Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

Ah yes, but Jas's claim was:

"Sunderland were the last team to win the league in striped shirts in 1936".

Which is indisputably true, as no other team won the league in striped shirts in 1936.

I was weighting for someone to bring up how it was incoreect grammatickally.

Of course you didn't do that on purpose!

No but I noticed once I viewed my message after I had posted it but I was too busy to bother changing it.

Didn't you notice my other mistakes on the latter post?

My "Of course you didn't do that on purpose!" was a sarcastic remark to the word 'weighting', which is why I highlighted it. Sorry, shoulda made that clearer and I should really stop being sarcastic. :)

Sunderland were the last team to win the league in striped shirts in 1936.

Liverpool's 1982/83 & 1983/84 shirt was striped :)

• 2 weeks later...

Can Bicks verify this one but Earnie Shavers, who is widely regarded as one of boxings hardest ever punchers, works on the door at Yates' in Liverpool?

• 2 weeks later...

Aston Villa is the second Midlands football club to be associated with Cleveland, Ohio. Cleveland's team in the United Soccer Association was the Cleveland Stokers, who were essentially Stoke City's reserves (the USA's late May - late July schedule allowed for the importation of whole sides from other clubs).

The USA had some interesting deviations from the standard rules of football, the most notable being the suspension of the offside rule on free kicks. The backers of the USA initially petitioned FIFA (which agreed to consider the USA as the official top division league for the United States) for a dispensation to completely dispense with the offside rule; suspension of the rule on free kicks was thus a compromise.

Villa become the Atlanta Chiefs for the 1969 NASL International Cup (likely managed by Phil Woosnam). For the regular season that year, the Chiefs would have their own side, one of whose players, Kaizer Motaung would return to South Africa the next year and establish Kaizer Chiefs FC.

Rutland, the smallest county in the UK is only the smallest for half of the year. The other half of the year the smallest county is the Isle of White.

Now, can anyone who doesn't watch QI tell me why?

Something to do with the tides, isn't it?

But isn't the County of Bristol much smaller than both?

When the five boroughs of New York joined (in 1898 I think)... it became the biggest amalgamation of a city ever. It (by far) eclipsed the previous largest amalgamation, which was...

... wait for it...

Buda and Pest joined to form...

... wait for it...

Budapest

I might be wrong on this... but the two closest capital cities (excluding the Holy See and Rome) in the world are:

Brazzaville (Congo) and Kinshasa (Dem.Rep.Congo) which are about 7 miles away from each other

When I was a kid I thought it was hilarious when I found out there were places called Jaffa and Fray Bentos. I couldn't imagine why anybody would want to name their town after oranges or corned beef.

Rutland, the smallest county in the UK is only the smallest for half of the year. The other half of the year the smallest county is the Isle of White.

Never mind all that, what about Rutland Weekend Television?

• 2 weeks later...

SimonThePieman wrote:

I don't watch QI so I'll have a stab and say it must be something to do with Tides - high tide covering lots of the land ... or is it going top be one of those really annoying answers that will make me groan for weeks

Vaguely inspired by Connells latest thread...

The lead singer of the Eels' dad was the fella who came up with the theory of parellel universes.

I knew that one. There was a really interesting program about it on the telly a few months ago.

Actually it wasn't all THAT interesting.

Vaguely inspired by Connells latest thread...

The lead singer of the Eels' dad was the fella who came up with the theory of parellel universes.

I knew that one. There was a really interesting program about it on the telly a few months ago.

Actually it wasn't all THAT interesting.

Same place I found out about it.

And no it wasn't...

Â