespect to Lille who I thought looked a really good side. My feeling is Emery said that’s try and win this with minimal energy used up and when we had too we stepped it up a bit but it’s difficult to go from coasting to stepping up your levels 

• Thanks 1

Â