New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

It makes everything better. Nothing fishy about it at all!

Fish and gravy! You monster!

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I don't believe a 'goldilocks' location exists either, but then I don't believe Villa Park has perfect transport links, again you're glossing over the difficulties between those links and the stadium and indeed every point I've been trying to make.

Have a good day, I'm going to go and shout into a void for a bit.

I agree that things aren't 100% perfect at Villa Park and I made that clear in my reply. I am saying that it wont be perfect anywhere else either. If anything, it would be worse. 

I have answered your points. I really dont get the hostility. 

Anyway, lets leave it there.

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I mean, well done to them...

I didn't say a new stadium would fix these problems, or that another site might be better, or indeed that I want a new stadium. In fact, it seems like you didn't read my post at all. I'm simply stating the site we are on isn't perfect. Burying your head in the sand and dismissing this isn't going to help to move along the conversation.

Having good transport links is pointless if they can't be used correctly. Increasing the capacity on the current site with these problems still existing is only going to make matters worse. It heavily limits what we can do with the site we are on.

What we need are solutions to these problems, not people saying 'Well there are good transport links so everything is fine'. It is not that black and white, things rarely are.

I don't think anyone is claiming the current site is perfect,  just that there are already some advantages to it over potential alternatives.    Does the perfect site even exist?  Where has the transport infrastructure been designed specifically to cater for 60,000 + crowds every couple of weeks ?  Etihad and Olympic Stadium possibly,  but do they actually work any better in practice than other venues?   The NEC, on paper, looks a good bet but the M42 is a nightmare at the best of times.   The lack of trains and carriages could be addressed between the club and the transport authorities, and if it was maybe fewer people would go by car.      

• Like 2

The West Midland Metro is extending to the HS2 interchange. So more transport links. Maybe a bigger stadium (70k plus) with a sporting resort is the long term goal for the club. Wembley of the West Midlands housed by the biggest club in the region.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

The West Midland Metro is extending to the HS2 interchange. So more transport links. Maybe a bigger stadium (70k plus) with a sporting resort is the long term goal for the club. Wembley of the West Midlands housed by the biggest club in the region.

The infrastructure around the HS2 interchange will be unrivalled in this country, the opportunity presented by it is a complete non brainer I'm just glad SHA aren't in a position to jump ahead of us because any stadium located there is a sure fire financial success.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

The infrastructure around the HS2 interchange will be unrivalled in this country, the opportunity presented by it is a complete non brainer I'm just glad SHA aren't in a position to jump ahead of us because any stadium located there is a sure fire financial success.

Well, according to most on their forum, they have bought the Wheels site and are building a 60,000 stadium there.

Not even joking, they genuinely, genuinely believe it. Not only that, but it will host NFL games and concerts and be THE stadium for any event in the Midlands. It's one of the reasons they love their new owners; for giving them this stadium.

I dont know how many levels of delusion that is but it's quite a few. Idiots.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Well, according to most on their forum, they have bought the Wheels site and are building a 60,000 stadium there.

Not even joking, they genuinely, genuinely believe it. Not only that, but it will host NFL games and concerts and be THE stadium for any event in the Midlands. It's one of the reasons they love their new owners; for giving them this stadium.

Did they add a 0 onto the end of that number by mistake? Seems more plausible if you account for that

1 hour ago, El Segundo said:

I don't think anyone is claiming the current site is perfect,  just that there are already some advantages to it over potential alternatives.    Does the perfect site even exist?  Where has the transport infrastructure been designed specifically to cater for 60,000 + crowds every couple of weeks ?  Etihad and Olympic Stadium possibly,  but do they actually work any better in practice than other venues?   The NEC, on paper, looks a good bet but the M42 is a nightmare at the best of times.   The lack of trains and carriages could be addressed between the club and the transport authorities, and if it was maybe fewer people would go by car.      

The club has tried to address this multiple times over a long period of time, but dealing with councils, especially ones that are now broke is not as simple or easy a solution as it sounds. If it was that easy, it would have been done a long time ago. I'm not sure where we are at now with the Witton Station refurb or how much difference it is going to make 

I'm not saying other grounds don't have similar issues, or that a different site won't have the same or other issues. 

What I'm ultimately confused by is that I want to find solutions to these issues so that we can stay on the current site, but the people who want to stay at Villa Park seem to be the ones who want to ignore them, and just say everything is fine when it quite clearly isn't.

We can't keep increasing the attendance with things as they are, the matchday experience will become ruined for everyone eventually if we do. We aren't going to sell corporate seats if it takes hours to get to and from the ground, sitting in traffic is not an experience people pay for, and we aren't going to able to update the ground to 50/60k if we can barely handle the 42k people we are getting in now.

I don't care what Spurs have or haven't done, I don't care if other stadiums have similar issues, I just want a better experience for everyone who goes to our ground and I am exasperated that others don't seem to see it.

I'm no town planner, but having some police directing traffic, shuttle busses (for a reasonable fee) from the city center, making some streets one way on matchday, there has to be ways of fixing it in the short term, but also longer-term finding ways of investing in the area to create more safe parking etc. even buy some a bit away and tram people in, stick a helipad on top of a stand... I don't bloody know... put a metro station under the ground that goes straight into town... just something!

Sorry, I'm having a bad day... I just want to be able to take my Dad or my kids to a game and it be a nice experience for them, I think that should be the minimum requirement, and the traffic/travel issues around our ground really do put that in jeopardy.

• Like 2

small heath are moving stadium, plans likely to be anounced on April 9th at a fans forum that has been codenamed 'operation ambition', those in the know have been told the plans 'will blow people's minds', but whether it will all actually go ahead is another thing. They had held talks with the council over the wheels site, but last I heard there were problems buying it, I think amazon, as in the company, already plans for it or something

11 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

What I'm ultimately confused by is that I want to find solutions to these issues so that we can stay on the current site, but the people who want to stay at Villa Park seem to be the ones who want to ignore them, and just say everything is fine when it quite clearly isn't.

I don't care what Spurs have or haven't done, I don't care if other stadiums have similar issues, I just want a better experience for everyone who goes to our ground and I am exasperated that others don't seem to see it.

I don't think people who want to stay at VP are ignoring the issues, just that the same issues might be just as bad or even worse if we relocate.  The references to other clubs spanking new stadiums failing to overcome similar issues illustrates the point. 

• Thanks 1

This thread itself basically a fantasy about something that isn't happening, time to shut up and about Southgate and enjoy the ride, lets see what Atarios have got planned if anything, eighty million is a lot of dough for a small percentage, surprised no one is talking about that, it's something that has actually happened, is happening

7 minutes ago, useless said:

This thread itself basically a fantasy about something that isn't happening, time to shut up and about Southgate and enjoy the ride, lets see what Atarios have got planned if anything, eighty million is a lot of dough for a small percentage, surprised no one is talking about that, it's something that has actually happened, is happening

Wrong thread 😆

16 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

I don't think people who want to stay at VP are ignoring the issues, just that the same issues might be just as bad or even worse if we relocate.  The references to other clubs spanking new stadiums failing to overcome similar issues illustrates the point. 

Might, but it is very very far from definite. Is there any harm in looking to see if there's anything better? Where there's more room to expand and a council more sympathetic to our needs? It might not even exist, but we'll certainly never find it if we never look. So others with new grounds haven't dealt with the traffic/travel issues very well, it doesn't mean we won't. We might do better.

Surely we all want the best for the club and the fans? If our site is holding us back why not look to see if there's anything better?

Or you know, we could try and fix the problems with the current site instead of just accepting them because other places might have similar issues.

I don't see the point in ruling out either option.

3 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

Personally i think the wheels are in motion for something anyway. There is more to gain financially by having a new stadium but time will tell. 

Villa's new stadium announced April 8th -  A new build at the wheels park. A Claret and Blue dome built in the shape of a boot towering over St Andrews - just for our u21 team though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Segundo said:

Exactly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Are you not aware that Robert Wagner now owns all of Birmingham?

My tuppence (not literally, and I don't have a fanny).

Two choices.

1. Stay at VP and develop it into a 60k stadium. Which sounds like a logistical nightmare for all sorts of reasons, but its just about possible.
Pros  Its carrying on a grand legacy. Proximity to city centre.
Cons: It will not represent value for money, transport links aren't great, we'll have to ply in a reduced capacity stadium for a while, disruption, lack of room.

2. Move to a new site near the NEC, or the NEC Birmingham to give it t's proper title. Which is next to Birmingham Business Park, Birmingham Airport and Birmingham International Train Station. None of this Solihull nonsense there.
Small Heath can stfu. We'll always be the first and biggest team in Birmingham.

Pros: Built to spec, far more room, better transport links, modern stadium - easier to sell as a multi use commercial venue, increased revenue, no disruption, caters for increased fanbase. Excitement of a new era.
Cons: Leaving VP will be painful.

I never thought I'd advocate leaving VP. I'm not sure if I am now. But does it make more sense if you leave all the emotional attachments aside? Yes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, useless said:

small heath are moving stadium, plans likely to be anounced on April 9th at a fans forum that has been codenamed 'operation ambition', those in the know have been told the plans 'will blow people's minds', but whether it will all actually go ahead is another thing. They had held talks with the council over the wheels site, but last I heard there were problems buying it, I think amazon, as in the company, already plans for it or something

They've sold out twice in the past 5 years (one time against us and last month against Sunderland where they were practically giving the tickets away). That seems really stupid. Maybe they've drafted in the architectural genius of Tony Xia as the brains behind this, theme park and all.

I'm sure it'll end up being a great lesson for clubs (including us) on how absolutely not to approach a problematic stadium

Edited by wishywashy