Best modern American TV series?

ender4

Best american TV series in last decade (excluding comedies)?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Best american TV series in last decade (excluding comedies)?

• Heroes
    • Prison Break
    • Battlestar Galactica
    • Lost
    • Sarah Connor Chronicles
    • Smallville
    • Firefly
    • The West Wing
    • Other (please explain below)

Depends what you mean by "series". I'd go with Band Of Brothers.

I've never seen any of the ones in the poll.

I'm with you on Band of Brothers. Phenomenal TV.

I'm a big fan of Heroes, only since Season 2 mind. I wasn't really "in" to Heroes when it first started and my old man sort of converted me. I loved Season 2 and can't wait for Season 3.

24 for me, no question.

Lost was great for 2 series. Then went shit, and although it's picking back up a bit now, it's wasted so much of my time I really can't bring myself to rate it above 24.

Vote for 24 or Jack Bauer will kick your ass.

The only ones I've followed closely on that list are Lost and 24. Lost is decent but has become more of a soap opera in exotic environment. 24 on the other hand is superb. In the middle of the 4th season now and it's the best one so far closely followed by the first. Really like that serie. Full of action and speed from beginning to the end. But CTU must be te easiest organisation ever to infiltrate. :P

Worst job ever? Security guard at CTU. Seriously, their life expectancy must be about 20 minutes.

Anyway, if you're only halfway through series 4, just wait until you see the first episode of series 5. It is probably the best episode of any show EVER!

Caught a couple of episodes of the first series of 24 actually. It was a good idea but I lost faith in the concept when it was done again and again. The immortal problem with good ideas that catch on in TV, they outlive the novelty. I couldn't watch 6 series of 24. The believability of the concept would wain. 1 series, great. 2, ok... Beyond that I start thinking 'This bloke really is unlucky with his job requiring 24hr time schedules constantly or bad crap happens'. I never realised that terrorists and potential major disasters had such a tight time schedule ;).

Similar reason why I dislike Lost, I got the distinct feeling, from 1 episode of the first series, that it was going to be milked to hell and back. Lost, as a concept for me anyway, is a 3 series thing, max, as again I'd lose interest in the story in favour of the realisation that it is almost certainly being artificially lengthened, the natural storyline being extended, more mystery added, etc etc.

Hence I don't think any of the big hyped up US series will ever especially grab me.

Lost is easily my favorite show but is followed by all the ommited Showtime and HBO shows which are in a different league to US Network tv.

Shows I particularly enjoyed:

Sleeper Cell.

Dexter.

Rome.

Band of Brothers.

Carnivale.

Big Love.

The Sopranos.

But you can't forget the likes of Law and Order, Boston Legal, Criminal Minds, Without a Trace which are pretty good tv

Rome was brilliant, TSV.

It was a British-American production though, wasn't it? That's why I didn't mention it anyway.

HBO & BBC just like Band of Brothers, I'll still stick it under American production as I would British if there was a Brit list since they should share credit.

Rome was brilliant, TSV.

It was a British-American production though, wasn't it? That's why I didn't mention it anyway.

HBO & BBC just like Band of Brothers, I'll still stick it under American production as I would British if there was a Brit list since they should share credit.

Yeah, that's true. Rome fully deserves a mention in this thread anyway.

Â