Midweek Football 16/19 April

andykeenan

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Silva's penalty wasn't that bad, just a cracking gamble by the keeper not to dive.

I still can't believe he took Haaland off, all he needs is a half chance and you can vary your attacks a bit more when he is there.  City did nothing in extra time.  Plus he'd have taken a penalty.

Yep. Take the one guy off who literally exists to score goals and does absolutely nothing else of value 🤣

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Trying a Pirlo, same thing. The one he took against England in the Euros is a perfect example of how to take that kind of penalty. Silva didn't chip the ball, he virtually crossed it slightly to the goalies left, but telegraphed it to the point where the goalkeeper didn't hadly move. One of the worst penalty's I've seen, and I've seen some bad ones.

It wasn’t a panenka though so this comparison is irrelevant

• Haha 1

It was actually a really poor shoot out. Only about 3 of the pens were tight in the corner. Silva was unlucky the keeper decided to stay standing.

That’s the thin line between fool and legend.

7 hours ago, birdman said:

Yep. Take the one guy off who literally exists to score goals and does absolutely nothing else of value 🤣

He did put Alverez on though who is a superb striker. Many times he has come on for Haaland and scored.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

It was actually a really poor shoot out. Only about 3 of the pens were tight in the corner. Silva was unlucky the keeper decided to stay standing.

That’s the thin line between fool and legend.

Silva is unlucky the keeper stood… but there’s also no real pace on his penalty. Usually, if you’re going down the middle, it’s either hit with some power or disguised. Silva’s was weirdly neither - the keeper moved slightly to the side that the shot was obviously going to and was able to almost wait out whether he needed to dive or not.

It was a poor penalty. 

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

He did put Alverez on though who is a superb striker. Many times he has come on for Haaland and scored.

He could've had both on, Real were knackered and not providing any real threat the other way.  Once he came on it was so much easier to defend as you knew they weren't going to put any crosses in the box.  They spent the entire second half of extra time just passing the ball from side to side on the edge of the box waiting for an opportunity that never came.  Still, what's done is done, we just have to get 4th.

Absolutely delighted that Man City are out. The day I want them to win is the day I need to give up on football. 

Integrity and honesty is far more important to me than us getting into the CL by finishing 5th.

We will finish 4th anyway I think

• Like 2

You do wonder why Pep over complicates things in the Champions League. We've seen it before where he's tried weird formations and team selections at crucial times.

Things like taking Haaland off last night don't really make sense. 

Haaland was hardly setting the game alight but he's capable of creating a goal from nothing and you'd back him to score a penalty too

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You do wonder why Pep over complicates things in the Champions League. We've seen it before where he's tried weird formations and team selections at crucial times.

Things like taking Haaland off last night don't really make sense. 

Haaland was hardly setting the game alight but he's capable of creating a goal from nothing and you'd back him to score a penalty too

It’s a trap many managers fall into when the pressure is on. Pep is probably more guilty when most with City in the latter stages of the CL. He seems to feel like he has to do something whacky for some reason.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s a trap many managers fall into when the pressure is on. Pep is probably more guilty when most with City in the latter stages of the CL. He seems to feel like he has to do something whacky for some reason.

It's cos the media and melts on the internet will be like "Wow who saw that move coming big brain Pep legendary move by the GOAT manager that's what mortals can't see" etc

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bobzy said:

@Zatman? :( 

Oops missed this. Bundesliga for me, top teams who play exciting football, not afraid to blood youngsters, great facilities and has a brilliant fan culture plus the fans are well regarded instead of treated as customers.

Bayern naturally is an issue but Dortmund are also in the semi final and Leverkusen broke the monopoly

All leagues have pros and cons though, even the big bad Premier League isnt all that bad 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â