Pre-match thread - Cup Final 3 of 10

ender4

Hopefully Bailey channels his inner Messi like he did in the home fixture. They literally couldn't deal with him. 

What I do find interesting is I don't think Guardiola has a plan B. Plan A is to dominate, pass the opposition into oblivion etc... but we saw in the reverse fixture, when we literally destroyed them and 4 or 5-0 wouldn't have flattered us, he didn't have a clue what to do. Nor did the players who looked totally rattled by what they were coming up against. 

Hopefully the Don has something up his sleeve for tonight. A point would be lovely, 3 would be unreal given our injuries. 

I think we can get a result tonight! If we stick to Emery's game plan.  I trust him!! But, what does worry me is that we fold and let in a bucketful. We have a similar GD to Spurs..  it could be the deciding factor in the end.  So, hope for a result but if we get beat let it be low scoring!

• Like 2

Not sure about this one, they'll be up for revenge and to get points on the board. If they get an early goal, could be quite comfortable for them. If not, I think they/ the crowd with get quite anxious which we can hopefully exploit. 

Going here without 6/7 first team players and hopefully giving them a game. So proud of what we're doing. UTV.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Hate that expression. No game is a free hit. Losers mentality and Emery is a winner 

I'm just gonna assume Tottenham will lose to City so the game is in principle a free hit.

All we have to do is to match their results

Gonna be a tough game tonight, it has become a must win for Citeh.

Most positions will pick themselves but I would definitely start Digne & Zaniolo, both played well on Saturday and are more physical than Moreno & Rogers.

🤞UTV

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I'm just gonna assume Tottenham will lose to City so the game is in principle a free hit.

Can you assume anything in football. I think we can hurt them tonight even without Watkins. 

Edited by PaulC

16 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’d look to start Zaniolo over Rogers, if indeed it’s a straight choice between the two. Rogers has shown some decent potential but the weakest aspect of his game appears to be defending, Zaniolo might be able to apply a little more experience and maturity (might).

Missing McGinn and Kamara will make a significant difference versus the home game earlier in the season I think, so I guess we’ll have to approach it differently.

I agree, albeit I think he might start with Rogers and finish with Zaniolo.

I think that applies to a good percentage of the squad. It will be something UE will be working on with him.

I don't think selections will make as much difference as our mental approach to the game. we are already without key players, so selection of what's left, will be debatable.

We was up for it, at Home.....we need to bring a similar mentality to the game.

Edited by TRO

On 01/04/2024 at 21:11, VillaChris said:

From what I saw Kovacic is their relatively weak link. A very good player in his own right but hasn't quite settled into their system and can give the ball away when pressed so a bit like Tielemans for us.

Of course if we just stand five yards off him all game he'll be constantly pinging 40 yard diagonals to their wide players like the rest of them.

They'll want to get Walker back for sure to nullify Bailey as he was unplayable in the VP match.

The wildcard option I guess is we just dust off Chambers, stick him into midfield and cross our fingers but that also has the potential to go badly badly wrong.

I think, we may have to go man to man on their engine room, Rodri and stop the supply lines....maybe a role for Tim.

I remember a time when an academy player, David Evans did exactly that on Johan Cruyff at Villa Park, and completely negated him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Can you assume anything in football. I think we can hurt them tonight even without Watkins. 

Spurs ain't getting anything against City

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Have a look at Spurs recent home run v Man. City....

It will likely be placed in the last midweek of the season aswell so Man. City may be out of the title race by then which wouldn't be great for us as they'll rest a few if they're in cup finals again.

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree, albeit I think he might start with Rogers and finish with Zaniolo.

I think that applies to a good percentage of the squad. It will be something UE will be working on with him.

I have a feeling Rogers will get his first goal tonight.

Just now, duke313 said:

I have a feeling Rogers will get his first goal tonight.

funny, you say that...I have had the same feeling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hopp said:

I think we can get a result tonight! If we stick to Emery's game plan.  I trust him!! But, what does worry me is that we fold and let in a bucketful. We have a similar GD to Spurs..  it could be the deciding factor in the end.  So, hope for a result but if we get beat let it be low scoring!

If we stand off them, we are dead.....it really is that simple.....we have to compete.