Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The centre of the Earth is about the same temperature as the surface of the Sun

It is approximately 3,950 mi (6,370 km) from Earth's surface to its center. Geologists understand the structure and composition of the surface by direct observation and by analysis of rock samples raised by drilling projects; however, the depth of drill holes and, therefore, the depth limit of scientists' ability to directly observe Earth's interior is severely limited. Even the deepest drill holes (7.5 mi [12 km]) penetrate less than 0.2% of the distance to Earth's center. Thus, we know more about the layers near Earth's surface than about the depths, and can only investigate conditions deeper in the interior through indirect means.

• 1 month later...

In the UK it's always the left Escalator that goes up and the left Escalator that goes down, to match the side of the road we drive on.

Not in the Leeds Clas Ohlson it isn't.
  • Like 1

In the UK it's always the left Escalator that goes up and the left Escalator that goes down, to match the side of the road we drive on.

Not in the Leeds Clas Ohlson it isn't.

not anywhere does the left hand one do the up and the down surely?

where's the one on the right going?

• Like 1

If you stand before two escalators it's always the one your left as you face it that you catch, whether going up or down. And in the US it's the other way around, to match the side of the road the drive on.

Well that's what I'd read somewhere, maybe not true though it seems.

Edited by useless

I'm pretty sure under british standards escalators have to have the ability to go both ways, although it will eventually break it if it's continuous use in the wrong direction, so that would suggest to me that there isn't a law or guideline saying they have to go a certain way

It'll be market researched half to death though, there will be a logic to it

having installed a small number of escalators, I know for a fact I've put in a mid floor landing where you could go left or right, up or down

although the first official and patented escalator was installed somewhere in America in about 1896 or so, the first ever recorded 'one off' non-patented escalator was installed 7 years earlier in the refurbished private quarters of Cardiff Castle by Lord Bute

If you stand before two escalators it's always the one your left as you face it that you catch, whether going up or down. And in the US it's the other way around, to match the side of the road the drive on.

Well that's what I'd read somewhere, maybe not true though it seems.

not at the peacocks centre Woking

One on the right goes up and one on left goes down

• Like 1

Maybe that's why if you keep walking into a wall you'll eventually walk through it, like a ghost in the cartoons. I'm guessing the reason it doesn't usually happen is because the atoms and it's constitute parts are moving that fast that they seem to be in more than one place at the time, so the wall might as well be solid.

Â