Premier League shareholders meeting 2023/11/21

ender4

1 hour ago, KAZZAM said:

Burnley and Sheff united hopefully won't be here next season. So can we get a revote start of season? 

It was only meant to be a temporary measure anyway.

I don’t think it has that big an impact tbh. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

It was only meant to be a temporary measure anyway.

I don’t think it has that big an impact tbh. 

Well it was meant to be a temporary measure until the summer when they would agree better long-term measures around sister-clubs. 

I don't agree with it and it should be banned but at the same time am I the only naive enough to think that the Saudis won't actually be bombarding Newcastle with loan players anyway? 

Neves OK fair enough but that's because of tonali and actually makes a fair bit of sense 

I dont sit here thinking that if neymar wasn't injured he'd be on his way, I definitely don't think they're buying players only or specifically to loan them to Newcastle, they still have to develop football in their own country ready for their world cup, they've got 2 sports washing things going on and they won't be overly detrimental to one for the benefit of the other, sending say neymar or another of their crown jewels out on loan puts their league in the bin, completely undermines it

I'm also not really seeing that many players that would actually benefit Newcastle... Neves, benzema (would he really?) maybe milenkovic savic or brozovic but after that most of the them left the PL for a reason 

A lot of it seems scare mongering, "they could buy mbappe for £200m and £1m a week and loan him to Newcastle for £0!!!" yes they could... They won't though will they... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I don't agree with it and it should be banned but at the same time am I the only naive enough to think that the Saudis won't actually be bombarding Newcastle with loan players anyway? 

Neves OK fair enough but that's because of tonali and actually makes a fair bit of sense 

I dont sit here thinking that if neymar wasn't injured he'd be on his way, I definitely don't think they're buying players only or specifically to loan them to Newcastle, they still have to develop football in their own country ready for their world cup, they've got 2 sports washing things going on and they won't be overly detrimental to one for the benefit of the other, sending say neymar or another of their crown jewels out on loan puts their league in the bin, completely undermines it

I'm also not really seeing that many players that would actually benefit Newcastle... Neves, benzema (would he really?) maybe milenkovic savic or brozovic but after that most of the them left the PL for a reason 

A lot of it seems scare mongering, "they could buy mbappe for £200m and £1m a week and loan him to Newcastle for £0!!!" yes they could... They won't though will they... 

Given that NUFC can only loan 2 player at a time, there's limited scope for abuse as things stand. As you say, Newcastle aren't the sole focus of PIF's football investment efforts. But something like this 'loophole' seems like an added bonus that they'd want to protect. There could also be favourable loan agreements between PIF's Saudi clubs and those who voted against the rule change (there are players that might benefit Burnley, Everton, Sheff Utd etc. playing in that league, even if they wouldn't be suitable for Newcastle). I dunno, maybe this all goes too far into the realms of conspiracy theories, but I wouldn't discount anything at this point given how much corruption exists within football.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

1 hour ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Given that NUFC can only loan 2 player at a time, there's limited scope for abuse as things stand. As you say, Newcastle aren't the sole focus of PIF's football investment efforts. But something like this 'loophole' seems like an added bonus that they'd want to protect. There could also be favourable loan agreements between PIF's Saudi clubs and those who voted against the rule change (there are players that might benefit Burnley, Everton, Sheff Utd etc. playing in that league, even if they wouldn't be suitable for Newcastle). I dunno, maybe this all goes too far into the realms of conspiracy theories, but I wouldn't discount anything at this point given how much corruption exists within football.

I can imagine Benzema and Neymar excitement that they will be farmed out to Burnley and Sheffield United

• Haha 1

Maybe if they come up with a rule where you are only allowed to loan or buy one player from a club your associated with per season? So foe example if we loaned a player from vitoria thats only player we can get from any clubs under our umbrealla until following season.

Not perfect but better than the current rules i think

That might help things abit 

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Maybe if they come up with a rule where you are only allowed to loan or buy one player from a club your associated with per season? So foe example if we loaned a player from vitoria thats only player we can get from any clubs under our umbrealla until following season.

That rule is already in place. Can only loan one player per club

I think he meant "a club your [sic] associated with per season" as the entire group of clubs.

I.e Villa could only loan one player in total from Vitoria, Vissel, Zed etc, as opposed to using both our loans on two players from Vitoria or one from Vitoria and one from Vissel

Not the worst idea, although personally I'd limit loans to one per season regardless of who they're coming from, unless there's a specified injury crisis that would require an emergency loan in a transfer window

Edited by StewieGriffin

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Whatever the rules, no network of clubs should be allowed to own more than 1 team in the same league. 

The voting structure of the Premier League – with any motion requiring the consent of 14 from 20 clubs to pass – has in the past enabled the competition to stop the big six getting their way, but required the other 14 to act collectively. The votes this week suggest that this structure can no longer be relied upon. 

Interesting point from an article about the meeting, and it's wider ramifications, on the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/23/premier-league-appears-fractured-as-external-pressures-continue-to-mount

Yes I'd probably draw a bit of a distinction between what we think of with 'Saudi' and Sheffield United. They're owned by Saudi royalty, but he's not one of the main guys in the Saudi set up and is actually pretty poor by Saudi royal stakes - poor enough that he'd probably prefer to just sell Sheffield United, especially given that they are in a bit of a financial hole.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Yes I'd probably draw a bit of a distinction between what we think of with 'Saudi' and Sheffield United. They're owned by Saudi royalty, but he's not one of the main guys in the Saudi set up and is actually pretty poor by Saudi royal stakes - poor enough that he'd probably prefer to just sell Sheffield United, especially given that they are in a bit of a financial hole.

Yet was still pressured enough by PIF to vote with the main Saudis. 

• Like 1

Â