Weekends Football 26/28 January

andykeenan

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

FTFY

And that's the reason why it won't 

Football is merely the petri dish

Nah, disagree.  It's not a societal thing at all.  You can do it at basically any other sporting event - no-one gives a shit.  All of a sudden, when it's football...

Edit:  And, also, the ridiculousness is prevalent on this forum.  Hatred of football teams, childish nicknames for players.  It's a sport driven, sadly, by hate rather than enjoyment.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Nah, disagree.  It's not a societal thing at all.  You can do it at basically any other sporting event - no-one gives a shit.  All of a sudden, when it's football...

Edit:  And, also, the ridiculousness is prevalent on this forum.  Hatred of football teams, childish nicknames for players.  It's a sport driven, sadly, by hate rather than enjoyment.

Yeah I'm sure they're all well rounded individuals that didn't spend Friday and Saturday night coked up being assholes in various pubs across the black Country it just happened to be this game that flipped a switch 

Not denying football is a magnet for idiots whereas say rugby isn't but its not footballs job to stop people being idiots, they're idiots 7 days of the week not just Saturday afternoons 

• Like 2

Just now, villa4europe said:

Yeah I'm sure they're all well rounded individuals that didn't spend Friday and Saturday night coked up being assholes in various pubs across the black Country it just happened to be this game that flipped a switch 

Not denying football is a magnet for idiots whereas say rugby isn't but its not footballs job to stop people being idiots, they're idiots 7 days of the week not just Saturday afternoons 

Possibly those fighting, maybe.  I'm not sure though.

The match threads on here are pretty shit, and that's people who I would largely consider incredibly sensible in the football World losing their absolute minds over the referee.

I think there's something about football that flicks a switch in people and it's not seen elsewhere, really.

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think there's something about football that flicks a switch in people and it's not seen elsewhere, really.

There's a tribalism involved in supporting a football team that's not really found in other sports. It's one of main reasons that it's football that produces by far the best sporting atmospheres. Violence of course crosses the line between tribalism and idiocy. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Genie said:

I’d love it if there was no police at these things. Tell all normal people to stay away. Then all the hard knocks they can kick lumps out of each other till their hearts content. 

I wonder how many would turn up?

look at attendances during the 80s and you have your answer

Just now, Genie said:

They had police in the 80’s didn’t they?

no cctv, no banning orders, no riot protection (anecdotally, i was a toddler) so it was basically a free for all

12 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Nah you’ve got it mixed up mate. Those fans on the pitch are baggies fans and they are the ones lobbing things at a couple of wolves fans that had been outed when wolves scored the second. The stewards had nowhere to take the wolves fans because all exits were blocked with Albion fans kicking off. Then down the other end near the wolves fans it was the Albion fans trying to get on the pitch again which resulted in one Albion fan getting his head smashed in by the police. Apart from the odd wolves fan dotted about the violence was from Albion . 

saw one clip of a wolves fan walking out, hands up, "fair doos, i'm a wolves fan, i'm leaving" and a couple of 50 year old 'men' decided to lump him one on his way out. he wasn't there for a row, just wanted to watch a game of football.

foolish to a) sit in the home end and b) even more foolish to out himself as a wolves fan? yeah maybe, but these baggies fans need to take a long look at themselves. imagine facing criminal charges and football banning order just because someone dared to sit near you that supports a different football team to you

Worst football violence in years, families being dragged out the stands for safety,  kids scared.

Wolves fans come on radio and state a west brom player gave a ticket to his Wolves fan mate in the home end revealing his Wolves shirt  when they scored 2nd goal.

Media, "errr, errr, anyway let's talk about the football".

Player protection yet again, blame the fans 100%.

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Worst football violence in years, families being dragged out the stands for safety,  kids scared.

Wolves fans come on radio and state a west brom player gave a ticket to his Wolves fan mate in the home end revealing his Wolves shirt  when they scored 2nd goal.

Media, "errr, errr, anyway let's talk about the football".

Player protection yet again, blame the fans 100%.

This is why I said they should play these games without the police, he knew the chance of getting his head kicked in was very small, so he gets to brag to everyone in the pub about what he did.

It's weird because you look at other sports (Rubgy, Cricket, NFL etc) which don't have segregation and largely it all goes off without any trouble at all, except for odd idiot.

Personally I think segregation has to some degree created more of a problem than would otherwise have been. You've got 2 sets of fans in their designated areas shouting abuse at each other in something like a mob mentality. If you gradually introduced "mixed" or "neutral" areas to stadiums you might find that to some degree alleviates some of the problems without totally killing the atmosphere of the game. I think to some degree the league and media encourage the tribalism thing because we all love the atmosphere of a big derby.

At the end of the day we're all just fans and human beings and if you were sat next to an opposition fan and could have a laugh and a beer together, discuss and watch the game in a friendly way as happens in other sports over the world, surely that's better.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

At the end of the day we're all just fans and human beings and if you were sat next to an opposition fan and could have a laugh and a beer together, discuss and watch the game in a friendly way as happens in other sports over the world, surely that's better.

Yep that's definitely happening with a small queef knuckledragger sat next to ya.

Not.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, tomav84 said:

saw one clip of a wolves fan walking out, hands up, "fair doos, i'm a wolves fan, i'm leaving" and a couple of 50 year old 'men' decided to lump him one on his way out. he wasn't there for a row, just wanted to watch a game of football.

foolish to a) sit in the home end and b) even more foolish to out himself as a wolves fan? yeah maybe, but these baggies fans need to take a long look at themselves. imagine facing criminal charges and football banning order just because someone dared to sit near you that supports a different football team to you

There’s a video doing the rounds of him and his mates giving it the big un on the sly in the baggies end so he got what was coming to him imo 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There’s a video doing the rounds of him and his mates giving it the big un on the sly in the baggies end so he got what was coming to him imo 

not seen that but yep, i said he was foolish.

i maintain you're even more of a fool to get yourself a football ground ban and a criminal record just because some kid you don't even know who supports another football team has sat in the home section

8 hours ago, tomav84 said:

He was giving the "f**k off West Brom" chant in their home end. He got off lightly...

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/A6ui8TMWJrEZ7yJ6/

4 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Yep. Dont stand so close to me. Every breath you take. A few other good songs too.

Canary in a coalmine was a particular fave of mine from the Zenyatta Mondatta album.

Â