Premier League shareholders meeting 2023/11/21

ender4

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

If Neves was the plan from day one why did they not sign him and go for Tonali. Wolves had no problem selling to Premier League clubs last summer

Because they couldnt afford both 

They signed tonali for big money and barnes.

The plan was always to loan him in on the cheap and then get him permanently next summer. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Gotta be honest, I dunno what the big fuss is all about. 

Yes this highly benefits Newcastle and they'll probably loan in a couple players and dodge around FFP and whatnot but the league has been **** for years and years this is nothing new. Oh no they might loan in Ruben Neves to cover the Tonali ban, can't say I'm particularly worried. The Premier League is in the gutter full stop. 

We're not squeaky clean obviously, we have our V Sports model but, correct me if I'm wrong, that seems more driven to snapping up young talent? 

Maybe I'm just naive to the whole thing and the state of it all has just numbed me to these things. 

Its just OTT dramatics. Ruben Neves is not going to push Newcastle to the title unless he has become Roy Keane version 2.0 after 6 months in Saudi

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Because they couldnt afford both 

They signed tonali for big money and barnes.

The plan was always to loan him in on the cheap and then get him permanently next summer. 

yet they could afford 76 million on Livramento and Barnes. They could have also done a similar deal with Hall

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If Neves was the plan from day one why did they not sign him and go for Tonali. Wolves had no problem selling to Premier League clubs last summer

Both was the plan from day 1 - but because of FFP, they needed someone else to pick up one of the fees.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Both was the plan from day 1 - but because of FFP, they needed someone else to pick up one of the fees.

Also a chance that Mendes gets more money this way?

Edited by sne

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Exactly the reason why they couldnt afford neves!!

Neves moved before all of them players and in Barnes/Livramento case was a month between transfers

His 1 assist and no goals in 15 games in the Saudi league will be terrifying Premier League midfields. Henderson has 3 more assists than him

• Like 1

its an interesting one.

I love Villa, i always want them to do well, but with how the PL and football in general is going (has gone), i wonder how long it is before its just a version of Football WWE.

I wonder if fans will ever get to the point of having enough, or if the fans will just keep growing from people who just love the spectacle, regardless of whether its actually real or not.

28 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Gotta be honest, I dunno what the big fuss is all about. 

Yes this highly benefits Newcastle and they'll probably loan in a couple players and dodge around FFP

The difference here is that PIF owns the four richest teams in a league with no FFP constraints, a league which they also control. If Man Utd, for instance, also owned four teams in Serie A then everyone would be going crazy. Even owning two clubs in the same league shouldn't be allowed. The potential for collusion, cheating (both sporting and financial) is huge. 

All other PL clubs with networks are generally buying prospects to loan to lesser markets where there are financial constraints. None of them are having one of the clubs in their group buy a player for 50 million and then loaning them back to the PL club 6 months later. I don't get how people don't see how this could be used to distort the market. The only saving grace is that Newcastle can only loan 1 more player currently. 

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Neves moved before all of them players and in Barnes/Livramento case was a month between transfers

His 1 assist and no goals in 15 games in the Saudi league will be terrifying Premier League midfields. Henderson has 3 more assists than him

I don't think this starts and ends with the loan of 1 player. The PL have basically approved a way for Newcastle to obtain players that they would otherwise not be able to afford due to FFP. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

its an interesting one.

I love Villa, i always want them to do well, but with how the PL and football in general is going (has gone), i wonder how long it is before its just a version of Football WWE.

I wonder if fans will ever get to the point of having enough, or if the fans will just keep growing from people who just love the spectacle, regardless of whether its actually real or not.

Think it'll go the way of boxing. Celebrity matches with FIFA all stars with games having commercial breaks and sponsored VAR checks. Give it 20 years and we'll still have national leagues but the best paid players will be playing in a travelling circus league earning even sillier money.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I don't think this starts and ends with the loan of 1 player. The PL have basically approved a way for Newcastle to obtain players that they would otherwise not be able to afford due to FFP. 

but you can only have 2 loans registered at a time. If Newcastle are going to be signing Mbappe and Bellingham for 20 million to get around this then the Premier League or some tribunal will investigate that as teams like Liverpool or Spurs will be vocal about it

I think people are overthinking this change. Its a stupid decision but Newcastle wont be bringing in elite players in January for nothing

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its just OTT dramatics. Ruben Neves is not going to push Newcastle to the title unless he has become Roy Keane version 2.0 after 6 months in Saudi

Right! Anyone would think he's the best player ever given the apparent desire to make a rule just to stop his transfer. Newsflash - we have three better CMs than Neves in our squad right now (and that's not including either Ramsey or McGinn for positional reasons). 

Regarding Neves, I think it’s the principle of the possible transfer more than the possible transfer which people are criticising. 

Although for what it’s worth, while he won’t win then the title, I think a loan move for Neves is sufficient enough to be the difference between a conference league finish and a europa league finish (or whatever). So the team that misses out on Europa, let’s say Brighton, might be annoyed if it proves to be that Neves provides enough to be the difference.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

The difference here is that PIF owns the four richest teams in a league with no FFP constraints, a league which they also control. If Man Utd, for instance, also owned four teams in Serie A then everyone would be going crazy. Even owning two clubs in the same league shouldn't be allowed. The potential for collusion, cheating (both sporting and financial) is huge. 

And this might not even happen, but it's too dangerous to the league to let it exist as a possibility.

Similarly, our referees might not have their all-expense, highly-paid jolly to SA in their mind when they're making 50/50 calls about Newcastle, but...

• Like 1

Genuine question. How is Newcastle potentially buying Saudi League players any different that RB Leipzig buying Salzburg players, or Watford buying Udinese players? Is it just because they’re competing near the top of the PL? If they were in the Championship, would anyone care?

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Genuine question. How is Newcastle potentially buying Saudi League players any different that RB Leipzig buying Salzburg players, or Watford buying Udinese players? Is it just because they’re competing near the top of the PL? If they were in the Championship, would anyone care?

Saudi essentially runs it's own league and officially owns 4 clubs in that league explicitly, with essentially limitless pockets and no need to consider money. Couple that to no FFP rules and basically Saudi can buy whoever they want, with the ultimate view of letting the club formerly known as Newcastle have whoever they want at whatever prices they want, because they're selling these players to themselves. This rule also now means essentially the club formerly known as Newcastle runs 5 B teams that they can dip into if they want a short term sticking plaster.

Its that little bit worse than the other teams you mention because there's no money controls or FFP to worry about. Leipzig and Salzburg is nearly as bad, particularly as UEFA likes turning a blind eye to the fact that that relationship is obviously bent.

Again, letting countries own clubs is a really, really, really bad idea. Multi club ownership is also bad.

• Like 2

Â