January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

I just saw something which shows our losses as 306 mill over the 3 years ( Supposed to be 105 ) and has us 3rd in the list for FFP losses after Everton and another club.

So yeah, anyone who thinks we can just spunk money or the owners have " lost ambition" are neglecting the reality.

It also emphasises the need for us to prioritise trying to earn Champions League Football and higher finishes over anything else.

" Winning a Cup " won't stop us from getting fines and point deductions and losing our best players.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

Mate, let’s just try n keep it chill. No point in everyone getting worked up n arguing senselessly…

Let’s just stay calm and try n have a reasoned debate or ignore inflammatory stuff…

Like I said, your line on “worried about ambition” is what got a negative reaction and you probably didn’t mean it in the way some have taken it.

I’m confident that there isn’t a lack of ambition at the club and that we aren’t struggling in a financial or FFP sense… it’s just something that needs managing and I believe we are doing it well…

I've always found you're reasonable to debate with, Jas. I agree with a lot of what you say. 

Good to see somebody not take it too seriously anyway! We're all gonna be dead in 60 years anyway. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I just saw something which shows our losses as 306 mill over the 3 years ( Supposed to be 105 ) and has us 3rd in the list for FFP losses after Everton and another club.

So yeah, anyone who thinks we can just spunk money or the owners have " lost ambition" are neglecting the reality.

It also emphasises the need for us to prioritise trying to earn Champions League Football and higher finishes over anything else.

If this is accurate then that's why I suspected only sales this January.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I've always found you're reasonable to debate with, Jas. I agree with a lot of what you say. 

Good to see somebody not take it too seriously anyway! We're all gonna be dead in 60 years anyway. 

60? I never took you for an optimist!! 😂

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

" Winning a Cup " won't stop us from getting fines and point deductions and losing our best players.

Yep… our highest priority should be Champions League football. It’s the best way for us to expand and progress in so many ways…

As appealing as a trophy is… it’s not going to advance us anywhere near as much as CL qualification will. And with a manager like Unai… I think it’s something we could sustain if we manage to get in there…

Anyway… why not both? 😂

Could see us winning ECL and qualifying for CL to be fair but we need luck with injuries and player form… an intelligent signing to two would really help n boost us…

and like you’ve said before… now’s the time to “go for it” if we can and while being sensible about it…

strike while the iron is hot as they say… etc. etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Couldn't find the exact article, but found another one which shows it.

We are basically just behind Everton and Chelsea. Not pretty is it 🤦🏿‍♂️

https://sqaf.club/premier-league-ffp-table/

Wonder will we look to offload one of the crown jewels to get us back on track? Absolutely galling that Man City are almost breaking even on that table.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It was after the match and the two things you mention are not connected. Emery is brilliant but not infallible. In my opinion, he made mistakes during the Utd match tactically that cost us. 

Perspective. I will talk about it when you claim the owners have lost ambition because of a new club crest and a throw away link to one of Lazio's best players. 

I have perspective but I have also supported Villa for a long time and know we have a habit of making a hash of things. You mention Spurs being regular CL contenders, they only made the CL in 2010, they have rubbed shoulders with the top clubs ever since, primarily by being very good in the transfer market. This wouldn’t be an example of that, he’s an average player past his best regardless of whether it’s a free. Tielemans and Kamara were both amazing free transfers, one because they’re above average, and two because they’re both at a really good age. 

And I never mentioned the owners. I just said this type of signing seems lacking in ambition, that could be levelled at anyone.

Unai isn’t exempt from criticism on occasion but I don’t think it’s wise to berate a manager who’s given us a 60% win rate and is the best manager we’ve had in my lifetime. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Couldn't find the exact article, but found another one which shows it.

We are basically just behind Everton and Chelsea. Not pretty is it 🤦🏿‍♂️

https://sqaf.club/premier-league-ffp-table/

Almost like someone clearly inputted the data wrong. 

No way did we lose 274 million in our 2nd year in the prem. We'd have to have spent 400 million on players to do so. 

• Like 4

We most certainly have to be looking at Dybala it would be criminal not to, but do i hear hes injury record is abysmal that would be the only concern from me.

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Haha, I’m insane for questioning bringing in a player who couldn’t even cut it at West Ham? 

Ok mate.

Well I’ll be insane with ya 👏🏽

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RoyalVilla said:

That article says we lost £274.9m in the 20/21 season. Can that be right? 

This is something @Czarnikjak pulled together a while back.

I for one am shocked a random website saying we lost £300m in one year is incorrect. 

IMG_6786.jpeg.f8833c3e982f5f4e04508e0fc387003c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Really not keen on the idea of 30/31 year old players of dubious quality being signed. Makes me wonder if we’ve either lost our ambition or have FFP issues, but I’d rather we do nothing than litter the squad with aging players who don’t offer any improvements on the team. Free transfers are a good strategy when you’re bringing in players like Kamara and Tielemans who are quality (even if Tielemans had lost his way a bit at Leicester), not players like Anderson who’s already been poor in the league and going to be receiving his pension soon. Some of the other names mentioned as suggestions for a team in 2nd with a world class manager like Dele Alli, I mean WTF?

Hopefully people will regain their sanity soon and start talking about quality players who will actually improve us.

Yeah we have low ambitions if we are just going to accept players like anderson and others we have been linked to even Acuna who may well be fantastic is still at a age where we should be staying away from. The position we are in we should be now changing the mindset and looking at more ambitious potential signings and everything you said is spot on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Chiesa has been returning from serious injury, recovering form and fitness.

Also played under a manager who had been widely criticised and derided by the club’s own fans… for playing boring, negative football.

I’ve never seen Anderson dominate an international tournament, lead his side to victory and absolutely shine and standout in important games.

Chiesa is world class and would be the best forward/winger we’ve had at the club in an age… still fairly young too.

Maybe I’m biased, but he’s one of my favourite players and I love his attitude/personality… he has high workrate and determination coupled with exceptional talent. Exceptional dribbler and a genuine goal threat and game winner & changer…

I love him.

Anyway… his value and worth far exceeds Anderson’s and he’d be a difficult signing to make but a genuine demonstration of our ambition if we could somehow manage it and convince a player like that to join us.

-

Anderson is meh and not as good as the players we have… all imo of course.

Maybe you can get away with older/ageing players in defence and even midfield in PL, but it’s even more difficult to get them performing in forward areas unless they have been world class for a while, there are rare exceptions.

Many players fail to meet the standards of this league now. Serie A has, sadly, fallen so far behind.

He underwhelmed the last time he was here, can’t see him doing much better this time around and just seems like a waste of wages… never seemed to have the character or fight required either… a player who can go missing…

I just don’t believe it’s a genuine link most of all, would be very surprised.

Of course… I’ll soon change my tune if it is genuine and Unai actually wants him 😂 and we all know he can get more out of players than most…

Just the way I view it, I’m no expert. But I feel we are much more ambitious and capable than the recent names being thrown around here…

Look where we are and how well we are doing… why would we go for mediocre players, once again - we don’t need numbers. Why are we making stupid suggestions like Antonio and Delle Alli when we are flying?

We’ve been trimming the fat (why would we add to it?) and raising the quality and standard… I’m sure well continue in that vein.

Some fans need to start aligning their sights and ambitions with the people at the club imo…

Enhancements and potential when and where possible… or just hold fire.

Is Chiesa the only player in the world to you 🤣