January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But imo Konsa is a better level RB than Duran is ready to be our striker.  This is nothing against Duran but if Cash was out (and even if he wasn’t as shown recently) then Konsa is more than capable as a defensive RB.  Maybe not the free ranging RB equivalent of Moreno but still a top player whereas Duran is so raw and at the moment such a step down in so many factors to Ollie because of his rawness it’s a much bigger weakness for us than RB imo.  So it doesn’t matter to me about “natural” I’m more concerned about level, effectiveness and quality.

Probably but I just don't see it happening given that the target would only really play if Ollie got hurt.

So you'd be looking at players that are currently out of form or not starting moving from bench to bench.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Philosopher said:

This points to a vulnerability in transition and that's at least in part down to our high line, but also to poor pressing at times. The only way to improve here is to be more defensive (but we'd then score less goals) or find a way to score more, while not weakening defensively. 

Wrong it's just not conceding first (or conceding in the first 15 minutes) 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually always said I liked Werner lol. Tenacious, hard working and quick.

Not to be depended on as a " striker " though.

I agree on his reasoning but I would much rather sort out other positions first. GK/RB/DCM

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

But imo Konsa is a better level RB than Duran is ready to be our striker.  This is nothing against Duran but if Cash was out (and even if he wasn’t as shown recently) then Konsa is more than capable as a defensive RB.  Maybe not the free ranging RB equivalent of Moreno but still a top player whereas Duran is so raw and at the moment such a step down in so many factors to Ollie because of his rawness it’s a much bigger weakness for us than RB imo.  So it doesn’t matter to me about “natural” I’m more concerned about level, effectiveness and quality.

Perhaps Unai has agreed to a request from Konsa to convert him to an RB to give him more of a chance to get game time in the England squad.  He might even get a start at LB for England if he's known primarily as an RB!

5 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Perhaps Unai has agreed to a request from Konsa to convert him to an RB to give him more of a chance to get game time in the England squad.  He might even get a start at LB for England if he's known primarily as an RB!

Less chance of an England call for RB with Walker, James, TAA, Trippier already there to name just a few.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Probably but I just don't see it happening given that the target would only really play if Ollie got hurt.

So you'd be looking at players that are currently out of form or not starting moving from bench to bench.

Don’t agree with this, there is plenty of game time that players will get really good minutes because of whatever reason from sub minutes, giving Ollie rest games to keep him fresh, cup games, form, needing two strikers in a game, needing a different tactic because a current tactic isn’t working, injuries, suspensions or whatever.  We don’t want Ollie to play 60 games a season because we won’t get the best out of him with that both in-game and for future seasons.

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Don’t agree with this, there is plenty of game time that players will get really good minutes because of whatever reason from sub minutes, giving Ollie rest games to keep him fresh, cup games, form, needing two strikers in a game, needing a different tactic because a current tactic isn’t working, injuries, suspensions or whatever.  We don’t want Ollie to play 60 games a season because we won’t get the best out of him with that both in-game and for future seasons.

There is always the chance that if the quality drop between Watkins and our 2nd choice attacker was less obvious than it is with Duran then that attacker would get more game time. Alongside Watkins or replacing him earlier in games.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No one plays 2 strikers anymore. I think Rodri played most games for City all comps last season was 50 something. City treble probably wasn't 60 games. Ollie said he wants to play every game he can. Emery got rid of Ings because he wants Ollie main man

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

No one plays 2 strikers anymore. I think Rodri played most games for City all comps last season was 50 something. City treble probably wasn't 60 games. Ollie said he wants to play every game he can. Emery got rid of Ings because he wants Ollie main man

We obviously don’t agree on this topic.

Emery literally played two strikers for part of our last game against Brentford.  In fact it ended up being 35 minutes so you aren’t correct on that.

As for 60 games, 38 league games, ECL hopefully we’ll get to final which means over 10 games and then if we do well in the cup we could could be mid fifties in terms of games at least.

• Like 1

Werner is an interesting suggestion actually.

He looked like he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo at Chelsea, but the same guy scored 28 in 34 in the Bundesliga the year before, and he has averaged just under a goal every other game in the CL and at international level, so the talent is clearly there.

There are a lot of similarities to Watkins, whose finishing was also heavily criticised before Emery came in. They both have a similar physical profile - size, stamina, pace, strength. Their work rate has never been in question. They both drop deep to get involved but also threaten with runs in behind.

If Emery could get the best out of him, like he has with Watkins, McGinn, Luiz, etc. he could be a phenomenal signing. He would be ideal backup if anything happened to Ollie or we need to rest him, and he could also play in the other role up front, as his work rate and build up play are excellent, and his directness would be a different option to Diaby.

Hasn't played much this season and it looks like he was dropped to the bench before the injuries, so could be available for a bargain fee. It's worth more consideration than just laughing at his time at Chelsea. If teams did the same with Lukaku, Salah, de Bruyne they'd have missed out big.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

Werner is an interesting suggestion actually.

He looked like he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo at Chelsea, but the same guy scored 28 in 34 in the Bundesliga the year before

That was suggestion on some guys podcast about if each club could sign 1 player. That record was 2019 looked today and numbers not great since left Chelsea but didn't check minutes etc

I didn't think we needed to sign anyone, but I am now of the opinion that our most urgent signing is a RB if the right one is available.

I'm a Matty Cash fan, but I think he's reached his limits and I feel he stands out a bit now in the team as not being as fluid and switched on as the others.

14 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Chambers and Traore are surely out in January whether on loan or permanent.

Traore injured and will probably be off to AFCON if he's fit and will return injured. He'll leave end of season when contract expires

Chambers we don't need tbf but again experienced player who can cover lots of positions so might stay until summer

8 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I didn't think we needed to sign anyone, but I am now of the opinion that our most urgent signing is a RB if the right one is available.

I'm a Matty Cash fan, but I think he's reached his limits and I feel he stands out a bit now in the team as not being as fluid and switched on as the others.

I think Cash is caught between being decent at attacking a good defender, but not a CB. So if we was more like Moreno in that he's brilliant attacker and average defender he'd be able to operate as a RM ahead of Konsa better or be the attacking RB and we have Pau or Lenglet play LB.

I think that's why we will look for a very attacking RB/RM option in Summer or possibly Jan. I think Cash and Digne can be sold for good profits in terms of FFP and facilitate two new fullbacks joining. 

Cash is a great right back in the traditional RB profile who is both good attacking and defending. We don't need that type of player for our team 

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Traore injured and will probably be off to AFCON if he's fit and will return injured. He'll leave end of season when contract expires

Chambers we don't need tbf but again experienced player who can cover lots of positions so might stay until summer

Not a chambers fan at all. I have no confidence in him regardless of the position he plays in.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I agree RB is where we can find an immediate improvement in the first team. So this makes RB a bigger priority than a back up anything!

Cash is good when teams come at us, as his energy and movement will see him exploit the space that leaves. However he is an average crosser at best, and he struggles to beat a man one on one. We also need genuine recovery pace in his position.

In regard to a back up for Watkins, i feel Duran is perfect. Watkins almost never gets injured. Now there is always a first but, the reality is his Back up will be lucky to pick up even one premier league start. Duran has HUGE potential. This lad (so long as he works hard and listens to those trying to help him) will be a star. For me his raw potential is world class complete striker. Pace, power, technique, work rate, touch, all the best raw materials are in him.

Now if we decided to loan him out to get him more game time, then a striker coming in on loan would make sense. But who would go on loan to a club where he probably won't even get to start in the Premier league?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

That was suggestion on some guys podcast about if each club could sign 1 player. That record was 2019 looked today and numbers not great since left Chelsea but didn't check minutes etc

Excluding penalties, he has 10 goals and 8 Goal Creating Actions (better stat than assists imo) in the equivalent minutes of 24.8 games in the Bundesliga.

2 goals and 3 GCA in the equivalent of 6.2 Champions League games.

5 goals and 2 assists (GCA isn't tracked) in the equivalent of 5.6 cup games.

8 goals and 2 assists (GCA isn't tracked) in 12.5 games at international level in 2022 + 2023. 

Still very solid production. Played out wide for a decent chunk of those games too.

• Thanks 1

If there’s one manager who can get Werner back to his best form from his Pre Chelsea days then it’s Don Unai. He’s one of those winger/forwards too. 

However he’s not hit the heights in the premier league and it’d be a huge risk. We seem stacked with winger/forwards too. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Not a chambers fan at all. I have no confidence in him regardless of the position he plays in.

True but he can do something off the bench if we need it. He is capable enough and can come on in CDM, RB, RCB if we are down to the bones.