Midweek Football 16/19 April

andykeenan

4 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Just noticed that lots of people here, including me, and also even the BBC have spelt it Olympiakos with a "k" when actually it appears it should be Olympiacos with a "c"

Huh

Might be one is the Greek spelling, like we say 'Brazil' but in Portuguese it's 'Brasil'

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Is it me or do olympiacos have a terrible terrible record in England? Like 1 win in 20 games type terrible 

Edit - it's 10 wins in 38 games vs English clubs, 3 wins in 19 away games - they've beaten arsenal 3 times 

On a completely unrelated note name a team with a notorious record for breaking the duck of strikers/team etc on terrible runs?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Might be one is the Greek spelling, like we say 'Brazil' but in Portuguese it's 'Brasil'

Probably something like that. Interesting that the BBC and Guardian use different spellings though.

not really a general UEFA or competition thread to talk about this but watching last night i do think the conference league looks a good idea - not because we won...when the commentator is saying it's villa's first european semi final for 40 years, it was lille's first european quarter final ever, west ham won it last year, fiorentina are going strong again, the other QF was fenerbahce vs olympiacos, these are all "big" teams in their own right, its strange how a competition that i saw at the start as UEFA box ticking as you had icelandic and bosnian teams making it to group stages for the first time ever come the latter stages is decent, my skepticism has gone (i always wanted us to win it anyway, i didnt want us to play the u17s in it and not care)

i look at the EL line up and maybe thats the same

UEFA are their own worst enemy with these competitions

• Like 1

Â