January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

John Carew and Ashley Young January 2007 

Young ironically enough from a Championship team (I know Watford were in the prem that year but they were awful).

But much like Deano's successful winter window - the squad had clear issues that need to be addressed whereas our most pertinent issue currently is another rotational RB.

Edited by DJBOB

11 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Nope - that's not sustainable and everyone wants that type of player.

That type of player doesn’t have to be 40 million plus if you have a world class recruitment strategy and top coaching to enhance and it wouldn’t be more than 1 or 2 signings either as i feel we jus need a slight touch or two.. our current form/position will tell you nothing major is required… for example a Nico Williams coming in would increase our chances drastically and we would be more confident with that extra quality and I know he would be slightly more than the 40 million mark but yeah lets go and get stuff done.

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

I don't mean to be negative, and I do understand FFP, we need to give full attention to increasing our revenue and income streams in the months and years ahead because quite frankly we aren't doing well here. I'll just give 2 examples: January 1999 and January 2009. We were in the top 4 on both occasions, and fell away badly on both occasions for not strengthening accordingly. I just don't want history repeating itself, which it always seems to do being a Villa fan. 

I agree and besides if we get docked 10 pts so be it, its worth the risk, our boss will get that all back in no time. 

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

15 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Fitting that he has the McDonalds logo on his sleeve.

I'm pretty sure that's a MacDonald's uniform.

13 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Might not even be a target and I’m not familiar with him, but maybe a player who can be “moulded” into a more defensive type perhaps…

I’m just excited now that Donk has gone and over the possibility of a better or more suitable player coming in… having no real alternative for Kamara was the biggest issue or deficiency in the squad for me…

hopefully that gets addressed now and Unai gets a player he actually wants and rates… maybe from La Liga… maybe someone who hasn’t and won’t even get mentioned until we are close to completing the deal…

suppose we could do a loan with view to buy deal if we are restricted this window (again, I think this has been overblown though esp by fans who, let’s be honest, know very little at all about the state of club finances and FFP)…

I choose to spend the rest of the window in a state of anticipation and optimism… 

so much to play for and I cannot envisage us being in a weaker state once the deadline has passed… I expect us to attack the remainder of this season with force and in a more formidable state… especially with players returning from injury and recovering/improving form…

one or two key additions would make us even stronger…

That is precisely what I am hoping for.

Victor Boniface has scored 16 in 24 apps for Beyer Leverkusen, I say we go for the hat trick of Leverkusen signings and get him in! 

Edited by alreadyexists

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

if we get docked 10 pts so be it, its worth the risk, our boss will get that all back in no time. 

Nope. Terrible call. Could/would mean missing out on European football, far less revenue, even tighter FFP and less chance to spend and less attractive to the players we want. Would be a disaster - which is why we (and most other clubs) are avoiding that.

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

I agree and besides if we get docked 10 pts so be it, its worth the risk, our boss will get that all back in no time. 

I'd rather avoid a fine but at the same time I want us to go for it 😂 ultimately I think even if we went for one marquee signing in January we'd be ok, just have to scale back a bit in summer, and would depend on if we make Champions League or not, but truth be told no one knows how much wiggle room we will have because our accounts aren't available until later in the year.

7 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I'd rather avoid a fine but at the same time I want us to go for it 😂 ultimately I think even if we went for one marquee signing in January we'd be ok, just have to scale back a bit in summer, and would depend on if we make Champions League or not, but truth be told no one knows how much wiggle room we will have because our accounts aren't available until later in the year.

This is the problem Newcastle are facing, the money gained by their champions league qualification dose not appear in accounts till next season. You can't borrow from the summer if that money is not available until the following summer 

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Young ironically enough from a Championship team (I know Watford were in the prem that year but they were awful).

But much like Deano's successful winter window - the squad had clear issues that need to be addressed whereas our most pertinent issue currently is another rotational RB.

Young was obviously an outstanding talent back then though. As Bellingham also showed with the team that he started at, there are good players in poor teams occasionally, given we are now hampered on what we can spend, these are the players we will be needing to identify now. 

• Like 2

Getting Diaby back to form, would be like a new signing.....seeing Ollie showing his early season form, would be nifty, and seeing Bailey taking his game to the opposition with gusto......would be a huge lift.

If that front 3 can play with a bit of Belief and aggression, it will get us back on track

If we can get our edge back, we already have the players to make our mark.

A few have taken a dip in form, and a few niggly injuries, have disrupted the momentum and taken away our edge.

I don't see realistic signings coming in this month and turning that around.....The present players, have to find a way, to rediscover the urgency, intensity and hunger.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, John said:

Young was obviously an outstanding talent back then though. As Bellingham also showed with the team that he started at, there are good players in poor teams occasionally, given we are now hampered on what we can spend, these are the players we will be needing to identify now. 

A very good point.....and this takes a trained eye, to spot it.

It also takes an experienced scout, to visualise, a player like that, playing in a team like ours.

John McGinn is just one example....but it can be replicated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

That type of player doesn’t have to be 40 million plus

for example a Nico Williams

he would be slightly more than the 40 million mark but yeah lets go and get stuff done.

That’s the worst example I have ever seen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

That is precisely what I am hoping for.

I think Unai and Monchi deserve a little more faith… I just can’t imagine or fathom the idea that our squad would be weaker by the end of the window, it would make no sense.

I’m sure there are plans in place and savvy moves to make or already in the works… nothing drastic but a “tune up” of sorts without much of a financial outlay or hit (offset by the outgoings and freeing up of wages)…

As ever, it’s best to take a wait and see approach…

but when the hell have we ever done that? 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Victor Boniface has scored 16 in 24 apps for Beyer Leverkusen, I say we go for the hat trick of Leverkusen signings and get him in! 

spacer.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AXD said:

Rumour in Belgium that we are pushing for Mandela Keita, 21y old DM from Antwerp. They need to balance their books, that’s why Vermeeren is also leaving mid season.

I have just read the same on a West Ham link