Christmas 2023

sidcow

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He lost his job ‘cos everyone sat in the house ordering goose fat and the bus network withered and died and the shops closed so there was no income for the local authority because the amazon depot was an offshore facility serviced by drones where the staff that used to be pickers were now redundant, sat in rented flats they couldn’t afford, playing video games they don’t own whilst listening to AI generated musac that they lease that tells droning metallic tales of dystopians lives in pods where we all aspire to a more hi tech commode.

I can't even say well they are a big employer locally as they are closing the Rugeley depot. Still Rugeleys loss is the green belt at Minworths gain.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

There’s certainly a weird pressure selling of amazon vibe.

It’s like a consumer conformity update on Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

The consumerist dystopia was being predicted back in the 1960s and I have always liked J G Ballard's story, The Subliminal Man.

There was also a very funny play on TV about a society where robots did all the work, and every citizen was given an allocation of stuff they were required by law to consume.

One character was prosecuted for failing to consume his allocation of baked beans, and his punishment was to have his allocation massively increased.

The centre of the plot was that some guy had reprogrammed his household robots to help him consume his allocation, by wearing out his furniture.

It can't be too far off, can it?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

There’s certainly a weird pressure selling of amazon vibe

Just challenging the incorrect perception that Amazon only sells plastic disposable shite appealing to people bored at midnight.

They sell everything, often cheaply. I can understand why people choose to go elsewhere though, particularly with their lack of tax payments and killing off of high street competitors.

If I wasn’t working from home most of the time I’d probably use them less than I do.

Also, I was offering some consumer advice that if someone in the household has a prime membership already another person can have the perks of it also without having to pay again.

Edited by Genie

Because our kid's nursery flooded about 5 weeks ago and doesn't reopen until the new year, I get Christmas day off, and that's it. Burned through the rest of my annual leave, I was saving 2 weeks for Christmas :( 

At least we're the late kick off on boxing day.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Also, I was offering some consumer advice that if someone in the household has a prime membership already another person can have the perks of it also without having to pay again.

There's also way more of them than most people realise

We all know about the free shipping, and the streaming service. Then there's the stripped back music service (not as good as their paid offering/.Spotify, but pretty damn good for a bonus "free" offering, including ad-free podcasts), loads of free ebooks, free high quality photo storage, free PC games each month, then some other stuff I barely use like a free year of Deliveroo, some extra early release Kindle books each month, etc.

It's annoyingly good value, but I feel a bit grubby for using it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I personally go for about 1-1.5cm of oil, as I tend to check them and turn them every half hour or so. If you do as mjmooney suggests and only turn them once, you will probably want it a bit deeper.

The idea of bashing them around a bit is to rough up the edges, give more surface area for the oil and you'll get a crunchier layer, works really well, not necessary if you do it the way I posted (as bashing them around too much will have you ending up with mashed potato, you want to handle them with kid gloves when pulling them out of the water if you follow the method I posted).

No fire risk to worry about with the oil heating up on its own, as long as you use the right oil. The flashpoint of sunflower oil, duck fat, etc, is above the temperature you'll be cooking at, it's not going to spontaneously combust. You want to be bloody careful getting the tray out of the oven though, use a deep one if possible, and when you're dropping things into hot oil always drop them away from you so the oil splashes the other way.

This is super helpful -- thank you.

I own a deep cast-iron skillet that should work perfectly for this, bigger than the one pictured. It's funny how there are certain things seen everywhere in Britain that aren't at all common here in usa. I don't see too many heavy roasting pans for sale, for example, nor do I know an easy way to get duck or goose fat except for cooking a duck. Cast iron skillets are old-school-revival commonplace, even kind of trendy among older hipsters. Thanks again!

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

First Christmas with the little one. It'll be magical they said. Whimsical they said. 

Well he's been ill for 4 days, vomit, cough, mucus, shit everywhere. He's got 3 days to get match fit or he's out the family.

Time of year, innit? 

I've just got over a sharting stomach bug, one of the daughters and two of the grandkids currently down with feverish viruses. Late fitness tests before Monday. 

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

First Christmas with the little one. It'll be magical they said. Whimsical they said. 

Well he's been ill for 4 days, vomit, cough, mucus, shit everywhere. He's got 3 days to get match fit or he's out the family.

The “babies first Christmas” is the biggest load of bollocks, they have no idea what’s going on at all. 
Don’t worry mate, give it 2 or 3 years and you’ll have some amazing Christmas memories with the little one

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I can understand why people choose to go elsewhere though, particularly with their lack of tax payments and killing off of high street competitors.

I actively try to avoid buying off Amazon where I can but honestly sometimes it's genuinely the only place you can buy certain stuff or the price difference is just too big to ignore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Only about an hour of working in 2023 for me, then 11 days off 😎 

Same. I'm technically on holiday now but I've got to log on and do a few bits and bobs which just weren't possible yesterday as I was waiting for some stuff to come in. 

I'll log on when I decide to get up tomorrow, finish that shit then put the laptop and screens away out of sight till new year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Hang in. My "first Christmas" with a kid was literally spent in infant hospital. Awful memories. It gets easier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Took my daughter to meet Santa for the first time today. Probably a year too early. As soon as we saw him she burst into tears and wouldn't leave my side. The magic of Christmas waits until next year 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Took my daughter to meet Santa for the first time today. Probably a year too early. As soon as we saw him she burst into tears and wouldn't leave my side. The magic of Christmas waits until next year 

Yep. Christ only knows how they got them to actually sit on his lap in the olden days. 

Speaking of which, what year did that become illegal or was it a gradual change?