Match Thread: Villa v Spurs

limpid

1 minute ago, ozvillafan said:

We look tired - especially our attacking 2.

5 at the back is too generous to Spuds. We can't play out with both wingbacks sitting deep.

Have seen this a couple of times but I'm not really seeing it.

Ollie has made a few gut busting runs too.

It's finesse and decision making we seem to be lacking.

Bare in mind Spurs are always pressing very hard and aggressively 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

Decent half.  Think we've had the better of the chances.  Some of Konsa's passing has been "interesting" but I think both defences are slightly struggling that the midfield is pretty packed and so there are fewer easy out balls.  Hopefully we can nick this 1-0.

• Like 1

We're looking very well organised but not getting out enough. If it works and we get a result then all good but it will be disappointing if we end up losing without laying a glove.

• Like 1

Ollie lack of confidence to shoot is very odd. Maybe still in pain from early challenge?

Either way  cagey stuff. We seem to be Happy to contain  and feels  like Unai is happy with a draw. Dangerous game though

We had the two best chances to get in. First Luiz waited too long, second Bailey didn’t see Tielemans wide open. They’ve had absolutely nothing so tactically it’s been decent tbh 

• Like 2

Very tactical first half.  I was a bit worried to start with but it seemed to click after that.  Just unfortunately lost our footing or miscontrolled when we've done the hard work, hopefully second half we can get going in the final third.

Just now, Wurzel said:

Refwatch: Nothing to report officials have been OK.

Yeah I think so too, 1st pen shout he got lucky it wasnt a good tackle, 2nd pen shout was absolutely nothing

My only gripe was both linos have flagged late for easy decisions, ollie and kulusevski were different postcode offsides

Total opposite to what I expected. 

Almost like we are saying to them 'Come on, what you got'. 

If a goal goes in either end this game will explode into a mental frenzy.

• Like 1

Just now, villan95 said:

We're looking very well organised but not getting out enough. If it works and we get a result then all good but it will be disappointing if we end up losing without laying a glove.

Two teams who are good at exploiting space in behind the defence.  I think we're doing the right thing but making sure we don't leave gaps at the back.

We're by far the better side even though we're not at the races which is a good sign. Probably something to do with how we're playing a new formation and deliberately counteracting Spurs instead of trying to outplay them with our usual play. 

Spurs don't have another way of playing other than running even harder, Emery has the nouce and the players on the bench to change this. 

Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Have seen this a couple of times but I'm not really seeing it.

Ollie has made a few gut busting runs too.

It's finesse and decision making we seem to be lacking.

Bare in mind Spurs are always pressing very hard and aggressively 

Our counter play proves we aren’t lethargic. We still break so well and that Spurs have to their credit put in so many good blocks is a reflection of that. 

• Like 1

They've had more of the ball obviously, aided how we've set up, but we've had the only chances and they've not had a single shot on goal.

That first half at their place they could & should've been 5 up,  I actually like what Unai has done here. 

If we go behind, I do hope he has plan B to get back into it. I'm sure he has.

All to play for...