Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Depending on who you ask, Middlesbrough fans only feel he's come good in the last 2 months.

Are we that short-term that we decide to pay £13.5m more than we could have 6 months ago based on a handful of good performances? 

You can't have it every which way, and either way you want to look at it, it's a pretty bad way to do business.

You're the only one looking at it the way you're looking at it mate, I can assure you. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Are we that short-term that we decide to pay £13.5m more than we could have 6 months ago based on a handful of good performances

No I don’t think we are.

The extra add ons will only be paid after his performances have more than paid us back.

Some of the £7.5m is payback to Citeh for his original cheap fee in the summer when he moved to Boro.

Finally Boro have to make some profit over and above the £1.5m they paid for him.

if you look at it like that it’s a great deal….one we have to make.

Small risk big upside 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

You have to buy some lumber and hire a carpenter to build the table to put the bid on. That's the delay and why you often see the headline <club x> is preparing to table a bid for <player y>. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Depending on who you ask, Middlesbrough fans only feel he's come good in the last 2 months.

Are we that short-term that we decide to pay £13.5m more than we could have 6 months ago based on a handful of good performances? 

You can't have it every which way, and either way you want to look at it, it's a pretty bad way to do business.

The £15m will only be hit if he does pretty well for us.  Man City bought him for £4.4m for him when he'd played no professional matches.  We've offered around £7.5m for him after he's played 28 League 1 and 61 Championship matches.  That doesn't seem like such a bad bit of business in comparison to the City deal.

We've then offered to pay more if he goes on and performs well at PL level.  If he doesn't then we'll have a player that would almost certainly either go on loan to a top Championship side or sold at a small profit to a Championship / lower PL team.

In many ways I think there is an argument to say that the only thing that looks like a bad bit of business was Man City selling him to Boro for £1.5m plus a good chunk of any sell-on profit.  It is also highly unlikely that they'd have sold him to us at a similar price (or that we'd have accepted the same sell-on clause that Boro did), so maybe the deal we could have done in the summer would have been closer to £3-4m anyway plus add-ons.

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Couldn’t care less if boro make a tidy little profit and city make a cut in the process. If he’s the player we want, that Emery wants, then £15m (of which I assume £5m is bonus related) isn’t extortion.

We may even have gone after him in the Summer and City didn’t want to sell to us. Smart move if so from them. Now he’s ‘available’, we’re trying to make it happen before we feel he could be worth double that in 2 years time. 

I have no real opinion on Rogers tbh. I’ll be excited if we sign him but not disheartened if we don’t. He’ll get my full support unless he starts appearing all pally with Buendia in training photos. Then I’ll want him gone. 

I do think that 2 years ago I would have been looking at this a bit differently.  Actually probably in a very similar way to @est1874 is now (OK maybe identically to the way he is looking at it).  However, everything I have seen from Emery and everything I have read about Monchi and the revolution that Lange started (and Monchi is enhancing further) has put me in a position where I am much more chill about signings, not making signings, etc.  If we sign Rogers it will because very good people think that he's got something we need.  If we don't then I'll assume that they decided that they could find a similar player for better value elsewhere in the next window.  Either is fine.  If Rogers goes on and has an outstanding end to the season and we go back in for him in June and have to pay more then that would also be fine because I would believe that our recruitment team and owners are convinced that that represents good value in the market at that time for a player with another 20 odd Championship matches under his belt.

• Like 1

This is the truth.

With the exception of a couple of duds (and even they had their moments) we’ve been signing good players for years.

unlike previous regimes

I feel completely relaxed about our signings.

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

All these people saying it's not weird that we didn't go for him in the summer because he's stepped up a level since...

1) it's been 6 months, or 5 months of actual football. Has he stepped up a level? Or just been playing football regularly? Those are separate things 

2) and more importantly, are you trying to say our interest stems from him "stepping up a level"? Our head of youth worked with him previously at West Brom. We've got highly paid scouts tracking these players over much longer periods than 6 months. There's no way he wasn't already on some list somewhere 

He was steal at £1.5m and now we're being shafted because of a sell on fee. It stands to reason we should have taken a punt at that sort of money, it's less than we sold Finn Azaz for FFS.

The situation between now and then has changed and i don't quite get how you don't understand that.

We may not have thought we needed a player at all in the summer but have come to realise now that we do. 

Weird point to get all worked up over IMO.

3 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

This is the truth.

With the exception of a couple of duds (and even they had their moments) we’ve been signing good players for years.

unlike previous regimes

I feel completely relaxed about our signings.

Even a lot of our recent so called duds actually served their purpose very well at a very specific point on our journey to where we are today.  No transfer will be a nailed on certainty.  And we are in a position where we can / have to take a few risks along the way.  Some will come off.  Some won't.  But it has been a long time since I felt confident that we had the right people looking at the right type of players. 

It's also getting more difficult now for players to break into our starting XI and immediately hold down a starting spot.  So in some respects it will be much harder to sign a SJM / Luiz / Konsa because the quality of players that they will be trying to displace is so much higher.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, est1874 said:

All these people saying it's not weird that we didn't go for him in the summer because he's stepped up a level since...

1) it's been 6 months, or 5 months of actual football. Has he stepped up a level? Or just been playing football regularly? Those are separate things 

2) and more importantly, are you trying to say our interest stems from him "stepping up a level"? Our head of youth worked with him previously at West Brom. We've got highly paid scouts tracking these players over much longer periods than 6 months. There's no way he wasn't already on some list somewhere 

He was steal at £1.5m and now we're being shafted because of a sell on fee. It stands to reason we should have taken a punt at that sort of money, it's less than we sold Finn Azaz for FFS.

What makes you think City would have accepted £1.5m from us in the summer?  City took a hit selling him for £1.5m.  A PL team chasing Europe would likely have had to pay more for him than a Championship team with a big sell on clause paid.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, duke313 said:

What makes you think City would have accepted £1.5m from us in the summer?  City took a hit selling him for £1.5m.  A PL team chasing Europe would likely have had to pay more for him than a Championship team with a big sell on clause paid.  

Probably a buy back option also, if our previous dealings with them were anything to go by.

14 hours ago, est1874 said:

Are we that naive to think City would have sold him to us for 1.5m? It would have been a 15m-20m fee just like the youngsters they sold to Southampton last season.

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

Has Unai said we are actually interested?  Feels like a lot of this is coming from the Boro camp 

He isn't going to say who we are interested in. 

55 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Has Unai said we are actually interested?  Feels like a lot of this is coming from the Boro camp 

Every single Tier 1 journalist has documented it, even down to when each bid has gone in. We are definitely interested. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Emery isn't going to talk about us bidding on other players, he won't be involved in any negotiations, that's why we have Monchi.

15 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

All I know it has to be sent via fax before the transfer window slams shut.

and some talk about dinosaur football?.....that went out with the ark.

Â