Clément Lenglet

Tom13

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Be that as it may - you're entitled to your feelings - Carlos has a higher win percentage of games played than Lenglet.

Other factors involved but I would err towards results and facts over feelings personally.

I like both of them, but I rate Carlos higher generally.

That's fair.

Regarding the win percentage though, not sure we can place too much importance on that? Carlos I'd assume has played many more games when Pau was fit? And we all know how crucial he is to us.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I wouldn't be against selling Carlos and keeping Lenglet. Carlos is made of glass sadly.

Why are people obsessed with getting rid of one of the two right footed CBs we have on the books to stack up on LCBs?

We need Lenglet (or replacement) and Carlos (or replacement). They perform different roles and have different skillsets 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Why are people obsessed with getting rid of one of the two right footed CBs we have on the books to stack up on LCBs?

We need Lenglet (or replacement) and Carlos (or replacement). They perform different roles and have different skillsets 

Who's obsessed about it? 😂

18 hours ago, astondalston said:

I’d just like to take a moment to remember the time, not so long ago, when we had to rely on Jan Bednarak.. 

Thanks for reading, I’ll be on my way.

His last start for us was against Fulham away which got Gerrard sacked instantaneously. Seems like he did a very good job for us to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If Mings comes back we don't need Lenglet or a replacement. We do need a Carlos or his replacement, and if Konsa is to be a right back we probably need another RCB.

25 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

If Mings comes back we don't need Lenglet or a replacement. We do need a Carlos or his replacement, and if Konsa is to be a right back we probably need another RCB.

Completely. Utterly. Wrong

We need a LCB of a back 3 in possession to be out progressive passer and carrier. Mings is not a backup/alternative to Pau for the role we need.

Mings is a central CB of a back three there for defending, recovery pace, recycling possession with simple passes. 

Football isn't left footed CB and Right footed CB. It's what role are they playing. What skills do they need

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We need a LCB of a back 3 in possession to be out progressive passer and carrier. Mings is not a backup/alternative to Pau for the role we need.

Mings is a central CB of a back three there for defending, recovery pace, recycling possession with simple passes. 

Football isn't left footed CB and Right footed CB. It's what role are they playing. What skills do they need

You are aware Mings played that role last season?

35 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Actually, the central CB will often be the best passer.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

You are aware Mings played that role last season?

He was one of only 3 CBs at the club and only left footed one.

Also we played 2 CBs and a more defensive RB in a 4 2 2 2 not our build up structure of 3 2 4 1 like this season. 

So no, Mings did not play the role Pau perfoms in the current team. Mings and Pau would play in the same team had Mings not been injured 

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Actually, the central CB will often be the best passer.

Very subjective the word "best" I assume you mean having highest passing accuracy. Takes no account of the difficulty or the risk reward of pass 

Also what is best for Villa and our structure can and is different to other teams.

I remember after his first appearance for us, I was very critical of him and rather too quick to judge him. I also recall someone on here reproaching me for my hastiness, and, tbf, they were absolutely right to do so. Also, I have to confess, he has proven me wrong with every game he's played since his first. There's an assurance about him now, which is his reciprocation for the trust and confidence that the manager has shown towards him.

He excelled against Forest, it's almost like Torres's ability is infectious, he even made Carlos look decent. Incidentally, for me, he gets in that defence before DC, even with a fit Konsa, he probably still deserves his place. Maybe the right foot sways it for Konsa, but, it's still refreshing to have that depth.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I remember after his first appearance for us, I was very critical of him and rather too quick to judge him. I also recall someone on here reproaching me for my hastiness, and, tbf, they were absolutely right to do so. Also, I have to confess, he has proven me wrong with every game he's played since his first. There's an assurance about him now, which is his reciprocation for the trust and confidence that the manager has shown towards him.

He excelled against Forest, it's almost like Torres's ability is infectious, he even made Carlos look decent. Incidentally, for me, he gets in that defence before DC, even with a fit Konsa, he probably still deserves his place. Maybe the right foot sways it for Konsa, but, it's still refreshing to have that depth.

Sorry but this is nonsense. He's nowhere near a fit Konsa's level. Konsa is one of the best centre-halves in the Premier League IMO, top 10 for sure. Lenglet doesn't come within throwing distance of that group, he's average enough and the revisionism here is a bit baffling just because he's the best of what we've been left with through a bizarrely long list of defensive injuries. 

He's been fine, nothing to crow about.

• Haha 1

Â