Clément Lenglet

Tom13

26 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Thought him and Pau worked well together yesterday, his lack of right foot is a bit nervy though. 

I noticed that he was using his right foot a couple of times yesterday.

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

If he keeps this up and would be willing to take a little bit of a pay cut, I think we should definitely be looking into it. 

The style of play seems to play to his relative strengths as a footballer and defender, as he's more technical than physical, but still a good defender in his own right. 

He's on almost £200k/w at Barca so it'll take more than a little pay cut. Even £100k/w for a guy who is 4th or 5th? choice when everyone is fit is a lot of money.

1 minute ago, sne said:

He's on almost £200k/w at Barca so it'll take more than a little pay cut. Even £100k/w for a guy who is 4th or 5th? choice when everyone is fit is a lot of money.

It is a lot, but that's the reality of the situation if we want quality players who we know are good enough. A lot of it will depend on whether we're CL next season tbf. 

2 hours ago, sne said:

He is playing at a very high level for us now. He would be a great addition to the squad. I suspect Barca will accept a very reduced fee as they are run by children, I don’t think wages will be an issue.

I did read somewhere that we have a Spanish CB/LB in our sights who is out of contract in the summer. I would think Digne will leave and this guy will come in. I think we will move on the Williams brothers too. Not sure on our finances but all of this plus buying back Archer does sound unrealistic unless there is a big departure which we are reassured won’t happen?

11 hours ago, lexicon said:

It is a lot, but that's the reality of the situation if we want quality players who we know are good enough. A lot of it will depend on whether we're CL next season tbf. 

I mean.  he's decent quality yes and he's doing a decent job for us.  but he's not 200k a week decent or even 100k a week.  

Has turned out to be a very useful and valuable loan in, it’s taken an unfortunate set of circumstances to see him here at all let alone in the first team regularly but we’d be in real trouble without him right now.

Has been very solid for us but I'd still have Mings in the team any day of the week, and that's effectively who he's filling in for here. 

• Like 1

He does have very good progressive pass stats. I believe they're even higher than Pau per 90 minutes. 

But what the stats don't tell you is that Pau completes his passes much quicker and after having drawn players to him or even gone round them to open up a better option. 

Lenglet plays it forward a lot, but either takes too long on the ball so the options for the receiving player are limited, and often it will be to a man that then has to pass it straight back.

This doesn't make him bad, and as a backup option i'd say its pretty exceptional, but overall hes quite a bit less effective than Pau. The stats suggest Lenglet's been better, but the reality is somewhat different.

• Thanks 1

Was very impressed with him Saturday, felt like he stepped up a lot second half at 3-2 when we were a little rocky and helped us re-assert our control over the game with the ball. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

I mean.  he's decent quality yes and he's doing a decent job for us.  but he's not 200k a week decent or even 100k a week.  

If he carries on this form, he's worth 100k a week in this market. It doesn't get you what it used to. 

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I disagree.

Surprised to know on what basis..

Carlos is error prone and lax. Lenglet seems to be the better all round player for me and his performances this season have been superior to Carlos’. 

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I feel safer with Lenglet at CB rather than Carlos

Be that as it may - you're entitled to your feelings - Carlos has a higher win percentage of games played than Lenglet.

Other factors involved but I would err towards results and facts over feelings personally.

I like both of them, but I rate Carlos higher generally.

• Like 1

Â