England v Australia/England v Italy

andykeenan

It seems strange to say, but Southgate clearly is a "vibes" coach. He uses players based on some kind of mysterious inner comfort index rather than stats. I guess if it works, it works, and he'll be proven right, but if it doesn't, it's going to look very stupid. I used to think he was more a tactician/Emery/genius type, but it's clear he's operating in the world of astral planes and crystals and who "feels" right.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

The new Wembley is such a dull place to watch a game isn't it? Top level match and barely any atmosphere whatsoever. Old Wembley had such a buzz about it for nights like this but barely anything so far.

I was just saying the same thing.  Atmosphere is as flat a pancake.

Everyone agreed too, which is unsurprising, as I'm alone in a shitty Ibis hotel room eating Maoam's and I was talking to myself. 

I'm almost tempted to turn it off and look at the 3 coat hangers on the weird, tiny open wardrobe thing, but I am persist. 

• Haha 2

Italy able to play between the lines pretty easily it seems. We seem to defend the initial attack ok but it's when the ball goes back and they build again that they are getting a lot of joy, perhaps after we've tracked runners and got out of shape. With the players we've got we should be a lot more in control and positive at home.

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Talent is there no doubt but I meant more that he picked England up when they were in the gutter and no one wanted to be there, everyone hated international football, gave us the buzz back got us to a stage where the players were likeable and we had a belief in them and then slowly chipped away at it until we are where we are now, half the team are "shit" no one wants to watch us and no one believes we will win a thing

Somehow he's putting us down exactly where he picked us up from

Forget the quality of the players at his disposal the next manager is going to have the same challenge of just picking this team up and getting some life and enjoyment out of them first, the old mental blocks are back

I really don't see it like that at all. Southgate has his flaws as we see with the continual selections of Maguire and Phillips/Henderson which should not be happening but it  will be easily rectified by the next one stopping calling them up when their club form dosen't merit it one little bit.

I think most of the squad actually enjoy playing for him but again do they actually want to win anything so it's a bit like the female side doing alright under Phil Neville and enjoying things...but then realising under Sarina Weighman there was a more effective way of winning.

Personally I have England in top 3 to win the Euros next summer. France clear favourites based on talent and achievements in last decade and I really like the depth Portugal have although I think another tournament with Ronaldo trotting around as near 40 year old CF will hinder them.

If Bellingham turns up next summer England will go very very close given Kane pretty much always scores 4-5 at the actual tournaments and England don't really concede many goals at all so there's stability at both ends.

It's nowhere near as toxic as somewhere like Germany where I imagine after the last few years confident in Germany is as low as it was in the mid 2000s. Perhaps another home tournament will spark them back into life but that's a national team that's badly lost its way.

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Italy able to play between the lines pretty easily it seems. We seem to defend the initial attack ok but it's when the ball goes back and they build again that they are getting a lot of joy, perhaps after we've tracked runners and got out of shape. With the players we've got we should be a lot more in control and positive at home.

Have they stopped calling Veratti up since his Qatar move?

Barella is a very very good player indeed. Said this before but a tempo player like that in central midfield is what England still lack at the very top level. All teams that win things have that type. Look at Italy's midfield when they won the euros, him, Veratti and Jorginho.

Would've been very worried about Newcastle this year if they'd signed him instead of Tonali.

Would  really like to see Foden tried out in the pivot but that sort of experiment is beyond the current manager so hopefully the next one attempts it at some stage.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah but he got to 2 semifinals and a final. Who can you get that will do a better job?

Stevie Wonder could see picking players on form and who actually play weekly or playing players in their natural positions might give us more?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah but he got to 2 semifinals and a final. Who can you get that will do a better job?

Most talented pool of players available in my lifetime. A lot of coaches could do better. I'd say Smith but that's probably claret and blue specs, Howe or Potter would do a great job.

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Most talented pool of players available in my lifetime. A lot of coaches could do better. I'd say Smith but that's probably claret and blue specs, Howe or Potter would do a great job.

Not a big fan of Howe, maybe cause he's managing Newcastle, but he's the man to win us a tournament. 

• Like 1

Minutes this season

Stones 300 +

Phillips 300 +

Maguire 1000+

Fair play to Maguire. Credit where its due. He has done pretty well.

But what happens when you are rusty  . Mistakes. 

Phillips gets a yellow due to a totally mistimed tackle. Not one for the team. Just totally mistimed. And then had barely been near the ball the rest of the half as i guess he is nervous he will **** up . 

And Stones loses his man for their goal . Which is what happens with no match sharpness.  

Southgate you **** tool . 

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Have they stopped calling Veratti up since his Qatar move?

Barella is a very very good player indeed. Said this before but a tempo player like that in central midfield is what England still lack at the very top level. All teams that win things have that type. Look at Italy's midfield when they won the euros, him, Veratti and Jorginho.

Would've been very worried about Newcastle this year if they'd signed him instead of Tonali.

Would  really like to see Foden tried out in the pivot but that sort of experiment is beyond the current manager so hopefully the next one attempts it at some stage.

Frattesi seems like a Maddison clone . Looks really good in that 10 position. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

It was sarcasm fellas. Neil Warnock could probably do a better job, and I'm barely exaggerating. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Frattesi seems like a Maddison clone . Looks really good in that 10 position. 

Surprised they aren't starting Dimarco and Bastoni, both were excellent in Inter's CL run last season.

Italy in transition but with their low block and pretty passing triangles in midfield this is exactly the sort of test England struggle with once in knock outs of major tournament.

Â