Clément Lenglet

Tom13

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Apparently refs have said the goal getting chalked off was a mistake

So evened itself out with carlos goal

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Can anyone explain how it wasn't offside?

The AZ defender cleared the initial header  off the line, which is a deliberate act so Bailey cannot be offside. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NeilS said:

The AZ defender cleared the initial header  off the line, which is a deliberate act so Bailey cannot be offside. 

i bet no media outlets make a remotely big deal of it like they have with "their fave teams", but if that moment had led to us losing, it could have really done us in.

those kind of mistakes are unacceptable when you can freeze-frame and slow-mo the play.

shocking tbh, its like the refs cant even see what is right in front of them even when the video is frozen or played at 10% speed.

madness.

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i bet no media outlets make a remotely big deal of it like they have with "their fave teams", but if that moment had led to us losing, it could have really done us in.

Exactly. Had it been Man City, they would still be talking about it tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Thought he was good on the ball last night and should of had his goal. 

But he may be the slowest football player I’ve even seen. 

Indeed. A high line with Carlos and this guy severely lacks pace.  Add to that the fact they're not as well practiced as our preferred choice and it will leave us more exposed in Europe.

Their goal came directly from him not being able to even run as fast as the striker who was running with the ball.

But he's a decent defender, can pick out a pass and had a goal incorrectly ruled out. Hopefully the more games he plays the better they get at playing together. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NeilS said:

Like I said in the other thread if the keeper saved it would it be classed as a deliberate act and still be offside? 

No

The defender hasn't deliberately played the ball

They've **** it big time, forget VAR the rules are terrible 

Edited by villa4europe

48 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Like I said in the other thread if the keeper saved it would it be classed as a deliberate act and still be offside? 

No

Well he has, he headed it off the line thus saving a goal. His header fell to our player so our player should not be offside. 

When Watkins headed the ball Bailey was in an offside position so as soon as as the ball rolled to him he came involved in the play right? I don’t get how it’s not offside ?

Its like if he was there to tap the goal in he would be offside too.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No

You are right, I had the same conversation with my Dad on the way out of the ground. By the letter of the law he is onside as in my opinion the defender makes a purposeful header, but the rule is broken as if the goalie saves it and it falls to him he would be classed as offside. They have tinkered so much with the rules over the years, that it makes no sense. It is so confusing, and there is always a scenario where the rule is a joke.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When Lenglat headed the ball Bailey was in an offside position so as soon as it’s came to him he came involved in the play right? I don’t get how it’s not offside ?

I dont know the rules either but I'd argue when Watkins heads the ball Bailey is not involved in the game. He becomes involved when their defender heads the ball to him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NeilS said:

You are right, I had the same conversation with my Dad on the way out of the ground. By the letter of the law he is onside as in my opinion the defender makes a purposeful header, but the rule is broken as if the goalie saves it and it falls to him he would be classed as offside. They have tinkered so much with the rules over the years, that it makes no sense. It is so confusing, and there is always a scenario where the rule is a joke.

Wait are we saying a player clearing off the line isn’t the same as a goalie making a save?

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wait are we saying a player clearing off the line isn’t the same as a goalie making a save?

I am saying it should be the same, and it is the same, but the rules have been put in place that a deliberate attempt to play the ball by the defender makes Bailey onside again. It is a stupid rule, because if the goalie saved it and falls to a player in an offside position for a tap in that should/would be ruled out. They have tinkered so much with offside rule to get it right, but there will always be a scenario where it is wrong.

• Like 2

Anyway, I thought Lenglet and Carlos looked a very decent partnership last night. We are well covered in that department for now.

My only concern was Lenglet caught out for the goal by the ball around the side of him, he has a warning a few minutes earlier which we got away with. I will cut him some slack though as he hasn’t played much, and even the best get caught out occasionally.

Â