Pre match thread

Lerner's Driver

3 hours ago, John said:

Coral have us @ 5/4 to win and the home team @ 2/1 on Saturday. They also have us 1/8 to finish in the top 6 and 7/4 to end up in the top 4 (Manchester United are 5/1🤞). The bookies are still in our corner. ;)

I would say the chance of us finishing 7th or lower now is practically 0%.

It would require one of Newcastle/West Ham/Brighton to win like 11 out of their last 14 games.

I think on the bright side - I wouldn't classify Fulham as a physically dominant team.

That back line of Castagne/Diop/Ream/Robinson doesn't strike me as formidable.

Marco Silva is a decent tactician though and might try the same things that we have struggled with in recent weeks. Block the middle - force us down the flanks and disable our central progression. JJ will be key to unlocking them. Castagne is not going to want to follow him inside so I'd expect a lot to go down the JJ/Moreno side and try to leave Bailey isolated with Robinson. Robinson's got a lot of pace and I believe leads the league in interceptions but has always been unconvincing in 1v1 situations.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I would say the chance of us finishing 7th or lower now is practically 0%.

It would require one of Newcastle/West Ham/Brighton to win like 11 out of their last 14 games.

I like your confidence, but Brighton and Newcastle won't share it. I hope you are proved right though. 🤞

Squad is dropping like flies at present.  May have to change formation as well as personnel for this one at least.  Two options really, either 352 / 532 formation or the usual 442 / 4222. 

Martinez

Chambers      Pau       Lenglet  

Cash       McGinn         Luiz        Moreno

Ramsey                          

Bailey        Watkins            

Subs:  Olsen, KKH, Digne, Hause, Iroegbunam, Tielemans, Rogers, Zaniolo, Diaby

Or

Martinez

Cash     Chambers       Pau     Digne

Iroegbunam         Luiz              

McGinn                           Ramsey 

Bailey        Watkins            

Subs:  Olsen, KKH, Moreno, Lenglet, Hause, Tielemans, Rogers, Zaniolo, Diaby

Well, I think we can rule out a five man back line. I'd be tempted to shore it up by putting Iroegbunam in front of the centre backs and sacrificing a forward - or even putting Chambers in over Cash to give us some more solidity. The whole thing is suddenly a bit of a mess.

------------------------------------Martinez-------------------------------

Cash-------------Torres------------------Lenglet-----------Digne

--------------Luiz----------Iroegbnuam-----------Mcginn----------

------------Tielemans----------------------------Ramsey--------------

------------------------------------Watkins----------------------------------

I don't think the system will change.

Cash    Lenglet     Torres     Digne

Luiz           McGinn

Bailey                                       JJ

Tielemans

Watkins

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well, I think we can rule out a five man back line. I'd be tempted to shore it up by putting Iroegbunam in front of the centre backs and sacrificing a forward - or even putting Chambers in over Cash to give us some more solidity. The whole thing is suddenly a bit of a mess.

Like the defence but surely Bailey must be in the starting 11? (unless he is injured too!)

15 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Like the defence but surely Bailey must be in the starting 11? (unless he is injured too!)

I just went with Tielemans to try to give us some sort of protection - with two attacking fullbacks, and hole in the middle, the more midfielders we can get on that can stop attacks developing the better - you could do that with Bailey I guess, maybe this with a stay at home right back/centre half?

Chambers-----------Torres-------------Lenglet-----------Digne

------Bailey-----------------------------------------------Ramsey------

Bur I don't want to live in a world where I have to put Chambers in my starting line up.

• Like 1

Emery is not going to play Lenglet and Torres CB pairing in a back 4. He likes natural footed CBs for out ball. It will be Torres and Carlos if Torres is fit

Edit: as soon as I post I see Carlos injured JFC!

Edited by Kiwivillan

6 hours ago, Creeper said:

Chambers x Lenglet? 

Pau will start surely?! So he's just doing weeks of training never to start again, eventually we're just going to have to put him in from the start.

No idea whatsoever if Lenglet has ever played on the right but it will have to do for one or two games. Not ideal but tbh we just need to get the attack sorted as we're not going to be keeping a clean sheet in this one so let's at least look capable of scoring a few like we did v Fulham earlier this season.

Only thing I'd say is Fulham don't especially have quick CFs, all od Jimenez, Broja, Muniz and Vinicius are of the same ilk as targetmen you get crosses and the ball quickly up to.

So might just be able to get away with Chambers as not a huge amount of pace will be required but it's a huge risk for sure if Emery just wants to keep the balance.

It's not going to be a great game to watch as we will look very disjointed in our play with the key players missing so don't have an issue if we just go a bit more direct for this and try to scrap a result out. Need must with where we are in the season.

Fairly obvious team really:

……..….….Martinez……………..

Cash…Pau…Lenglet…Digne

………..Luiz…..McGinn…………

Bailey..Tielemans..Ramsey

..…………….Watkins………………

Subs: Olsen, Gauci, Chambers, Moreno, KKH, Iroegbunam, Zaniolo, Diaby, Rogers

Team isn’t balanced but it’s all we have. Don’t want chambers anywhere near the team. Tim could start I suppose but I think he probably drops McGinn back and starts Tielemans. It really looks a poor decision not bringing in a holding midfielder in Jan even on loan which I’m sure we were able to do. Of course Pau has to start, we need him more than ever right now.

Seem to say this every week but we need to win because I think both Man Utd and Tottenham will win again, doubtful we keep a clean sheet so have to take our chances. Ramsey and Watkins need to sharpen up and we need more from Diaby and Zaniolo off the bench, if we get our firepower back we can beat any team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Fairly obvious team really:

……..….….Martinez……………..

Cash…Pau…Lenglet…Digne

………..Luiz…..McGinn…………

Bailey..Tielemans..Ramsey

..…………….Watkins………………

Subs: Olsen, Gauci, Chambers, Moreno, KKH, Iroegbunam, Zaniolo, Diaby, Rogers

Yeah this is how I see it too. But more in the 4-4-2 shape but that's just whatever cos we're quite fluid. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I agree with your back line now we’ve lost Carlos. But I’d be tempted to replace Youri with Bailey. I think we need some pace in attack or Watkins might get isolated. 

We have to pray that Pau has 90 mins in the tank. A bit of a worry after not getting off the bench for the last two games.