Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

I'm just repeating what I saw on a documentary eons ago, but yeah, I think I screwed this one up a little bit :)

It does reflects light in the visible spectrum, but that a very small part of the electromagnetic spectrum. So it does absorbs the heat, but light is reflected, and like you said that's why the fur appears white even though it's transparent and the skin underneath is black. Excuse me for my stupidity and for messing up of the thread :)

Let's just say we're both right and leave at that :)

Here's a good one.

If you wear special glasses with inverted lenses to make everytihng appear upside down, after a period of time, your eyes will automatically switch, so that things seem normal.

If you then take the glasses off, everything is upside down and will take another length of time for your eyes to revert to their original view.

Try it, it really doea work, but not advisable in the workplace as it's pretty dangerous. You may also look like a total bell end !

Funnily enough, when a child is born their eyesight is upside down.

Like the body stuff - Can't try the inverted glasses.

I'm told (not by a man in a pub) that putting a sleepers fingers in a cup of water has an adverse effect on bladder control - especially if they've been boozing.

Anyone confirm this?

The name Wendy did not exist in mainstream society before the writing of the book Peter Pan

I like ones like that.

It's also true that the word "Hello" wasn't used as a greeting in mainstream society before it was used in a book (I forget which one ) in the early 20th century (I think). Before that the words "Hullo" and "Hallo" were used as an exclamation (i.e. "Hullo! there's a fly in my soup" or "Hullo! Villa have signed Marlon Harewood") but never used as a greeting.

Wasn't it AGB (as he was known to his mates) after inventing the telephone who decided that 'Hullo' should be the standard greeting to use upon answering? I'm sure if I was bothered to google it I could confirm it but it's Friday and I'm a lazy man :)

Wasn't it AGB (as he was known to his mates) after inventing the telephone who decided that 'Hullo' should be the standard greeting to use upon answering? I'm sure if I was bothered to google it I could confirm it but it's Friday and I'm a lazy man :)

You're probably right. I'm just working off memory from watching QI. All I know is it was very surprising how short a time the word had been used for considering just how much we use it today.

Looked it up on Wiki. It's creditied to Edison as AGB used "Ahoy-hoy" (brilliant) as his greeting. But it was apparently recorded in literature as early as 1826. It's too complicated to go on!

Read the Ahoy-hoy thing before. Must've got 'em confused. That is (incidentally) what The Simpsons' Mr Burns uses when he answers the phone too :) As well as using petrolium distillate and re-vulcanising his tyres :lol: Great vocab he has.

The first ever recorded supernova dates back to 1054, witnessed and noted by both Chinese and Arab astronomers. For about a month it was the brightest object in the sky, aside from our sun and moon. 700 years later the English astronomer John Bevis observed it's remnants, and 100 years later it was referred to as the crab nebula. It's one of the most stunning nebula's, and the reason is that it's still expanding quickly and in it's center there's believed to be a pulsar that rotates over 30 times every second and emits enormous amounts of radiation.

Images can be seen here

Read the Ahoy-hoy thing before. Must've got 'em confused. That is (incidentally) what The Simpsons' Mr Burns uses when he answers the phone too :) As well as using petrolium distillate and re-vulcanising his tyres :lol: Great vocab he has.

Yeh, that's why I wrote brilliant in brackets. I always find it very amusing when Burns says that, i don't really know why, just tickles me. That's why i found it so funny when i read that was the original phone greeting.

Mr. Burns catchphrase "Excellent" comes from Seinfeld. Well, I don't know for sure as it might just be a coincidence, but in the episode The Engagement when Elaine, Newman and Kramer plots to kidnap a dog, Newman says "Excellent" twice in the exact, evil kinda way as Burns does in The Simpsons.

Â