England v Australia/England v Italy

andykeenan

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I don't think you can pick on this particular manager because every time England have looked like they might, they have bottled it, when it mattered.

England have a history of failure and I can't see that changing.

And the responsibility of that lies with the manager, hence why most managers lose their jobs when the team fails. The  decision to let Saka take that all Important penalty was most definitely the fault of the manager. England need a manager who can get them playing without the fear factor, especially when we come up against countries who have a decent pedigree when it comes to being successful.in tournament football. 

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I didn't. I don't love any kind of play acting, be it a player in a Villa shirt or not. 

If you can't play the game honestly and let your talent speak for itself then that's a reflection on your character. 

It's why I can't entertain Maradona in a conversation of best ever player, he was a cheat.

Someone needs to speak to Bellingham and tell him it's not a good look. He doesn't need to do it, he has all the talent in the world. 

Its like old skool player arrogance, he needs that, whether you like it or not. Got the quality and takes no shit.

32 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I'd take any win in a major as an England fan. With Henderson in the middle of the park and Rishi as manager. I really would.

But under Gareth it is never ever going to happen.  Cut to the Euros and another fading super power in the quarters or semis that we should just blitz off the park and cut to Southgate tightening it up, playing it safe, sitting on his hands, not risking a sub, not changing tact when the wind shifts against us. Just dour Gary reverting back to type, the shitbag.

If I'm being honest now, the last time I had any real fire/buzz/passion for England was back at Euro '96. I can't say I've felt the same towards the England team since.

Whether that's down to inept FA, hyped up failures at tournaments, the managers England have had in that time or possibly a combination of the whole thing?

I actually nominate a different country to follow at every tournament now. The last Euros was Italy, the world cup was Argentina (Martinez might be to blame for that one) and for the fun of it, it will probably be Scotland I go for at the upcoming Euros.

Hopefully my buzz for England returns one day, but I won't be holding my breath.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's not going to be a popular comment but that was an excellent performance, especially in the second half, and when people say he should 'take the handbrake off' I don't know how it could go any better than that. 

That was a really good watch and a really good win.

It is an odd old world when one almost needs to apologise for marking an important England win over a longtime foe and that seals a Euro spot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It is an odd old world when one almost needs to apologise for marking an important England win over a longtime foe and that seals a Euro spot.  

It's tricky because I think there's a few posters (of varying opinions about the manager) who basically want to talk about the games (call them Group 1), a few posters who made their minds up long ago and are just having a laugh calling him a word removed (Group 2), and then some posters who kind of flit between different modes (Group 3). Where I think I get into trouble in this thread is that sometimes I respond in a group 1 way to people in group 3 who are looking to do the group 2 thing. 

I don't want to get in anyone's way when they're calling him a word removed; it's not really my thing but sometimes people do it in ways that make me laugh, so whatever really. But if you want to talk about the football it gets a bit harder: objectively that performance was attacking (which people say they want) and entertaining (which people also say they want). With a historical perspective it was both a good result and a good performance. But I sense that for most posters the discussion isn't really about the football as such, so it's hard to have a conversation about it. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's tricky because I think there's a few posters (of varying opinions about the manager) who basically want to talk about the games (call them Group 1), a few posters who made their minds up long ago and are just having a laugh calling him a word removed (Group 2), and then some posters who kind of flit between different modes (Group 3). Where I think I get into trouble in this thread is that sometimes I respond in a group 1 way to people in group 3 who are looking to do the group 2 thing. 

I don't want to get in anyone's way when they're calling him a word removed; it's not really my thing but sometimes people do it in ways that make me laugh, so whatever really. But if you want to talk about the football it gets a bit harder: objectively that performance was attacking (which people say they want) and entertaining (which people also say they want). With a historical perspective it was both a good result and a good performance. But I sense that for most posters the discussion isn't really about the football as such, so it's hard to have a conversation about it. 

I missed the game so despite the good result I’ll assume that Kane dived for a penalty, and there was definitely still a questionable team selection so Sareth is a word removed.

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, yes, and yes. And it needs to be said: Your measured perspective on the match is pretty much consonant with the quality football press reports. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Don't think Maguire has helped himself with those comments. Just watched a video about "propa fans, innit" 

Yeah, I was getting back on his side to br honest  not been bad for England. But after the "people who boo Henderson are not proper England fans", comment, I think I might have fell out with him again.

For you Maguire, they are 'proper England fans, just not fans of ya hypocrite mate Hendo anymore.

Â