• Diaby
    • Watkins
    • Rogers (Zaniolo 28)
    • Bailey (Diaby 68)
    • Durán (McGinn 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

If that second yellow card stands for Martinez he will miss the first leg of the semi-final as he was also booked in the first leg.

Nevertheless we wouldn't be anywhere near it without him.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

He ran across the penalty area with the card in the air 

Yep. And then when he got there he pointed to the yellow card and crossed his arms the way they do when VAR overturns a card and was calling Emi and Dougy down. Seemed like he was telling them it wasn’t a yellow after all

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If you watch what he's saying to Doug, he holds up his finger and says one a couple of times, I'm fairly sure he knew. I know it seems unlikely as he didn't know his arse from his elbow, but I think he booked him knowing he was giving him a second first yellow card.

Looked to me like he was saying he wasn’t booking him but yeah could be that

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. And then when he got there he pointed to the yellow card and crossed his arms the way they do when VAR overturns a card and was calling Emi and Dougy down. Seemed like he was telling them it wasn’t a yellow after all

I guess we’ll have to see what the ref puts in his report. It would be mad to wave the card like that and not mean it. 
He might have been saying “no more or you’re off”. 

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I guess we’ll have to see what the ref puts in his report. It would be mad to wave the card like that and not mean it. 
He might have been saying “no more or you’re off”. 

Maybe. I interpreted it as he realised he was going to have to send him off and changed his mind

• Like 1

Big Emi - amazing. Matty & Leon - superb. And shout out to Ollie nailing that pen with the pressure of waiting and his dodgy history. That was truly excellent. 

Straightforward semi please. I can't take that again. 

PS - proof I think that this is not a 3rd rate trophy. It really means something. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DakotaVilla said:

Maybe it’s just me but I’m as proud of that performance as I was Arsenal. You can’t play brilliantly every week.

We suffered badly today. A long season. So many injuries etc etc but when the tank was empty the players kept going on pure grit, hunger, desire and determination right until the end in a very difficult atmosphere away from home.

The penalties under severe pressure were excellent and of course Martinez is the king. 

The players will learn so much from this game and it’s muscle memory in the bank for future big games where we just have to stay in the game. 

They are going to be knackered v Bournemouth but no doubt a full Villa Park will give them a heroes welcome and we will carry them through that game. 

Mentality monsters?

I thought was our worst performance under Unai, a lot of players underperformed and maybe took Lille lightly

Also maybe Emi told them to relax so he could kill French dreams again 😂

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Looked to me like he was saying he wasn’t booking him but yeah could be that

He wasn't exactly the clearest - he seemed to struggle a great deal to explain the coin toss for the penalties to the captains.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If you watch what he's saying to Doug, he holds up his finger and says one a couple of times, I'm fairly sure he knew. I know it seems unlikely as he didn't know his arse from his elbow, but I think he booked him knowing he was giving him a second first yellow card.

He was gesturing with his finger to warn him he could use the card.

Â