Weekends Football 18/20 January

andykeenan

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Look at the goal scorers they have. Salah, Gakpo, Nunez, Diaz, Jota, TAA can score a goal or 2 aswell. No wonder they can be clinical.

Yes the kind of players who can pull something out of the bag regardless of whats going on around them. As good as Ollies all round game is, when we struggle to create he doesn't score that much.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep net spend world champions Liverpool with salah £40m, Diaz £42m, jota £40m, gakpo £37m and nunez £80m + wages

I dont know how they do so much with so little... 

No one is saying they ain't got the players. Maybe saying Man City will easily win the league now KDB is a problem though.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yep net spend world champions Liverpool with salah £40m, Diaz £42m, jota £40m, gakpo £37m and nunez £80m + wages

I dont know how they do so much with so little... 

It's such a weird stick that you keep banging here.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Bayern lost at home to werder bremen

Really could be Leverkusen's year. They dug out another brilliant win in Leipzig yesterday so even though they have a history of choking I don't see them messing up like Dortmund did. Scoring loads of last minute winners which is another very good sign.

Think Bayern will go all out for the CL.

Edited by VillaChris

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's such a weird stick that you keep banging here.

Because I still don't think people realise what Liverpool are, a mixture of man city being what they are and the media trying to convince us that they're plucky 

Liverpool have spent less than city, they've somehow managed to keep their net spend relatively low due to some absurd sales but that squad still cost a ton of money 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Because I still don't think people realise what Liverpool are, a mixture of man city being what they are and the media trying to convince us that they're plucky 

Liverpool have spent less than city, they've somehow managed to keep their net spend relatively low due to some absurd sales but that squad still cost a ton of money 

The media doesn't try and convince us they're plucky.  They're always noted as title contenders and are just run as a club should be, to some extent.  They don't just spend a load of money because they can - they're largely offset against (sometimes large) player sales.

It's like a slightly bigger version of us.  I just don't understand the constant bringing up of net spend as if it's some bad thing.  It's good that a club of Liverpool's size is doing that!

9 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Well, not really. Since he did cheat. 

Whether its enough to disallow it or not is another matter but his actions were clearly not genuine and this is from a man just back from an 8 match ban for gambling. 

The man IS a cheat.

Laughable? Sorry I don't agree.

Has any of your players ever taken a free kick or throw from the wrong place you know nicked a few yards all ours do.Cheating yes they all do it diving rolling around holding their head when they haven’t been touched I’ve watched yours do it earlier in the season McGinn the main culprit along with some of ours.The sooner will sell Toney  the better for me but I would love to see the reaction if Villa bought him😉

1 minute ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Has any of your players ever taken a free kick or throw from the wrong place you know nicked a few yards all ours do.Cheating yes they all do it diving rolling around holding their head when they haven’t been touched I’ve watched yours do it earlier in the season McGinn the main culprit along with some of ours.The sooner will sell Toney  the better for me but I would love to see the reaction if Villa bought him😉

It's the biggest overreaction from nothing that I've seen in quite some time.  Calling it cheating is utterly bizarre.

Players take free kicks from wrong positions or move the ball to gain a slightly better angle all the time.  The disingenuous bit is Toney moving some of the referee's foam to make it look like he hadn't moved the ball - certainly the actions of a colossal prick, but not cheating :D.

Weird to call out McGinn on diving and rolling around by the way.  He's not the type at all.  You could've picked almost any of our others players and been closer to it.

Worst thing about that is Forest conceded a free kick from Toney in exactly the same spot last season! So even with a new keeper and backline they still haven't learnt the art of constructing a wall properly.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

The disingenuous bit is Toney moving some of the referee's foam to make it look like he hadn't moved the ball - certainly the actions of a colossal prick, but not cheating :D.

What's his intent of moving the foam if it isn't deliberately deceiving the ref? Is deliberately deceiving the ref not cheating? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

It's the biggest overreaction from nothing that I've seen in quite some time.  Calling it cheating is utterly bizarre.

Players take free kicks from wrong positions or move the ball to gain a slightly better angle all the time.  The disingenuous bit is Toney moving some of the referee's foam to make it look like he hadn't moved the ball - certainly the actions of a colossal prick, but not cheating :D.

Weird to call out McGinn on diving and rolling around by the way.  He's not the type at all.  You could've picked almost any of our others players and been closer to it.

I agree I really rate McGinn but he dived a couple of times right in front of where I sit and was warned by the ref.This was just one of numerous we see in all games not just digging him out but he was getting very frustrated in the game as he was trying to win the battle in midfield and Villa were losing at the time.

39 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

This is getting embarrassing now 

Not sure what the embarrassing part is.

At the time, it looked like Bowen ran into the defender and pulled him out of position slightly which then leads to the defender falling into him.

All the replays conveniently cut out the initial contact, but you can sort of see it on the video given here.

Edited by bobzy

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

What's his intent of moving the foam if it isn't deliberately deceiving the ref? Is deliberately deceiving the ref not cheating? 

If we’re calling that cheating then every single slight advantage taken on a football pitch (taking a throw in from a different position to where the ball goes out, going down when there’s contact if you’re able to stay up, moving the ball forward when taking a free kick in your own half, the defensive wall stealing a yard or so by shuffling forward) is cheating. If that’s your view, then cool. Players cheat multiple times in every game. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Really could be Leverkusen's year. They dug out another brilliant win in Leipzig yesterday so even though they have a history of choking I don't see them messing up like Dortmund did. Scoring loads of last minute winners which is another very good sign.

Think Bayern will go all out for the CL.

I don't really follow German football, so asking those who do- is their success down to a system, or is Alonso the real deal?

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I don't really follow German football, so asking those who do- is their success down to a system, or is Alonso the real deal?

They have always had good scouting and bought really well in summer  but Alonso has brought in a system that makes them dangerous in attack and solid in defence plus have some good young players

He took over similar time to Unai and in a similar position as they were in a relegation battle until about March last season

• Like 1

Â