Hákon Rafn Valdimarsson

Pongo Waring

On 21/01/2024 at 10:59, sne said:

Was just reading on an Elfsborg forum and they say that apparently we can't afford the £2m or so he would cost so I guess this one won't happen :D 

Not sure "önsketänk" is the correct word here. More like "verklighetsfrånskild".

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Translation please.

Detached from reality. (I wish we had a similar word in Norwegian...)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Went for the bigger club option

All jokes aside, I assume there's a clearer path for him to get to the first team there? He's got Sinisalo and Marschall ahead of him here straight away (I'm excluding Olsen as his contract expires this summer I believe). 

• Like 4

Marschall and Sinisalo aren't ahead of this player, that doesn't make sense, if they were we wouldn't be interested in him, because we don't need another player of that level, in addition to Marscahll and Sinisalo we also have James Wright, who is probably just as highly rated as Marscahll, and also Zych who is Poland U20 international and sometimes captain, and Sam Proctor who is one of the most highly rated academy goalkeepers in the country, hence why he's already trusted as our U21 goalkeeper despite only having just turned seventeen.

This goalkeeper would have been signed to come straight into the first team squad

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Strog said:

Or maybe the prospect of sitting behind Emi for a few years was not particularly appealing. 

He won’t be the number 1 for Brentford you know. And they have a younger first choice goalkeeper than us. 

So by my reckoning we were never seriously in for him.

Pretty sure Brentford are going to sell Raya and don't exactly trust Flekken to be their starting goalkeeper. Valdimarsson probably sees a chance to become their number one here.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we weren't that interested or not interested at all, it's not as if the media doesn't often get transfer links wrong.

But also could just be that he sees a clearer pathway to becomeing Brentford's No.1 than he does with us, also maybe Brentford's links to Scandinavia could have helped.

It seemed a strange link to me anyway, as he's in that area where he's further along with his development than our academy or U21 goalkeepers, so wouldn't have been a replacement for them, but also without knowing anything about Swedish football, not sure if he's done enough to come in as our No.2

I still wouldn't be surprised to see us go for Josh Griffiths, but would cost a lot more than this player, probably a similar fee to Rogers, who he kind of has a similar profile to, in the sense of coming through Albion academy, and doing well enough at Championship level to become a well regarded young player,

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

He won’t be the number 1 for Brentford you know. And they have a younger first choice goalkeeper than us. 

So by my reckoning we were never seriously in for him.

Flekken is awful and one of reasons they have declined

• Like 1

Â