Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/04/24 at 22:59

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

This commentary woman (after the match) saying things like "Manchester United have the opportunity to put pressure on Villa and Spurs with a visit to Brentford....next!"  and "Manchester United as they make a charge for Europe"

Hmmmmm, 12 points behind us....... Yes, real pressure. 

Lol I mean it's kind of their job to make things more interesting. Would be boring if they said... up next two teams go head to head in a potentially meaningless match.

19 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Lol I mean it's kind of their job to make things more interesting. Would be boring if they said... up next two teams go head to head in a potentially meaningless match.

Well possibly but it looks like Manu were unable to apply pressure and their CL charge is more of a waddle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

We were in control other than that one Martinez save in the first 20 mins. 

Played well.

Drives me nuts that the reports are all like “Villa were lucky Martinez saved that, it could have been different if Wolves had scored…” - that’s why we signed a great goalkeeper. It’s as if Haaland scoring was met with “this would have been more in doubt if Haaland didn’t score lots of goals” - Emi saves those, it’s what he does. 

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

Really encouraging, great to have another ball carrier in the team and his height and strength are real assets. Expect much more from him…

Similarly impressed by Zaniolo in that second half, hopefully he can contribute more and more…

The more members of the squad that can help out, the better.

N keep going Moussa 👏 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

We were strangely hesitant for the first 20 minutes or so, in all aspects of our play. Odd because overall we defended pretty well but in defence and attack we were a bit sluggish and maybe lacking in confidence or overwhelmed by the significance of the match?

Once we had a goal, all of that seemed to disappear. We took control of the match and confined Wolves to counterattacking, which we generally dealt with comfortably.

What a goal it was from Diaby by the way, superb placing and a blistering shot. He seems to be running into a rich vein of form and is now giving us exactly the sort of performance we might have hoped for when we signed him. That and his excellent assist for the second goal, as well as his general play throughout gave him MOTM for me.

There were strong performances all over the pitch - special shouts out to Konsa, Torres, Tielemans, Bailey, and Douglas Luiz.Well done too to the two youngsters Rogers and Duran who are hailing to shoulder more responsibility than they might have expected at this stage in their time with Villa. Depending in the injury news with Watkins, Duran may have a much bigger role in the run in.

One of our main problems at the moment seems to be how regularly attacks break down in our final third. Hopefully it gets sorted because with Diaby finding some form we could really cause some problems. That said we're probably a bit top heavy out of necessity and when McGinn comes back in I expect one of Diaby or Rogers will drop back to the bench.

It was a pretty competent refereeing performance I thought, made even more bearable by the complete lack of VAR interference.

Good win though, and I thought Emery had a really good game - each one of his subs had the desired effect.

Edited by Ponky

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

He’s banging on about having higher XG as if that means more than actual goals.

This is where the stats only tell you so much. My guess is that the konsa goalwould have scored something like 0.1 (or lower) XG because barely anyone scores when trying to shoot from that angle. But we all know from watching the game that he was trying to cross- if Duran heads it in or it hits the post and comes out for a Duran tap in then that’s presumably a way higher scoring chance in XG terms so presumably we then win Gary’s precious XG battle 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Well possibly but it looks like Manu were unable to apply pressure and their CL charge is more of a waddle.

Even after Utd only drew Kelly Cates said “Man Utd with it all to do in the race for the top 4”

Theyre not in the race love. They have a very slim chance of 5th. They ain’t getting 4th in a month of Sundays

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JPJCB said:

He’s banging on about having higher XG as if that means more than actual goals.

This is where the stats only tell you so much. My guess is that the konsa goalwould have scored something like 0.1 (or lower) XG because barely anyone scores when trying to shoot from that angle. But we all know from watching the game that he was trying to cross- if Duran heads it in or it hits the post and comes out for a Duran tap in then that’s presumably a way higher scoring chance in XG terms so presumably we then win Gary’s precious XG battle 

Poch started it all off with his Chelsea should be 4th nonsense. Love a reporter to actually engage with them and suggest changing the point system to reflect these stats, that would take the wind out of their sails. 🤣

Edited by tinker