Your best ever song

PussEKatt

We have a few threads with songs and the latest is "Songs that make you cry" How about your very best song ?

This thread should be full of really fantastic songs.Ill start with, "Unchained melody" by the Righteous brothers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not really possible to answer. I mean there's songs with great lyrics, songs with great playing, songs with great emotion or poignancy or which are linked with memories or...

But for the sake of answering, this never fails to hit the spot

• Like 1

Impossible to answer. 

This was on an old playlist I made, and I'd not listened to for ages, and I did declare that it would be in my top 5 favourite songs ever. That's about as much as you're gonna get of an answer at this point. 

• Like 1

On another day I might have gone with Cinema Show, but I think overall on balance right now I would go with this:

Edited by Lichfield Dean
Just realised there's a really weird edit on this version between Duke's Travels and Duke's End. It's not meant to sound like that! Ah well.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Easy peasy lemon squeezy 

This was like my personal anthem for a few years ... loved it so much. I got to interview Jarvis for an American magazine that was into British stuff back in the 1990s. Very fun and easy to talk to (I remember he was listening to John Barry in the background), but I think I'd find him insufferable these days, but I'm kind of annoying, too, so ... 

• Like 1

I don't joke and if I did it would be way better than that, I just thought of what could be my favorite song and thought of that, I've posted many versions on this forum as proof it really is my favorite song. If quesiton was what's favorite composition then would have been something different completely.

• Like 1

It's not impossible to answer, not at all. It's just unsatisfying to answer because it feels like I'm somehow losing all my second-place songs by declaring a first-place song lol. And, as others have said, it changes, too, almost daily. But what doesn't? 

All said, this has been my most enduring favourite for almost 30 years:

Edited by Marka Ragnos

This is either going to devolve into the What Song Are You Listening To Now? thread or slip quietly into obscurity. And everyone saying there's no definitive answer either personally or otherwise is of course correct.

That being said, if someone put a gun to my head, pain of death, threaten my family etc. for a single answer, I could actually give one...

(At the risk that hasn't embedded properly as I'm currently sat in the Faraday cage on wheels that is a South West Train, my answer was At The Drive-In's Arcarsenal)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

This is either going to devolve into the What Song Are You Listening To Now? thread or slip quietly into obscurity. And everyone saying there's no definitive answer either personally or otherwise is of course correct.

That being said, if someone put a gun to my head, pain of death, threaten my family etc. for a single answer, I could actually give one...

(At the risk that hasn't embedded properly as I'm currently sat in the Faraday cage on wheels that is a South West Train, my answer was At The Drive-In's Arcarsenal)

I want to see the graphic novel set in that  universe: “Name your favorite song ever, or your family parishes!” 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

I don't joke and if I did it would be way better than that, I just thought of what could be my favorite song and thought of that, I've posted many versions on this forum as proof it really is my favorite song. If quesiton was what's favorite composition then would have been something different completely.

Oh, I have to say, that’s just … the best. It’s a brilliant song by two brilliant artists. The lyrics are more concrete and precise than ten years’ worth of many other songwriter’s works. 

11 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This was like my personal anthem for a few years ... loved it so much. I got to interview Jarvis for an American magazine that was into British stuff back in the 1990s. Very fun and easy to talk to (I remember he was listening to John Barry in the background), but I think I'd find him insufferable these days, but I'm kind of annoying, too, so ... 

My mate was is friends with Steve Mackey's former wife. I didn't know this until he just dropped into a conversation that he'd once been on a pub crawl round london with Jarvis Cocker which included a pub quiz.  Jarvis is a good quizzer. 

He seems to think Jarvis is a nice guy too. 

• Like 1

Â