January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

11 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Brian Mubemo is also would be a quality addition. 

Did he have a good game today with goal and assist? He scores most goals from penalties he's no better than what we've got even outside starting XI so please no

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

probably already is better than Traore, for example.

Careful now 😉 

But on a serious note I think he is very underrated. A lot of their good attacking stuff comes from him but he doesn’t seem to get as much credit as he perhaps deserves. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

It has to be said, your posts do often project an irritating, reductive, absolute certainty regarding the reasons why things happen, or are the way they are.

For example, 'he is no better than any player we already have (even outside of the starting XI)', as supported by the fact that 'most of his goals come from penalties'. 

Why make a reductive statement like that without also allowing for consideration of Bryan's recent development in a new role leading the line at Brentford?

What about his devastating pace, lethal finishing and tenacious press, all of which have been on show in Toney's absence?

These factors, could in different ways, either be slowing down or speeding up his progress, but you haven't considered them at all, instead, you have just decided he's no better.

The truth, in my opinion, is that he is a good player, probably somewhat underated, who is now coming into his own and growing in confidence. A bit of a hidden gem and late developer, if you like.

We picked up Watkins from the same club after he went through a similar transformation and there were question marks about him when we did.

For some, those question marks still exist because he isn't the finished article, but Villa can't buy that type of player yet, we have to take a punt on talented players we think can be developed by our excellent manager and Mr Mbuemo fits into that category.

He may not be any better than our first XI forward players, but he could be and he could/probably already is better than Traore, for example. so he shouldn't be dismissed in a cock sure way. 

On a lighter note, here's some other rather endearing stuff about Bryan that might persuade you he'd be a lovely fella to have around at the Villa...

Growing up, Bryan supported Lyon. His favourite footballer is Eden Hazard. His inspiration is his parents. If he had not become a professional footballer, Bryan's dream job would be a gamer or an actor. Outside of football, Bryan enjoys video games and drawing. His favourite genre of music is French rap. Bryan also plays Call of Duty, and FIFA, and on FIFA he plays as France! His favourite TV show and film are Catch Me If You Can and My Wife and Kids. Bryan can also play piano and paint! In the future, Bryan would like to go to an island paradise.

Can I have an opinion? He's scored 5 goals and 1 assist and most goals penalties. People shit on our current players for less. I also play piano so maybe need to reevaluate 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Can I have an opinion? He's scored 5 goals and 1 assist and most goals penalties. People shit on our current players for less. I also play piano so maybe need to reevaluate 

Nobody can, nor are they trying to stop you from having an opinion, Mr Kiwi. I just feel you should be less absolute in your dismissal of Bryan's all round game relative to our current crop.

Also, if those are his stats for this season, they are actually pretty good, but last season was also impressive, as this quote shows...

Only strike partner Ivan Toney and Leicester's James Maddison have recorded a higher goal contribution tally for teams outside the top eight than Bryan Mbeumo this season.

The Frenchman is outshone by his excellent team-mate but manager Thomas Frank certainly does not undervalue him, handing him the fifth-most minutes of any Brentford outfielder.

I'm not alone in considering him to be an underated talent. You have made a rash assessment, I fear.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Nobody can, nor are they trying to stop you from having an opinion, Mr Kiwi. I just feel you should be less absolute in your dismissal of Bryan's all round game relative to our current crop.

Also, if those are his stats for this season, they are actually pretty good, but last season was also impressive, as this quote shows...

Only strike partner Ivan Toney and Leicester's James Maddison have recorded a higher goal contribution tally for teams outside the top eight than Bryan Mbeumo this season.

The Frenchman is outshone by his excellent team-mate but manager Thomas Frank certainly does not undervalue him, handing him the fifth-most minutes of any Brentford outfielder.

I'm not alone in considering him to be an underated talent. You have made a rash assessment, 

Watkins has 10 goal contributions if winning penalties count and some on here think he's not good enough

Edited by Kiwivillan

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Mbuemo is the same as Gallagher, perfectly safe established PL player who would improve our squad but not necessarily our starting 11 but at a cost of £30m+ which offers very little value

I wouldn't moan about signing him but I wouldn't exactly laud Monchi for it either

I'm  in this boat. Aside from youth signings, I'd  like us  to sign players that fit into one of three categories:

1. Obvious improvement  over existing first team players (e.g. Diaby over Bailey)

2. Prospect that can contribute to first  team occasionally and has a high ceiling (e.g. Duran)

3. Solid back up at reasonable value where there's  an obvious need (e.g. arguably Dendoncker - we discussed  LB, CF and GK back up plenty in the summer, but there are no totally  obvious ones - I know plenty will say Olsen, I just don't  know who would be a better cheap and realistic  back up)

I don't  think Mbeumo fits into any of the above 

• Like 1

The links to Carlos Soler are exciting me!

This guy has good pace, excellent passer, good ball carrier, lovely touch, plays CM, LM, and RM so would really fit in well with Emery's style and tactical approach.

Him, Ramsey, McGinn, and Zaniolo plus Diaby and Bailey and our wide positions and second striker positions are nicely stocked. I feel currently that our LM position is a little light as McGinn  and Zaniolo are better on the right or behind the striker. 

So I see it currently as Zaniolo and Diaby as 10's McGinn and Bailey are RM's, then Ramsey as the Left midfielder. So we need another left midfielder.

I'd like to see a right back and Dendonker replaced with a similar sized player but with more energy, aggression, and mobility. But I feel Iroegbunam could be that player.

But really all these moves are contingent on the right players being available to us. Otherwise we make do with what we have. As the squad is more than decent already.

We also need a back up keeper comfortable in possession.

Edited by Philosopher

Today, and Brighton, showed that we are at the level now whereby we need to bring in young top quality players to get higher. 

Players who we currently rate need to be upgraded.

For me I would go after Neto, and another midfielder, but Emery seems to know what he is doing.

Exciting times.

A word for DS as well. How much would we get for nearly all of his signings?

Was watching Barca-Bilbao earlier. Nico Williams got into some good positions but needs work on his final ball/shot. He's probably not even a legitimate target anymore but I'm not convinced he'd have made more of an impact than Diaby has. Ferran Torres in good form but on the periphery of the game. Joao Felix was very good but in his sort of way, nearly scoring and nearly assisting several times. You can see from his style what a good fit he'd be when we go 4-2-2-2 though.

Interested how some of the other names we've been linked with under UE are getting on. Asensio and Kang-Lee both ended up at PSG. Ceballos back to bench warming as usual at Real Madrid.

Remember aswell that link to Gerard Deulofeu last January? Did his knee and he still hasn't returned to playing for Udinese.

I imagine we'll look to La Liga again in January.

On 22/10/2023 at 08:11, Kiwivillan said:

Well done on playing the piano, I don’t think anyone is questioning your keypad skills. 

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

There are no major gaps in the squad, unless we pick up injuries to the likes of Watkins and Dibu. SO would still replace Olsen this Jan and would like another option up top.

How about Liam Delap from Man City for the other forward option. Big potential, doing well on loan at Hull. Seen the success of Cole Palmer at Chelsea, I think Delap is next to break out. 

Probably would cost £20 Million.

Edited by Pongo Waring

14 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Today, and Brighton, showed that we are at the level now whereby we need to bring in young top quality players to get higher. 

Players who we currently rate need to be upgraded.

For me I would go after Neto, and another midfielder, but Emery seems to know what he is doing.

Exciting times.

A word for DS as well. How much would we get for nearly all of his signings?

Watching Deano after the game with Ollie reminded me of his absolute affinity and undeniable closeness and understanding of both the club and the players. The fact that he was released by a CEO without any affinity for the club or genuine understanding of it or it’s players, for what appears to be his own and thst of his mate’s benefit still annoys me. Ok I wouldn’t swap Dean for Unai, or anyone else but thst wasn’t his plan anyway. Unai, whilst not a life long fan like Dean with the long term affinity or convections that Dean clearly has, does get the Villa and its players. He’s the perfect fit! UTV and long live the Sultan of Unai!!! It feels just like the late 70s/ early 80s. Our next backroom signing needs to be a cabinet maker!

5 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

How about Liam Delap from Man City for the other forward option. Big potential, doing well on loan at Hull. Seen the success of Cole Palmer at Chelsea, I think Delap is next to break out. 

Probably would cost £20 Million.

I thought Rory Delap was a bit old before the edit

• Haha 3