Best modern American TV series?

ender4

Best american TV series in last decade (excluding comedies)?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Best american TV series in last decade (excluding comedies)?

• Heroes
    • Prison Break
    • Battlestar Galactica
    • Lost
    • Sarah Connor Chronicles
    • Smallville
    • Firefly
    • The West Wing
    • Other (please explain below)

Someone mentioned The Wire ....

This months Empire has a good article about it ... They seem to imply it's the best TV show ever written .....

Having never watched the show I'm intrigued ... Is it any good

It's stunning............ it absolutely pisses over "traditional" TV drama.

Sopranos for me as well.

The episode of Paulie and Christopher stuck in the snow, after bunking a hit, is the finest hour(ish) of television I have ever witnessed

1st episode i ever saw was that one, which strangley enough i agree is the best hour of tv ive ever seen

the biggest surprise is possibly that it was the 1st episode that micheal imperiolli (who play chris) wrote and directed

Someone mentioned The Wire ....

This months Empire has a good article about it ... They seem to imply it's the best TV show ever written .....

Having never watched the show I'm intrigued ... Is it any good

It's stunning............ it absolutely pisses over "traditional" TV drama.

Too right. Got last night's Sky+'d and waiting, but I'm out every night this week so it will have to wait. Although anything that delays the sad day when it all comes to an end is OK by me.

I picked lost out of the lot but im not convinced. The problem with American dramas are they go on too long and there are to many episodes per series. 24's been shit for 3 series now. And Lost has well lost the plot. I like pretty much every one i've watched, but you have to put in alot of time and effort to watch them which is why i've given up on Prison Break, 24 and Heroes.

Just finished episode 6 of season one of The Wire...........its now becoming quite addictive

What did you think of the "**** me!" crime scene investigation?

heh, it reminded me of a scene from Boondock Saints, only with more finesse :-)

I've voted for other and my other is a show called Oz which is not strictly modern as no longer on TV but the DVD's have only just been released in the UK. If you have seen it you'll understand why I love it if you haven't do yourself a favour go buy season 1 sit back and kiss goodbye to your social life as you get drawn into the world of Oswold State Penetentiary.

Its AMAZING

Can i change my vote? i just finished watching the season 2 premier of Sarah Connor Chronicles, it was the best bit of tv i've seen in ages

Can't wait to watch it!

but i don't think that 1 amazing episode makes a whole tv series.

otherwise there were some episodes in Battlestar Galactica that blows your mind!

From a philosophical viewpoint, surely no other series has made me think as much as Battlestar Galactica?

Can i change my vote? i just finished watching the season 2 premier of Sarah Connor Chronicles, it was the best bit of tv i've seen in ages

Can't wait to watch it!

but i don't think that 1 amazing episode makes a whole tv series.

otherwise there were some episodes in Battlestar Galactica that blows your mind!

From a philosophical viewpoint, surely no other series has made me think as much as Battlestar Galactica?

In terms of single episodes, Lost can produce some brilliant ones. The one with Des unstuck in time was great. As was the season 3 finale.

But X-files also produced some fantastic stand alone episodes, usually ones that were completely unrelated to the main story.

I've voted for other and my other is a show called Oz which is not strictly modern as no longer on TV but the DVD's have only just been released in the UK. If you have seen it you'll understand why I love it if you haven't do yourself a favour go buy season 1 sit back and kiss goodbye to your social life as you get drawn into the world of Oswold State Penetentiary.

Its AMAZING

If I may plug Homicide again:

Homicide may have the best crew behind it EVAR:

* created by David Simon (later created The Wire, which features some character/actor crossover)

* produced & often written by Tom Fontana (later created and produced Oz)

* produced & occasionally directed by Barry Levinson

I've gone for 24 which is my personal favourite, you tend to know what you are getting with it, Bauer kills lots of people, gets caught and badly beaten, but saves the world in the end. Granted the last series was poor.

Have only seen a bit of Heroes, so not really got into that, and whilst Lost is good, it's so frustrating. I've not seen any of the others

Â