Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

Only twice in Aston Villa's history have they benefitted from more own goals than they did in the 2007/08 season (4). In the '61/'62 season and in the '77/'78 season we benefitted from 5 own goals.

Beat that for useless but interesting :D

If you put a number of sea sponges (those live sponges that live in the sea) into a blender and turn it on so thy are cut into a bazillion pieces, and then put the contents of the blender into some water, the particles will seperate from each other and reform into the original sponges.

At only 5 feet and 9 inches, Mr. Carlos von Upminster of Bogota is the world's smallest giant.

He also holds the record for being the world's tallest dwarf.

At only 5 feet and 9 inches, Mr. Carlos von Upminster of Bogota is the world's smallest giant.

Surely that's the definition of average height!

Surely that's the definition of average height!

Indeed, thus completing Mr. von Upminster's remarkable hattrick of world records - he is also the most averagely heighted man in the world.

It's all in The Hackenthorpe Book of Lies.

Here's a good one.

If you wear special glasses with inverted lenses to make everytihng appear upside down, after a period of time, your eyes will automatically switch, so that things seem normal.

If you then take the glasses off, everything is upside down and will take another length of time for your eyes to revert to their original view.

Try it, it really doea work, but not advisable in the workplace as it's pretty dangerous. You may also look like a total bell end !

Heard that before Jonny but never tried it. I believe the eyes, by design, see upside down and the brain automatically inverts the image (image reflects like mirror on back of eye or something).

Here's a good one.

If you wear special glasses with inverted lenses to make everytihng appear upside down, after a period of time, your eyes will automatically switch, so that things seem normal.

If you then take the glasses off, everything is upside down and will take another length of time for your eyes to revert to their original view.

Try it, it really doea work, but not advisable in the workplace as it's pretty dangerous.

Oh, OK. Let's see, I think I've got a pair of vision-inverting glasses in the drawer here, somewhere....

Talking of Polor Bears....Their fur isn't actually white, it's trasparent and reflects light.

This was in nuts the other week, not too sure on this one myself.

It doesn't reflect light, that's the point. If it did they would freeze.

The have dark skin underneath the fur and if I remember correctly more than 95% of the light goes right through the fur and warms the skin up. In the summer they actually take dips in the water to cool down.

It doesn't reflect light, that's the point. If it did they would freeze.

The have dark skin underneath the fur and if I remember correctly more than 95% of the light goes right through the fur and warms the skin up. In the summer they actually take dips in the water to cool down.

hmmm done some research that sugests they do infact reflect visable light.

Despite what our eyes tell us, a polar bear's fur is not white. Each hair shaft is pigment-free and transparent with a hollow core. Polar bears look white because the hollow core scatters and reflects visible light, much like ice and snow does.

Okay, my comment was slighly inaccurate, but you said it a way that sounded like that was the main feature of the fur (to reflect light), but the main feature, aside from the more obvious reasons, is that it's transparent and reflects very little light.

Snow and ice reflect around 90% of the light while the polar bears fur only reflects 5%, meaning the skin will absorb heat very effectivel.

I'm just repeating what I saw on a documentary eons ago, but yeah, I think I screwed this one up a little bit :)

It does reflects light in the visible spectrum, but that a very small part of the electromagnetic spectrum. So it does absorbs the heat, but light is reflected, and like you said that's why the fur appears white even though it's transparent and the skin underneath is black. Excuse me for my stupidity and for messing up of the thread :)

Â