Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

9 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

I’d take Hermoso and Ndidi on frees to start us off 

Thing is they’re not free’s that’s a myth. what isn’t spent on a transfer fee goes on extortionate wages, large agents fees and massive signing on bonuses… Ndidi wouldn’t be worth the wages he’d command and you basically need to bribe agents with stack loads of cash to get their clients to sign… 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, allani said:

I think you and I (and to be honest most people who replied to me yesterday) are making the same point and are looking for the same type of player.  There was a suggestion that Sangare might be a good option - which I questioned because although his defensive stats are quite good, his ability on the ball is questionable.  I said we don't need that type of player because to paraphrase you - there's no point winning the ball if you just give it away again.  The issue we have with Kamara out is that Luiz and McGinn are not defensively disciplined enough - i.e. they are both good on the ball but not at getting it back (McGinn's better at both higher up the pitch).  So we need another player like Kamara who can win the ball and then use it effectively - i.e. someone who is good at getting the ball back and then almost as good as keeping it.  There's very little point signing someone who is only good at one of those things.  Now whether you call that person a DCM, a straight DCM, a ball-playing DCM or whatever is not that important.  What is important (I think) is getting someone who can do both those things as it gives us more balance (something you and I have both stressed the importance of for years) and more options - i.e. potentially playing two of those types of players when we are playing teams that we expect to dominate possession.  I think we've all gone off on a tangent around what to call that type of player when actually I think almost everyone is thinking of the same type of midfielder.  There's some question about how many players there are that are good at both things - in that regard I personally think that a lot of younger players are being coached better in both regards whereas a few years ago it was a bit more - ah you're good on the ball you can be a ball playing midfielder or ah you're good at tackling and built like a brick outbuilding so we'll make you a defensive midfielder.

That's spot on, not only that, they don't have the skill set to cleanly nick the ball away in an incisive fashion....they can be clumsy and clunky in the tackle, which inevitably results in fouls.

The problem is, with the depleted squad, we have little option.....so praise to them, for playing there.

As for the right type of CDM....I am struggling a bit, to understand the thinking of some.....We are in the top echelons of the Premier League, where all central Midfielders with defensive nous, can pass eloquently....They are quality players.

Why would be thinking of a championship standard version, who has limited attributes?

We have moved on.

I think there is a far better appreciation of the CDM role, today....having said that, players like Graeme Souness  and Roy Keane was doing it years ago....Patrick Viera was also well equipped and Busquets has been doing it well for some time.

I think Rodri is amongst the best examples in today's football, possibly Rice too.

PS It's interesting how important Rodri is to Man City, everything ticks around him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Thing is they’re not free’s that’s a myth. what isn’t spent on a transfer fee goes on extortionate wages, large agents fees and massive signing on bonuses… Ndidi wouldn’t be worth the wages he’d command and you basically need to bribe agents with stack loads of cash to get their clients to sign… 

They are cheaper than paying a transfer fee + the wages and agents fees. 

We are singing the players on high but similar contracts to the levels of other top players at the club. The wage structure isn't broken specifically for the free transfers. This would create disharmony in the dressing room and big contract demands from other senior players.

However the player we sign on a free gets to bank a nice signing on fee. There is a risk running down your contract as you can pick up a bad injury like Matip did or even worse pick up the injury at the end of a season and you have a season without a club and no way to prove fitness when back fit.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

That maybe so.....but it's better than paying a shed load of wages etc  AND a hefty transfer fee surely.

I can't see a hefty transfer fee, coming with a low wage.

32 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

This one would be a real good signing, especially for that price too

took his time to find his feet from his man City days, but looks real good now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

It's considered "free" as you don't have to pay the club a transfer fee.  Yes, you have to pay higher amount of all those other things you mentioned, but you have to pay them anyway on top of a large transfer fee.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

This would be class!

It would. Shame it’s football transfers. They’ve even called him an English International in the article.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I reckon this summer will be relatively straightforward. I think we’ll bring in 1 or 2 players who are out of contract very early, and then there will be a big gap in the middle, before the final week or so, where I think we’ll make our somewhat expensive signings (one or two). We don’t need a lot, 3, maybe 4 at a push, to come in so we can continue to compete. 

We do need a bit of a clear out though, we really need to be smarter with the players we loan out, so we can properly benefit. I want us to loan someone to Wrexham so they can appear on the show next season - if we don’t do that, I will riot. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 07/05/2024 at 11:13, Zatman said:

Palace are saying 60 each for him and Eze

I expected more. With new FFP rules coming in Villa should be all over that particularly if they achieve CL qualification! Apparently Olise is Man United’s top target. Why in the hell would he go there. 🤣

If Leeds fail to be promoted I’d be very surprised if Villa are not interested in Gray?

Edited by striker

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It would. Shame it’s football transfers. They’ve even called him an English International in the article.  

I didn’t even get as far as reading the article tbf 😅

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

I reckon this summer will be relatively straightforward. I think we’ll bring in 1 or 2 players who are out of contract very early, and then there will be a big gap in the middle, before the final week or so, where I think we’ll make our somewhat expensive signings (one or two). We don’t need a lot, 3, maybe 4 at a push, to come in so we can continue to compete. 

We do need a bit of a clear out though, we really need to be smarter with the players we loan out, so we can properly benefit. I want us to loan someone to Wrexham so they can appear on the show next season - if we don’t do that, I will riot. 

I agree that we’ll make 4/5 signings 2 of which will be Fred’s but think all signings will be made within the first couple of weeks that the market is open. We’ve known for a while now that champions league is a probability not possibility and our players identified. They’ll be no stuffing around as it’ll be a long year with champs, league and fa cup etc that Unai will want them to integrate straight into the squad. 
well here’s hoping 

30 minutes ago, CroVillan said:

I agree that we’ll make 4/5 signings 2 of which will be Fred’s but think all signings will be made within the first couple of weeks that the market is open. We’ve known for a while now that champions league is a probability not possibility and our players identified. They’ll be no stuffing around as it’ll be a long year with champs, league and fa cup etc that Unai will want them to integrate straight into the squad. 
well here’s hoping 

2 Freds? I hope one isnt that bellend who played for Manyoo?

So two players were supposedly after Nico Williams and Aleix Garcia are joint top La Liga in goal creating actions. 
not bad for a deep laying mid as Garcia is, for that price reported I’d be all over this. 

Â