January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

13 hours ago, John said:

I think we might. Who knows, his goals may make the difference in the run-in?🤞

Maybe.. I just think that he was brought in as a replacement for Buendia. I guess it depends on if Emi has a full pre-season and is fully fit for the start of net season.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Looks likely that Chambers will get a loan move to the championship. Haven’t seen anything on Bert! 

Bert is injured or will be once he returns from AFCON.. that's usually the way. Still love the guy though!

42 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

It surely make more financial sense to just buy West Brom at this stage. 

West Bromwich Villa?  Or maybe to fit in with VSports - Vest Bromwich Albion.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah no one is a buying him.  A series of loans until the end of his contract then.  We'd prob have to cover some of his wage too.

I know he served a purpose but some big blunders under Gerrard / Purslow / Lange in terms of signing players with no resale value Donk, Chambers, Coutinho, Dinge. And then Traore who wasn’t associated with Gerrard.

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

As much as i rate the young player approach we really needed guys that can come and change what’s happening right now that may be rogers but its not clear that it would be 

Based on the up front fees that we have paid - I'm not quite sure how we would have found guys that could have come in and changed (for the better) what is happening right now for the same money.  It's hard to know the exact structure of any of the deals as they've been "undisclosed" but I can't imagine we've paid more than £15-20m up front for all 4 players and wages wise for the season they probably all add up to below Digne's hourly rate. 🙂  It would (I think) be very hard to spend £20m and find an established player who can walk into a team 5th in the PL and push them back into the title hunt (which on paper they should never be in at the moment anyway).  We'd probably be looking at someone towards twilight of their career who we would probably be looking to sell (at a loss) next summer at the latest and who would almost certainly be demanding wages at the higher end of our current pay scale.  Either that or gamble on someone who has fallen down the pecking order at their current club and who we think will reflourish almost immediately here - the key word there being gamble.

For what it is worth - if that £20m player who would improve our starting XI was out there then I am sure that Emery / Monchi considered them.  Maybe a deal (within FFP limits) wasn't possible, maybe their existing team refused point blank to negotiate, maybe they deemed them too big a gamble, maybe they are confident that Pau, Ramsey and Tielemans (and maybe Zaniolo although as a big fan of his I am now feeling more doubtful that it will happen here) are closer to full fitness / form and that the return of those players will have more of an impact on us in the short term?  Maybe they don't see 5th place (11 points clear of 7th) as something that requires big change, that we're in little more than a temporary blip and they are confident that they can get more from the existing group of players to break out of that blip?

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

As much as i rate the young player approach we really needed guys that can come and change what’s happening right now that may be rogers but its not clear that it would be 

That's called getting Pau and Digne fit a.s.a.p and also hopefully Tielemans won't be taking another two months to get back to the level he was in December.

If people are moaning we haven't done stuff like Spurs in this window please have a word with yourself. They sold a homegrown player for 100m in the summer window to give them those resources.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I know he served a purpose but some big blunders under Gerrard / Purslow / Lange in terms of signing players with no resale value Donk, Chambers, Coutinho, Dinge. And then Traore who wasn’t associated with Gerrard.

Digne has been one of our best performers this season.  We are definitely missing him at the moment.  I appreciate that his resale value won't be great but he's played a pretty big role in our improved perfomances last season and this.  Sometimes we need players who we won't make a transfer profit on but they still add value through better league / cup finishes and positioning us for the next stage in our re-evolution.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, allani said:

Digne has been one of our best performers this season.  We are definitely missing him at the moment.  I appreciate that his resale value won't be great but he's played a pretty big role in our improved perfomances last season and this.  Sometimes we need players who we won't make a transfer profit on but they still add value through better league / cup finishes and positioning us for the next stage in our re-evolution.

Yeah I knew that one was coming I’m not the type to call out players and moan about them being shi*t I wasn’t pointing that the players were poor but in terms of running the club sustainably they weren’t smart moves. I agree with your last point regarding Dinge and to some degree Alex Moreno fits that category despite being half the fee of Dinge but the other players mentioned have been waste of resources because Steven Gerrard wanted “International experience” at the club. Olsen was one I missed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

Based on the up front fees that we have paid - I'm not quite sure how we would have found guys that could have come in and changed (for the better) what is happening right now for the same money.  It's hard to know the exact structure of any of the deals as they've been "undisclosed" but I can't imagine we've paid more than £15-20m up front for all 4 players and wages wise for the season they probably all add up to below Digne's hourly rate.

And yet (this is not disagreeing with you) when I looked before, Rogers was the second most expensive signing in the country and Kosta was fourth! (Sure that’ll move around today). Low-spending window for everyone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Meanwhile, our Youth Recruitment Team get to work finding players... the only way they know how... 

zLFubmn.png 

What's the deal with this anyway?  West Brom aren't exactly known for producing elite talent.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

What's the deal with this anyway?  West Brom aren't exactly known for producing elite talent.

They find them, then everyone else nicks them and turns them into good players 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

Based on the up front fees that we have paid - I'm not quite sure how we would have found guys that could have come in and changed (for the better) what is happening right now for the same money.  It's hard to know the exact structure of any of the deals as they've been "undisclosed" but I can't imagine we've paid more than £15-20m up front for all 4 players and wages wise for the season they probably all add up to below Digne's hourly rate. 🙂  It would (I think) be very hard to spend £20m and find an established player who can walk into a team 5th in the PL and push them back into the title hunt (which on paper they should never be in at the moment anyway).  We'd probably be looking at someone towards twilight of their career who we would probably be looking to sell (at a loss) next summer at the latest and who would almost certainly be demanding wages at the higher end of our current pay scale.  Either that or gamble on someone who has fallen down the pecking order at their current club and who we think will reflourish almost immediately here - the key word there being gamble.

For what it is worth - if that £20m player who would improve our starting XI was out there then I am sure that Emery / Monchi considered them.  Maybe a deal (within FFP limits) wasn't possible, maybe their existing team refused point blank to negotiate, maybe they deemed them too big a gamble, maybe they are confident that Pau, Ramsey and Tielemans (and maybe Zaniolo although as a big fan of his I am now feeling more doubtful that it will happen here) are closer to full fitness / form and that the return of those players will have more of an impact on us in the short term?  Maybe they don't see 5th place (11 points clear of 7th) as something that requires big change, that we're in little more than a temporary blip and they are confident that they can get more from the existing group of players to break out of that blip?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/arthur-vermeeren/profil/spieler/926694

18 million euros, I can't believe he went for so little

Edited by paul514