Pre-match thread - Cup Final 5 of 10

ender4

Truth is if we could field a lineup like we could in the 1st game we'd have a chance. No Kamara and Dougie and I can see us being completely overran in midfield. I'm free hitting this one and, if it were anyone but Arsenal, I think Emery would think the same.

34 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’m not sure. He’s said all season that the league is the priority. Given the coefficient let us down this week, I think he’ll want to try as hard as possible for 4th and throw everything at Arsenal who may be rotating ahead of Bayern.

We will see 

Its our midfield that will kill us. 

I'd go 4 5 1 and hit on the counter. 

Emi

Cash.     Konsa.       Pau.         Digne

Bailey.   Mcginn.  Tim. Youri.    Zaniolo

Ollie

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Its our midfield that will kill us. 

I'd go 4 5 1 and hit on the counter. 

Emi

Cash.     Konsa.       Pau.         Digne

Bailey.   Mcginn.  Tim. Youri.    Zaniolo

Ollie

Maybe Diaby for Zaniolo. Just don’t think we will go as strong unless Emery has been heavily rotating for a final big push. 

What if...

Martinez

Cash     Konsa    Pau             Digne

Lenglet

Diaby.       Tim.        McGinn

Tielemans

Watkins

It folds back to a 5-3-1-1 for when Saka goes. I'm REALLY trying to protect the midfield here, I'm giving Tim a start and Lenglet provides him additional cover. You could swap Pau and Lenglet honestly as I think having Pau's passing being missing due to midfield issues has hurt our attack. If he could venture forward because he knew Lenglet and Konsa were behind him. He could also read potential attack lanes and I have him favoring the Saka side here.

I'm putting Diaby in because I think he runs back better than Bailey to defend. He also deserves a big start.

I keep advocating to cover the midfield, but it's not in Unai's plans. I honestly think he has decided that we are so decimated in midfield/defense that it's tim to just try and outscore people, so every game we are targeting 3 goals or more. We aren't doing it, so here we go.

16 hours ago, ben1505 said:

Anyone confident of getting anything from the game?

the-miz-when-my-hand-goes-up.gif

We can do these plastic cockeneys. 

Arsenal have a hell of a question here: prioritize the League, or being European Champions?

With Bayern on rest, they can't play full strength for both. Villa at least have the luxury of a lead going to the continent for their game. And an extra rest day.

6 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Have to go full team now v Arsenal or we’ll regret it. 

Can't believe people talking about playing the B team and throwing the game. Yeah, let's surrender our goal difference.  Div's. 

We've beaten this lot once this season, we've a good record there.

Lets beat these suckers (who will INEVITABLY surrender the title challenge) and leave Spurs eating our dust. 

What has the world become where people endorse throwing a game when we can taste The Champions League? I dispair. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What has the world become where people endorse throwing a game when we can taste The Champions League?

The world where we have two more winnable games coming up in the next seven days.

Three points available v Bournemouth. Three v Arsenal.

Rest legs for me.

31 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

Arsenal have a hell of a question here: prioritize the League, or being European Champions?

With Bayern on rest, they can't play full strength for both. Villa at least have the luxury of a lead going to the continent for their game. And an extra rest day.

I think their plan will be to start strong, go 2-0 up and then sub off key players around the 70th minute mark.

You get the feeling we probably will see that as not a total disaster and do the same aswell.

We shouldn't be starting with a scratch team though, that sends the wrong signals for the second game running.

I do think Bailey has hit a bit of a lull last six weeks and Diaby has generally been better in most of the games so think he'll get the start as our wide attacker to support Ollie. Feels like a game Moreno will come in for given we'll need to defend for long spells on Thursday so Digne is more logical but can't see Moreno v Saka fills me with much confidence based on his performances in 2024.

We'll do well not to concede three goals. Hopefully we have some threat at the other end.

Are people missing that Arsenal will win the league if they win their final 7 games. I don't think they're going to be resting half their team. It will likely just be Trossard in for Martinelli or Zinchenko in for Kiwor.

Saka, Odegaard, Rice, Saliba, Gabriel, White...they'll all be starting v us I think you can guarantee. 

Not expecting anything here at all. Think Arsenal beat us comfortably. 

They'll just kill our midfield, can't see us getting much of a grip on the game. Keep it close and don't make it another Man City score and I reckon that'll be ok for us. 

• Like 1