Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, allani said:

I think it depends on how Emery wants to play him. 

My view (and maybe @romavillan will have a view on this?) is that Roma tended to play him as a more advanced player looking to join the forwards and attack the defence.  So it's hard to tell how good his passing and ball retention are because that's not really the way that he was being played.  I mean the lad can absolutely spot and deliver a pass - he's much, much more aware of the players around and in front of him than Ollie (not that that is difficult) even when he's making similar runs / driving forward with the ball to Ollie.  So Ollie and Diaby will enjoy that - as will the likes of Ramsey and Luiz.  It can be hard to tell sometimes whether players passing / ball retention determines how they are used or whether the way they are used determines their stats (For the Love of Paul McGrath covered this point really well in their intro to Zaniolo - and in general I feel).  I think he could play deeper but I do think that his pace and strength are better suited to the 10 role.

The return of Ramsey will be interesting - but I think we've got 3 really strong attacking players there (Diaby, Zaniolo and Ramsey) who all have different strengths but that you can play any of them supporting Ollie and give us a real threat.  My feeling is that all three are probably better when playing narrower (i.e. they are corner of the box type players rather than touchline type players) so the width will need to come from further back - be that Moreno, McGinn or whoever.

For Roma,  he'd shown he could play off a striker really well, picking up the ball and attacking space, making chances and scoring, so that would fit in with the Emery second striker position. He also showed he could play the Totti role, so central of 3 trequartistas/AMs, playing deeper than second striker as a proper 10. He's got everything you'd want as a 10 for my money, so alongside the fast dribbling, ability to beat a defender etc. in the second striker role when he's deeper he has really good control and vision and is a really very good passer of the ball. He also played on the right of the 3, as an inverted winger, and he looked good there too.

I don't know where Emery wants to play him, I'd say 10 is his best position, then we could play Diaby as the second striker, JJ when fit on the left. Gives us a pretty good attack all of a sudden. Emery's mentioned his versatility so maybe we'll see him play all 3 roles depending on who else is fit, opponents etc.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

It seems listening to Neil dunworths Italian guest…..Zaniolo could be a major signing.

His attributes will be a huge welcome to our squad…He was once billed as one of Italy’s brightest talents…,.if we can manage and respect his knees, like we did with Macca….he could be really special.

This could go one way or the other, but I am looking positively and I think his diversity to our squad will be will be hugely welcome.

Nic could be a real Filip to our other players and add to the overall belief.

If, and it is a big if, he plays to his potential with us and we get the best out of him. This signing would be like when Bergkamp signed for Arsenal.

• Like 2

Italian press pretty much saying for a couple of days this is a done deal, gazzetta online yesterday saying appointment with the club today (16th).

Is the plane info as reliable as our old friend the trees?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Italian press pretty much saying for a couple of days this is a done deal, gazzetta online yesterday saying appointment with the club today (16th).

With the plane stuff, it's objective info that a private jet took off from Istanbul bound for Birmingham and is trackable on Flightradar24 - it's up to us to fill in the blanks! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

The plane info is entirely reliable I can assure you Latest ETA 3.30pm

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

With the plane stuff, it's objective info that a private jet took off from Istanbul bound for Birmingham and is trackable on Flightradar24 - it's up to us to fill in the blanks! 

The media are saying the medical is today so it lines up nicely. 

15 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Yes, right now passing over Frankfurt heading towards Koln (Cologne).

Find it odd that we utilise Private Jets so much. From an environmental perspective its not ideal. There's a Turkish Airlines flight landing within 30 mins of the Private Jet. 

• Like 1

Â