Weekends Football 15/17 December

andykeenan

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its not his fault, he probably needed 5/6 more years of development in the lower leagues. All on Kompany who thinks he is some managerial guru that could turn this kid into Neuer

I think you're being harsh on him 

Their transfer policy to me seems to be they could only buy players who wouldnt leave should they get relegated 

As a result they've bought players who are championship level but should get better 

If they keep the band together then in 3/4 years time they should be a decent mid table PL side 

That's opposed to buying 30 years olds on their way down who after 2 years aren't good enough and they can't shift, they've bought players who aren't good enough now but one day probably will be, it's the right way to do it imo but theyve got the balance horribly wrong you still need an experienced backbone and a goalscorer, they haven't 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I know it never works out that way - but on the way things have gone so far, someone could survive relegation on 25 points.

The bottom three are extraordinary poor this season.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about it the same and settled on 25 being the marker this season, scarily enough it could be even less, if the three bottom sides replicate their current PPG for the rest of the season they won’t even reach 20. It’s really looking like a free pass for anyone else down there who might have a poor season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah I’ve been thinking about it the same and settled on 25 being the marker this season, scarily enough it could be even less, if the three bottom sides replicate their current PPG for the rest of the season they won’t even reach 20. It’s really looking like a free pass for anyone else down there who might have a poor season.

The way it's heading, Everton might have been safe with a 30 point penalty!

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think you're being harsh on him 

Their transfer policy to me seems to be they could only buy players who wouldnt leave should they get relegated 

As a result they've bought players who are championship level but should get better 

If they keep the band together then in 3/4 years time they should be a decent mid table PL side 

That's opposed to buying 30 years olds on their way down who after 2 years aren't good enough and they can't shift, they've bought players who aren't good enough now but one day probably will be, it's the right way to do it imo but theyve got the balance horribly wrong you still need an experienced backbone and a goalscorer, they haven't 

They had an international keeper who did well for them last season and got higher up the City food chain but was dropped for this expensive shiny new toy who hasnt played past League 1. He was close to being Burnley record transfer as well

We signed Gollini at a similar age and he wass way superior than Trafford with his mistakes

57 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I know it never works out that way - but on the way things have gone so far, someone could survive relegation on 25 points.

The bottom three are extraordinary poor this season.

I think Luton are getting there, they won v Palace at home and then were leading v Arsenal and Man. City before losing narrowly so wouldn't shock me if they got 4/5 more wins at home, can see us struggling to win there. Lockyer surviving and probably having to retire will give them some extra motivation aswell. They're getting stronger at this level while Burnley look like they've just thrown in the towel as they were hopeless against Everton.

The big problem for the bottom three now is the extraordinary runs Fulham, Bournemouth and Everton have all gone on simultaneously in the last six weeks. Just leaves Palace who aren't great but can pick up draws and wins and Forest who'll probably get a new manager bounce at some stage in next two months.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They had an international keeper who did well for them last season and got higher up the City food chain but was dropped for this expensive shiny new toy who hasnt played past League 1. He was close to being Burnley record transfer as well

We signed Gollini at a similar age and he wass way superior than Trafford with his mistakes

Burnley had Peacock-Farrell aswell who's been number one for Northern Ireland for years but Kompany didn't rate him.

They should've try to get someone like Heaton back for a year just to organise them better from set pieces and general play as some of the goals they've conceded this year have been comicial.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I can see Luton getting up to 29-30 points. They were leading a very inform Bournemouth for a large chunk of yesterday so perhaps when that game is re-arranged Bournemouth won't be quite as good. Also got them to play them and likes of Forest, Fulham, Sheffield United and Everton at Kenilworth Road. We won't find it easy there either. Luton also have Sheffield United and Burnley away in next month.

I actually think Luton have a decent shot of getting at least a point off Newcastle....if the Lockyer stuff hasn't impacted too much but that can work the other way and they win it as a dedication to him.

Trouble is all those teams they were looking to finish above a few weeks back like Everton and Bournemouth look like they'll comfortably get to 38-40 points now so can't see Luton getting close to that.

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

FWIW, Trafford looked a really good goalkeeper in whichever U21 International tournament I watched/he played in. He actually stood out rather than “just being good”.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

FWIW, Trafford looked a really good goalkeeper in whichever U21 International tournament I watched/he played in. He actually stood out rather than “just being good”.

He was quite good in that tournament but its risky buying a player off a tournament. He just looks a boy when he plays with experienced opponents

He might come good but keepers develop a lot later than others unless they are elite

1 hour ago, sne said:

Isn't their other keeper Arijanet Murić supposed to be somewhat OK? He is starting for Kosovo so at least he has some international experience.

Yes, he was fine last season, and a) has Championship experience (higher than Trafford had) and b ) has international experience, as you say. I can't have any sympathy for them for this situation; it was always risky to go with a less experienced option, and now it's blown up in their faces (and also Kompany is too stubborn to change anything). 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was quite good in that tournament but its risky buying a player off a tournament. He just looks a boy when he plays with experienced opponents

He might come good but keepers develop a lot later than others unless they are elite

Not exactly just off the back of a tournament, though. He was Player Of The Season (I think?) at Bolton last season, broke a club record for run of clean sheets and then had a very good U21 tournament.

Always a risk to buy a youngster off the back of that, but everything is set up for £19m to be a bargain - even if he struggles first season.

I mean, we bought Martinez from Arsenal for £20m off the back of maybe 8 good games? Worked out pretty well for us.

Edited by bobzy

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

Yeah it is a very small hope. Think LIverpool will cruise it.

Liverpool should batter them, but it rarely happens when 2 sides look so mis-matched. I’d love this to be the exception. 

It’s too early for wishing potential rivals drop points.

I’d love to see United get humiliated but then also be great if Liverpool drop points. Win/win really.

Â