Marcos Acuña

wishywashy

5 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Acuña is definitely a back-up, he’s nowhere near good enough to be a regular starter, and should certainly not be considered for a LM spot.

Don’t be fooled by the medals, he’s got into those teams through a mixture of good fortune and the fact that he’s a grafter - which I’ll give him, is a good quality, but he’s just not at the technical level of the other signings we’ve made so far this summer.

All that said, I’m not a massive fan of Digne’s either, so if swapping one back-up for another allows us more funds to use elsewhere then I’m all for it.

Far better technically than you would imagine actually.  Composed passing. Composed when trying to get past a high press. Not the quickest but in a good way ie he can still beat a man with ease. Will be enjoyable watching him thats for sure if he comes 

I like the versatility of it in terms of he suits playing the offensive left back role like Moreno has, but equally he could probably do a good job of playing the wide midfielder role in front of the wide CB. For example in pre-season when Konsa/Chambers played as the more defensive full back tucking into CB, Philogene did a good job of playing in front and holding the width in attack and essentially becoming a wing back in defence. Acuna could do that on the other flank in front of Torres were that to be tried again.

I had a good bit of money on Argentina at last world cup, so kept a keen eye on them when they played.  He definitely was the weak point in comparison to others.  He was steady but won’t be this brilliant player for us.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Far better technically than you would imagine actually.  Composed passing. Composed when trying to get past a high press. Not the quickest but in a good way ie he can still beat a man with ease. Will be enjoyable watching him thats for sure if he comes 

It’s good to hear you have that opinion of him, and I hold my hands up to the fact that I’ve only watched a relatively small number of his games for club and country.

That said, in the games I have watched him play, he stood out as one of the poorer players. In the World Cup I thought he was by far Argentina’s weakest link, often failing in one-on-one situations and his crossing was comical at times. However those are skills which Unai probably won’t want to utilise from him much anyway, so like I say, as a cheaper option to Digne, I’m not against signing him, just not very excited by it.

11 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Don't say that out loud! Some on here will want to replace him since he isn't a "proper" full back, just like they moan about with Cash.

Wonder if they did that with Jordi Alba and Roberto Carlos….

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Worth noting that he only has one year left on his contract.

Sure someone else did it was July 2025 it expired. So probably why they want me then €5m

Edited by MrBlack

Not for me.

Solid but absolute liability due to his temperament. Nothing against having a s*ithouse in the team but this guy is another level.

Four red cards last season in all comps. Three red cards in under 2000 La Liga minutes last season and it's not as if these were mistimed challenges like Konsa that one year, was stupidity/petulance/over-aggression.

Also limited on the ball. Personally usually positive about signings, but don't really see the upside here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Not for me.

Solid but absolute liability due to his temperament. Nothing against having a s*ithouse in the team but this guy is another level.

Four red cards last season in all comps. Three red cards in under 2000 La Liga minutes last season and it's not as if these were mistimed challenges like Konsa that one year, was stupidity/petulance/over-aggression.

Also limited on the ball. Personally usually positive about signings, but don't really see the upside here.

You need a degree of tenacity and aggression in the side. We've lost a ton of that with Buendia and Mings out for the season, and Ramsey out too meant we were soft as shit against Newcastle. 

Â