Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Match Polls  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/24 at 23:59

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah he can't be starting on Thursday.  We need to give Tim his chance and McGinn owes us a performance (to say the least), bring Doug on for half an hour if needed.

Was just thinking on this:

Dibu

cash

carlos

pau

moreno

tim

mcginn

ramsey/rogers

diaby

tielemans

watkins

Tim needs his time, he’s about to play 3 PL games against European competition essentially (Wolves are currently in great form)

Edited by 479Villan

Just now, ben1505 said:

We need to beat: West Ham, Wolves, Brentford, Bournemouth, Palace… that would put us on 70 points and will prob be enough for top 4/5

I think we'll lose to Wolves.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I agree. I also think we're running up against a reality that no one really wants to face and talk about, and that's simply that our player-quality -- whilst amazing -- falls slightly short, overall, of the clubs at the very top. It feels like we're doing a lot with dwindling resources, and it's starting to catch up? I actually think today could have gone either way before the post-HT collapse. I wouldn't rate Tottenham as the very top, but they and ManU are our closest rivals for fourth.

Yeah spot on. 

It comes back to the thing that Tro and I have been banging on about all season. Any team that harries us and stresses us out when in possession has a good chance of winning.

Our champagne football comes when the opposition lets us play. Spurs hassled us and we're much better on the ball when they had it and that is because on the whole, they have better players.

Doesn't stop our achievements this season from being amazing, but it does look to be the case that we are running out of steam as Spurs are gathering theirs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheMightyVillans said:

a setup that limits spurs to just 1 shot and 0 shots on target at half time isn't that bad. We had a few moments in the first half to score on the counter but bailey and watkins were very poor with their touches.

Spurs first goal was a great cross and then the 2nd goal was a gift. Then mcginn puts the nail in the coffin with a stupid tackle.

I can take losing to spurs but losing mcginn for the 3 games at this time in the season when we have already lost kamara for rest of season is really depressing... He has really stuffed us up just like that kamara red did previously.

Why are we setting up to limit them at all? 

that’s the issue I have 

I don't think it's about quality. We have shown thsts the quality is there but Spurs looked a lot fresher thsn us particularly 2nd half. It was the same under MON. Come March we faded away because of the lack of a squad.

• Like 1

Bailey should have been key for us to day but he looked either not fully fit or unwell or something, he just wasn't his usual self today.  He still looked more likely to make something happen than Diaby  or Zaniolo.   Watkins seemed strangely reluctant to shoot.

Gave Cash MoM just because he did some good things as well as some bad, whereas most others were just bad.  Would possibly have been McGinn but he threw away any chance of us coming back with a stupid challenge, and we're now without him for three games.

I actually think Emery needs to take responsibility for two things. 

One, we once again came out after half time half asleep and lacking focus and quickly conceded.  It's happened so many times this season I've lost count and I think teams have cottoned on and step it up the first five to ten minutes after half time to take advantage of an obvious weakness. 

Two, sticking to your principles is all well and good but surely there's a case for going long if you've been closed down by a swarm of attackers - it's better to concede possession by hitting it long into their half than it is to concede possession in the final third trying to pass it out through them when the odds are stacked against you.  It's cost us against Newcastle, Chelsea in the Cup and again today.   

I noticed it when we played them at WHL and again today, their players are so much bigger than ours. We get bullied so easily and in a game of fine margins, that can make a significant difference.

Just now, Don_Simon said:

I noticed it when we played them at WHL and again today, their players are so much bigger than ours. We get bullied so easily and in a game of fine margins, that can make a significant difference.

It sure can....but we have allowed that to happen, over a given period of time.....Most teams players are bigger than ours....we are lightweight.

Just now, Don_Simon said:

Just now, El Segundo said:

Bailey should have been key for us to day but he looked either not fully fit or unwell or something, he just wasn't his usual self today.  He still looked more likely to make something happen than Diaby  or Zaniolo.   Watkins seemed strangely reluctant to shoot.

Gave Cash MoM just because he did some good things as well as some bad, whereas most others were just bad.  Would possibly have been McGinn but he threw away any chance of us coming back with a stupid challenge, and we're now without him for three games.

I actually think Emery needs to take responsibility for two things. 

One, we once again came out after half time half asleep and lacking focus and quickly conceded.  It's happened so many times this season I've lost count and I think teams have cottoned on and step it up the first five to ten minutes after half time to take advantage of an obvious weakness. 

Two, sticking to your principles is all well and good but surely there's a case for going long if you've been closed down by a swarm of attackers - it's better to concede possession by hitting it long into their half than it is to concede possession in the final third trying to pass it out through them when the odds are stacked against you.  It's cost us against Newcastle, Chelsea in the Cup and again today.   

I think that's a tad unfair on Zanilolo, although I agree in regards to Diaby.

If our starting 11 had shown the fiery spirit that Zani showed when coming on, it may well have been a different outcome. The effort to make something happen is sometimes what gives a team the catalyst it desires. 

• Like 1