New Aston Villa Stadium Chat

VillaChris

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Ask Coventry how this went

Coventry didn't own their stadium. They were tenants. 

I'm not sure they'd be in any better position at Highfield Road mind. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Something like this to put Villa on the map.

The World's Largest Soccer Stadium Breaks Ground in Guangzhou

I think buying every premises and turning Perry Bar and Newtown in their entirety into a forest might be considered a bit ostentatious for the redevelopment of a football stadium?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think buying every premises and turning Perry Bar and Newtown in their entirety into a forest might be considered a bit ostentatious for the redevelopment of a football stadium?

Save The Villa, Save The Planet

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Coventry didn't own their stadium. They were tenants. 

I'm not sure they'd be in any better position at Highfield Road mind. 

New stadium is in a slightly better area to be fair! If they were still in Hillfields, it might be a bit better nowadays.

This was a very good chat.

They basically picked a scenario where one person had to make arguments FOR and AGAINST moving from VILLA PARK.

Good arguments for both scenarios in honesty which left me conflicted.

I;m thinking and hoping that the owners and Aitoros etc actually have a grand, groundbreaking plan to be able to redevelop VP in ways we never thought possible. ( I. E even better than original " suspended " plan.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

13 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Villa park has no presence on the big nights. Tonight showed. We won't miss it. 

What would create a presence though? If by this you’re suggesting a new 60,000 seater bowl / Villa Park, it won’t.  Have you seen any West Ham games on TV or Live? 

A night like last night will happen in any stadium, regardless of size.

Inter Milan, Ajax, Athletico Madrid, Everton on our first home game back in the Premier League, etc etc. Many many glorious nights under the lights at Villa Park and some loudest I’ve witnessed.

Honestly, don’t see how a new stadium automatically means an improved atmosphere? 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Thanks 1

If we move VP from Aston to say the NEC will we change our name like Wimbledon did to MK Dons?.....seeing as we won't be in Aston anymore....perhaps this will be another one of those fan feedback things like the debacle of the badge, terrace view etc etc

Will this then give SMA the green light to claim the city as their own...?

4 hours ago, dukes said:

Add also the cost of building stands while keeping the ground open, and i do wonder if the redevelopment of the ground might be having a total re-think. I can see us moving to a new ground near to the NEC (as Doug Ellis once wanted), or being held back more and more by our desire to stay at our spiritual home (none of which is even the same as when i was a kid, and hence nothing to be nostalgic about)..

The NEC gets mentioned a lot, but I'm not sure it's viable now - the chunk of land that would be perfect (the one once suggested for the national stadium before Wembley took it) has gone to HS2 - there will be a large station on it - you're then looking at patches of land that are further out, and once you get a distance from the NEC all of the potential transport links worsen. The NEC Group have been looking to develop housing on some of the smaller patches of land and the big patch on the other side of the M42 is gone to HS2. I'm not sure there's a viable site at the NEC.

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The NEC gets mentioned a lot, but I'm not sure it's viable now - the chunk of land that would be perfect (the one once suggested for the national stadium before Wembley took it) has gone to HS2 - there will be a large station on it - you're then looking at patches of land that are further out, and once you get a distance from the NEC all of the potential transport links worsen. The NEC Group have been looking to develop housing on some of the smaller patches of land and the big patch on the other side of the M42 is gone to HS2. I'm not sure there's a viable site at the NEC.

Also why would the NEC support the development of a rival multi use entertainment venue on their doorstep. 

41 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Also why would the NEC support the development of a rival multi use entertainment venue on their doorstep. 

Well they're currently prepping to be sold by Blackstone so it might not be completely out of the question that they'll be selling bits off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well they're currently prepping to be sold by Blackstone so it might not be completely out of the question that they'll be selling bits off.

Ahh. Here's where we find that it's sold for several multiples of what BCC sold it for a few short years ago in a firesale. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I find it hard to believe there isn't another suitable plot of land in that general area, and surely having a HS2 station, an Airport and main railway stations as well as access to the M40, M42, M6 and M5 close by make the area ideal ?

1 hour ago, dukes said:

I find it hard to believe there isn't another suitable plot of land in that general area, and surely having a HS2 station, an Airport and main railway stations as well as access to the M40, M42, M6 and M5 close by make the area ideal ?

Go on Google maps, switch to satellite View and you can see there just isn't the necessary space around there, without knocking something else already there down. Or as OBE said, moving too far away from the reasons you'd want to be there.  That's before you even get in to the fact that it's then further away from Aston than the blues ground would be.

Where we are, is realistically the biggest plot of land with minimal impacts to anything if we want to expand it/rebuild it, and comfortably the only location in Aston that a stadium could be. If we want to keep our beautiful name, I don't think we can move that distance.