Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

26 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah but simons doesn't want to play for them either. He is a genuinely word class attacking player but he's also a midget. Would also be like 65 mil at minimum as he's being linked with all the top teams. 

If you think he’s a midget, what do you make of Buendia? Lol

46 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah but simons doesn't want to play for them either. He is a genuinely word class attacking player but he's also a midget. Would also be like 65 mil at minimum as he's being linked with all the top teams. 

Isn’t he 5ft 10?  Not exactly a midget

58 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

That’s why I said a loan would probably be the most realistic option.

36 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

If you think he’s a midget, what do you make of Buendia? Lol

For some reason I thought he was shorter. He's like 5'10 my bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Do you expect us to challenge for the title? Because that's the sort of numbers you're saying we should achieve. 

We are a champions league team now. To stay that way we need to aim for a title challenge. I'm not saying we have to achieve that, but we have to aim for the next step up. 

Also sub 38 goals conceded, does not mean a title win. City and Arsenal both scored over 90 goals. We scored 76. Which is decent, but 61 goals conceded is poor.

Both Newcastle Chelsea had a better goal difference then us. 

68 points also isn't normally enough for 4th, the average is 71 points.

So we have to improve. The most glaring area for improvement is defense.

55 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Duran out for say 40 mill, and Iheanacho in for free as Ollie backup 🤔

Great FFP move?

Hope not.  5 championship goals last season. I don't rate him one bit. Wouid much rather keep Duran and sell other players 

Gauci and the other youngsters i like the idea of the signings yes, how good they are is yet to be seen, i only stated i am not convinced, didnt say disappointed or i want him out but i need to see signs of us going for players of a higher calibre which give a statement of intent especially given the stature of the club. Some of you say its childish or im lacking intelligence when i am simply saying to people im not convinced by the majority of signings since he arrived bar Pau Torres. 

2 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

Not trying to be patronising but this reminded me of Superbad... Bit like McLovin you have to dare to be different at times, think outside the box and I genuinely get your point 👍  I just think the opinion on Monchi can't be made yet until we see more from him.

Whether it be Paul Mitchell, Sven Muslintat or even Monchi (was hated at Roma), these "transfer gurus" who have success at one or two clubs, always inevitably have times where they struggle because its really hard to continually predict how players will turn out or perform in different leagues/teams/systems. It's also why teams like Southampton who relied on finding young gems, eventually stopped finding VVD & Mane's and got Che Adams instead 🤣

There's no guarantee of success with our transfers but I think Monchi knowing exactly what Unai likes/wants and all members of the staff being aligned gives us the best chance to find more good buys than bad. Let's see how he does come the end of January where we'll have seen the performances of his summer signings

Hopefully it doesn't end like this for us...

spacer.png

Well said. Agree with all of this. The key to success for a DoF (or sporting director) is about forward planing, working with a coherent vision in mind, and having a good relationship with the manager. As well as employing the right manager(s).

There are no guarantees. This is also why you have to keep your best players (unless you have good alternatives). Southampton couldn't keep their best players, whether due to finance or stature. So eventually when the quality of their managers declined along with losing their best players things were always good to unravel.

I added the caveat of good alternatives, because if you have have Messi coming through you can cash in on Ronaldinho!

Or when Villa performed better without Luiz recently, than with him, you could consider him sellable for the right price. 

Luiz's performances fell off a cliff in the second half of the season. I would still keep him. But if ffp is an issue 80m plus for him is too good to turn down. McGinn, Tielemens, and Barkley (if he comes) can all play his role.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

Zaniolo and Lenglet were signed last minute as injury cover and were both loans so doesn't really matter if they were amazing or not, both played their part in getting us 4th.  It's a bit premature to judge the January signings (Rogers, Nedjelkovic and Gauci) as they are project signings for the future.

So based on that, I have no idea why you would be doubting Monchi this early into his tenure.

No absolutely not your right i cant judge those players but ive not been given any optimism of going after the calibre of players i feel that we should at this moment in time, i only see us linked to some underwhelming players as of now and also since he had come in, that is subject to change i hope, even in the dean smith and gerrard era there were players we were linked or going for that had abit of a wow factor we are going places feel, i am yet to feel that. 

Just now, RicRic said:

No absolutely not your right i cant judge those players but ive not been given any optimism of going after the calibre of players i feel that we should at this moment in time, i only see us linked to some underwhelming players as of now and also since he had come in, that is subject to change i hope, even in the dean smith and gerrard era there were players we were linked or going for that had abit of a wow factor we are going places feel, i am yet to feel that. 

Basically you want us to be linked with “big” or “superstar” names because we are in the Champions League. It’s slightly reminiscent of a spoilt kid in a toy shop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

That's silly. We have a minimum of 48 games next season. We could realistically be looking at 56-60 again. Just by reaching ro16 of champions league and making it through a few rounds of the domestic cups. Kamara will be missing probably the first 20 games of our season. And can't start the remaining 40 games either.

We need a real quality rotation option to play there. Ideally one who could also play next to and complement Kamara if need be too. 

Signing a new CDM is by far our most important task this summer. Even signing a RB is less important because at least we have 2 players who can cover it right now. CDM we have zero players who we can be comfortable with to start the year and even when Kamara is back in close to half of the remaining games he's not going to be playing. 

You’ve said everything I said. Why don’t you like Ndidi? He’s exactly what you’re asking for. 

11 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

You’ve said everything I said. Why don’t you like Ndidi? He’s exactly what you’re asking for. 

Problem with Ndidi is he's alway injured.

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lads the only reason I brought up Iheanacho is because I saw a tweet saying we were after him lol

He's so shit

16 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

No he's not. 1 he's injury prone which means he's unreliable as cover. 2 he's not a good passer which is a real issue. 3 he's already regressing we don't want to be left holding the bag of his contract. And to top it off he's not that tall. He's not a ball player but he lacks physical size as well. Which hampers us defensively from corner and progressing the ball in open play. Ideally you want both. But you need at least 1. 

We need to spend whatever we can on a CDM. Getting the right fit and player is very important. 

• Like 1

Â