Pre match thread

Lerner's Driver

59 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Absolutely must win. If we lose this, our season has officially collapsed. 

I think we win with a nervy 2-0.

I dont think its THAT extreme, forest, Luton next 2. We get 6/9 points off that it keeps us up there. 

3 hours ago, spiezels said:

I dont think its THAT extreme, forest, Luton next 2. We get 6/9 points off that it keeps us up there. 

I disagree, have to win these games when we are not playing Conference League mid week. Once Europe comes back we are going to drop a lot of points to teams on paper we should be beating. 

If we bounce back and win this then it shows bottle, and shows me that we're not actually finished. But Fulham are more than capable at home to put us to bed, and without Kamara and in the form we're in it wouldn't surprise me at all.  In fact the way I'm feeling about us at the moment I'm very downbeat. Of course that all might change, but right now I think we're done. We're going to need Tielemans to step up, and probably Ramsey too. Massive end to the season needed if we're going to rescue any European football for 24/25. I was almost going to this game. I have tickets. But, for other reasons it hasn't happened. I think it'll probably be a 1-1 draw. Either that or we lose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, spiezels said:

2 problems:

6 points isn't good enough from our next 3 matches before we come to the harder matches.

If we don't beat Fulham our confidence will be even lower for the next match and so we could end up with 3 losses in a row.

Lets win this one for Kamara

Martinez

Cash           Carlos          Torres        Moreno

Bailey         Mcginn          Luiz          Ramsey

Tielemans     Watkins

Bench: Olsen, Gauci, Lenglet, Digne, KKH, Iroegbunam, Rogers, Diaby, Zaniolo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Lets win this one for Kamara

Martinez

Cash           Carlos          Torres        Moreno

Bailey         Mcginn          Luiz          Ramsey

Tielemans     Watkins

Bench: Olsen, Gauci, Lenglet, Digne, KKH, Iroegbunam, Rogers, Diaby, Zaniolo

Would go with this exact lineup.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

2 problems:

6 points isn't good enough from our next 3 matches before we come to the harder matches.

If we don't beat Fulham our confidence will be even lower for the next match and so we could end up with 3 losses in a row.

6 points would likely have us back in 4th as Spurs game at Chelsea cancelled with them in league cup final.

Let's get 7/9 just to be on the safe side.....

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This is a really tough game. Didn’t they beat Arsenal not long ago? Hopefully Torres can return to give the team a lift.

Fulham are a really odd team. For most of this season they haven't scored many goals and they were completely toothless at VP. Then after that they had two 5-0 wins and ran Liverpool very close at Anfield and lost 4-3 late on.

In last two months they've had these results at the Cottage:

5-0 win v West Ham

5-0 win v Forest

0-2 loss to Burnley

2-1 win v Arsenal

0-0 v Everton

As inconsistent as you can get.

One thing I would say though is given the midfield readjustment Fulham can certainly take advantage if we are disjointed with quality like Willian and Paliniha in there so I'm leaning more towards a tight 1-1.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 08:56, AVFCDAN said:

Lose this and you're starting to wonder how far we can drop. Wasn't long ago we had dreams of competing for the title and now I'm thinking is top 6 still on?

Seriously?  “ dreams of winning the title” who the f**k realistically thought that ? Thankfully to allay your fears of how far we can drop I think relegation is out of the question at least for this season. Before the season started an away win at Fulham would have been a  reasonable assumption given our ambitions, currently we are 5th with 46 points they are 12th with 29 accepting we have some important injury problems  and despite the fact we lost to a rejuvenated Man Utd last match I still think it’s acceptable to think we could/ should win this. Lets hope the players have more belief than some of their “supporters” on here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smg said:

Seriously?  “ dreams of winning the title” who the f**k realistically thought that ? Thankfully to allay your fears of how far we can drop I think relegation is out of the question at least for this season. Before the season started an away win at Fulham would have been a  reasonable assumption given our ambitions, currently we are 5th with 46 points they are 12th with 29 accepting we have some important injury problems  and despite the fact we lost to a rejuvenated Man Utd last match I still think it’s acceptable to think we could/ should win this. Lets hope the players have more belief than some of their “supporters” on here.

Seeing as you jump on every comment I make I'm going to jump on yours, see how you like it.

He said "competing" for the title, not "winning" it, so you're misquoting him, maybe you should actually read his post instead of making assumptions. And actually yes, we were competing 2 months ago, we were on 38 points from 17 games, over a season that gets you 85 points. Probably won't win it but you're in the conversation. Many posters were saying they thought we could finish 3rd above Arsenal.

It's all very well getting on your high horse speaking down to people about how they should 'support' their team, everyone has different emotions when it comes to that and expresses their opinions in different ways, doesn't make them any less of a supporter than you, but of course you think you're the model fan and everyone should blindly follow the team without any form of criticism whatsoever.

This idea that we've done incredibly well up to Christmas and whatever happens from now until the end of the season we should shrug our shoulders and say 'ah, well they gave it a good go' is madness, and it's madness to think supporters would think like that, regardless of perspective, they are Villa fans and want the club to succeed. But yet you continue to be more interested in reproaching people on here than focusing on the team and why we aren't winning football matches any more. If you go to every game and follow the club loyally I could probably accept you telling people how they should support, but you're just another armchair fan who seems to spend more time on here than at the games so I don't really think you can dish out any criticism. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Seeing as you jump on every comment I make I'm going to jump on yours, see how you like it.

He said "competing" for the title, not "winning" it, so you're misquoting him, maybe you should actually read his post instead of making assumptions. And actually yes, we were competing 2 months ago, we were on 38 points from 17 games, over a season that gets you 85 points. Probably won't win it but you're in the conversation. Many posters were saying they thought we could finish 3rd above Arsenal.

It's all very well getting on your high horse speaking down to people about how they should 'support' their team, everyone has different emotions when it comes to that and expresses their opinions in different ways, doesn't make them any less of a supporter than you, but of course you think you're the model fan and everyone should blindly follow the team without any form of criticism whatsoever.

This idea that we've done incredibly well up to Christmas and whatever happens from now until the end of the season we should shrug our shoulders and say 'ah, well they gave it a good go' is madness, and it's madness to think supporters would think like that, regardless of perspective, they are Villa fans and want the club to succeed. But yet you continue to be more interested in reproaching people on here than focusing on the team and why we aren't winning football matches any more. If you go to every game and follow the club loyally I could probably accept you telling people how they should support, but you're just another armchair fan who seems to spend more time on here than at the games so I don't really think you can dish out any criticism. 

Thank you

On 12/02/2024 at 23:41, stewiek2 said:

I'm going with...

Rimmer, Gibson, Williams, McNaught, Evans, Bremner, Mortimer, Cowans, Morley, Shaw, Withe.

No Kenny Swain at rb though 

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 19:32, WakefieldVillan said:

After the performance against United, (not the result), I was feeling optimistic about this one, but the news of Kamara's injury and no return date set for Konsa it's left me feeling pretty deflated. 

I think I'd try to keep it as similar as last time out, Pau for Lenglet IF fit & Tim for Kamara. I think he is a more like for like replacement and hopefully we can keep the fluency from yesterday, but with a killer instinct.

Martinez

Cash.      Carlos.      Torres.       Moreno.

Tim.       Luiz.       

Bailey.           McGinn.         Ramsey.

Watkins. 

Bench;

Olsen, Digne, Lenglet, Diaby, Tielemans, Zaniolo, Rogers, KKH, Chambers.

Hard one to predict, they're much better at home than away, won two back to back home games 5-0 in December, beat Arsenal and lost to Burnley, so quite inconsistent. 

They have good players, dangerous players, but without being disrespectful I'd only have Palhinha from the two starting elevens.

F.. it... 1-2 Bailey, Watkins. 

That wouid be my team.  You can't drop Ramsey and Tim has to be given a chance in the double pivot. 

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 17:04, OutByEaster? said:

Difficult to pick a side with the potential injuries - I'll go for a change of system and...

-------------------------------Martinez--------------------------------

----------Carlos------------Torres----------Lenglet-------------

Cash---------------Luiz-----------McGinn--------------Digne

-------------Bailey-------------------------------Ramsey----------

-------------------------------Watkins--------------------------------

subs Olsen, Kesler-Hayden, Chambers, Ireogbunam, Moreno, Tielemans, Diaby, Zaniolo, Rogers

We'd get overun in midfield 

Coral have us @ 5/4 to win and the home team @ 2/1 on Saturday. They also have us 1/8 to finish in the top 6 and 7/4 to end up in the top 4 (Manchester United are 5/1🤞). The bookies are still in our corner. ;)

• Like 1