Best modern American TV series?

ender4

Best american TV series in last decade (excluding comedies)?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Best american TV series in last decade (excluding comedies)?

• Heroes
    • Prison Break
    • Battlestar Galactica
    • Lost
    • Sarah Connor Chronicles
    • Smallville
    • Firefly
    • The West Wing
    • Other (please explain below)

I went for 24. i think my favourite at the moment is heroes, but 24 wins because it's had 6 seasons, all of which were fantastic (albeit the 6th was probably the poorest, it was still great)

Lost is good but loses marks for losing it's way in series 2 and 3, Prison break was good for a series and a half.

Only of the others I've ever really watched is Smallville (which is shit) and West Wing (which just passes me by i think. Seems like a decent program but it bores me.)

Depends what you mean by "series".

I'd define "series" as at least 10 episodes on tv with the same theme/characters.

I've never seen any of the ones in the poll.

:shock:

where have you been for the past decade :winkold:

ps - i've never heard of Band of Brothers, but just looked it up, and it seems to fit the definition of a tv series.

Battlestar Galactica closely followed by West Wing. Actually it might be a bit of a tie to be honest. I really enjoy both series, but West Wing has been going strong for quite a few years now. Must get the DVD boxes come to think of it. :)

ps - i've never heard of Band of Brothers, but just looked it up, and it seems to fit the definition of a tv series.
But it's not like the ones in your poll. It's more like "drama documentary". Based on a non-fiction war memoir, all the characters were "real people" - and there were interviews with the original guys top-and-tailing each episode.

Incidentally, I believe Spielberg is currently filming a "semi-sequel" based in the pacific theatre.

Depends what you mean by "series". I'd go with Band Of Brothers.

I've never seen any of the ones in the poll.

The only one of the series mentioned I've had sustained viewing of was Heroes. And even then I didn't bother with the second series since reading about it made it seem to be much much worse than the first series, even Ms Panettiere couldn't make me tune in.

But I'll agree with mjmooney here, Band of Brothers is absolutely superb, damn near perfect, hence why the boxset remains one of my favoured DVDs. I'd love to see a British version of the same concept.

Ive just realised ive never so much as seen a single episode of any of those shows. Are they all on Sky?

most of them on Sky1 or E4, but some also showed on terrestrial.

24 (series 1-3) was on BBC2.

Heroes was also on BBC2.

Firefly was on Sci-Fi. (repeated on Ch4?)

Though i've watched most of them on dvd, as i can't do with just waiting a week between episodes, and having adverts in the middle spoiling it.

The only one of the series mentioned I've had sustained viewing of was Heroes. And even then I didn't bother with the second series since reading about it made it seem to be much much worse than the first series, even Ms Panettiere couldn't make me tune in.

I also heard that the USA didn't like series 2 of Heroes as much.

But it was actually just as good as Series 1.

a bit slower paced which is probably why the americans didn't rate it.

Not a great list is it, doesn't have The Wire, the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood etc.

I thought of adding The Sopranos, but thought it might count as comedy-drama?

haven't seen it, so just guessing. :?

Haven't heard of the others on your list, nor has anyone i know! :oops:

as for not a great list, maybe its an age thing? Everyone i know between 16-30 watch all the ones on my list, but i doubt they would have even heard of the ones you mentioned.

I've never even heard of Firefly, was it cancelled early on or something?

Yes it was after 13 episodes. Big shame as all the characters and actors were excellent.

US TV are very harsh when it comes to shows. Unfortunately, many of the more "intelligent" shows are axed as they don't get as many viewers.

Saying that, a lot of the survivors from the axe are crap.

Dead Like Me, Day Break, Wonderfalls, Carnivale - all axed too soon.

Â