Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

On 15/05/2024 at 14:27, VillanousOne said:

people always focus on the negatives, amongst the poor performances where he has been ineffectual have been really top drawer performances where he has been quality.

I remember the bizarre argument around El Ghazi and even Trez where somehow goals and assists weren't enough from a winger/fwd- (and yes I think Diaby is levels above them) but the fact is if a player does nothing for 89 minutes, but scores a goal or gets a vital assist in that one minute does it matter? If he costs us possession and we lose because he is crap those 89 minutes, then yes a good point to say we need better.

But the fact is, he gets subbed if he is poor, and even when he is poor he is still tidy and works hard. Usually he creates chances.

I know he is frustrating and can get bullied out of games, but he can also be sublime and has all the attributes to be the player we think he can, coming to a new league and get heavily marked and press takes any players time to adjust to. He's not Bailey Mk 2 he's just a player that needs time to adjust to the best league in the world.

'pah he can only score goals and create chances, he's sh*t'

I get your point, but negatives, presented constructively are important references, to show improvement.

Unai will address the so called negatives, that's what he does, to improve players.....and he has improved, all of ours.

your point, about does nothing for 90 minutes etc.........The very top teams, work feverishly for 90 minutes, watch Man City, constantly working the ball, to gain openings and space. You can't just rely on "moments" when you are the top.

If a player, scores a goal, but does nothing for duration of the game, it does matter....because that kind of play is not sustainable, for ambitious teams.

We are WIP....so players will have good bits and not so good bits to their games. The objective is to progress to a point, where they more consistent, and we will recruit, better quality too, to gain that consistency.

Currently, We can beat anyone, but can equally, get beat by anyone.....we have to become harder to beat, and consistency, will improve....that does not mean parking the bus, or deploying more players to defence. We have to become harder to beat in the confines of our attacking style.

Moussa, is still acclimatising to us and our way.... I think he will be the player we want him to be.

• Like 1

With Martinez confirmed as going to Olympics, Diaby is the only realistic player that I could see going  to the Olympics team with France after missing Euros. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, TRO said:

I get your point, but negatives, presented constructively are important references, to show improvement.

Unai will address the so called negatives, that's what he does, to improve players.....and he has improved, all of ours.

your point, about does nothing for 90 minutes etc.........The very top teams, work feverishly for 90 minutes, watch Man City, constantly working the ball, to gain openings and space. You can't just rely on "moments" when you are the top.

If a player, scores a goal, but does nothing for duration of the game, it does matter....because that kind of play is not sustainable, for ambitious teams.

We are WIP....so players will have good bits and not so good bits to their games. The objective is to progress to a point, where they more consistent, and we will recruit, better quality too, to gain that consistency.

Currently, We can beat anyone, but can equally, get beat by anyone.....we have to become harder to beat, and consistency, will improve....that does not mean parking the bus, or deploying more players to defence. We have to become harder to beat in the confines of our attacking style.

Moussa, is still acclimatising to us and our way.... I think he will be the player we want him to be.

I agree with some of what you are saying, but I don't think Diaby is ever not working the ball to gain openings and space. But he does sometimes struggle with the physical side and decision making, sometimes I don't think we play to his strengths always and sometimes positionally I am unsure of where he is playing, but that is more about him adjusting to our system and what Unai wants.

Criticisms used to get thrown at Buendia because he would try a lot of things, get frustrated and get remembered by some for the things that didn't work, but for me personally i'd rather a player was in the game trying things than letting it pass them by.

but also by example Haaland for City trots around the pitch doing nothing for entire games, he doesn't track back and often doesn't close down, but is lethal in the box or with the ball in front of him. He does defend corners, but compared to Ollie he can literally watch 80 mins of game go by doing sod all. But no one complains about that, they only care he scores goals.

Matt Le Tissier used to do literally walk around the pitch doing nothing, but then score a 35 yard screamer (yeah I get the game was different then).

I don't see the difference between a player coming on and scoring a goal in a 10 minute cameo from the bench, or a player scoring after 80 minutes having done little in the previous time on the pitch.

Obviously I am talking about wingers and strikers, not midfielders and defenders who do need to play a vital role for the full 90. 

But as I said before Diaby is decent at tracking back and working hard (mostly). Sometimes misplaced passes can be costly when we lack the solid structure we had when Kamara was available and weren't constantly rotating players due to injury. Just an opinion though.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

didnt make France's Euro squad.

Good for us. He will be motivated, rested and raring to go next season 👍🏻

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

didnt make France's Euro squad.

And just like the World Cup, we have no Villa players in the French squad. Digne didn't make it either and Kamara is of course injured.

Don't think Diaby has had a great first season with us but I think he's unlucky, Deschamps only named a 25 man squad when he could have taken 26 (tat extra spot could have gone to Diaby).

He's picked an uncapped Barcola and Kolo Muani who has never impressed me that much and has had a worse season than Diaby..

I also think Olise should have been in the squad. I have no idea why Kante has been brought back, he's 33 and playing in Saudi and nowhere near the player he was.

Probably had a 7/10 season for me. Not convinced you can play him and Bailey in the same team but hopefully with less injuries next year we won’t need to. Being able to rotate between both of them depending on opponent and form is great and what a top team needs. 

14 hours ago, Alakagom said:

With Martinez confirmed as going to Olympics, Diaby is the only realistic player that I could see going  to the Olympics team with France after missing Euros. 

So he'll be playing in the Copa America then the Olympics as well? Jeez.

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

So he'll be playing in the Copa America then the Olympics as well? Jeez.

It was part of the deal if we qualified for CL, he will miss entire pre-season and possible first PL game it was reported. Anything to make Emi happy though, we know how he values national team and his success for Argentina is likely big factor why he's happy at the club level to stay with us. 

2 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

It was part of the deal if we qualified for CL, he will miss entire pre-season and possible first PL game it was reported. Anything to make Emi happy though, we know how he values national team and his success for Argentina is likely big factor why he's happy at the club level to stay with us. 

Oh yeah just thinking he's not really gonna have much of a break, mentally or physically.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

@Alakagom what do you mean though part of the deal if we qualified for CL? How does us qualifying for CL affect him playing in the Olympics?

It was reported in Argentina media recently. 

According to DSports Radio journalist Fernando Czyz, the stopper has a deal in place with Aston Villa that can allow him to represent the Argentina U23 side. As per the agreement between Martínez and Aston Villa’s board, he will be allowed to take part in the Olympic Games if the Villans qualified for the Champions League.

Edited by Alakagom
  • Thanks 1

He frustrates the shite out of me every game, but I think part of the frustration is because of the evident quality he has.

His biggest problem has been decision making. And that may be down to low confidence. Let's hope he gets his head right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I reckon he’ll be our player of the year next year. He’s settled in nicely.

Wouldn't surprise me at all, he never hides and that's an attribute of a top player. Even when things aren't happening for him, he continues to want the ball.

• Like 1

The quality is definitely there. He just seems to be a real comfidence player who sometimes doesn't habe the belief to take a player on or shoot at goal.

I rate him though,.and think he will keep improving under Unai.

The run he did for Duran is quality, if he can do more of that, then he’ll justify his price. I think we didn’t have the chance to accommodate him, wether because we didn’t have players available or not being able to try new approaches because of how tough and importance of each game.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2024 at 00:13, VillanousOne said:

I agree with some of what you are saying, but I don't think Diaby is ever not working the ball to gain openings and space. But he does sometimes struggle with the physical side and decision making, sometimes I don't think we play to his strengths always and sometimes positionally I am unsure of where he is playing, but that is more about him adjusting to our system and what Unai wants.

Criticisms used to get thrown at Buendia because he would try a lot of things, get frustrated and get remembered by some for the things that didn't work, but for me personally i'd rather a player was in the game trying things than letting it pass them by.

but also by example Haaland for City trots around the pitch doing nothing for entire games, he doesn't track back and often doesn't close down, but is lethal in the box or with the ball in front of him. He does defend corners, but compared to Ollie he can literally watch 80 mins of game go by doing sod all. But no one complains about that, they only care he scores goals.

Matt Le Tissier used to do literally walk around the pitch doing nothing, but then score a 35 yard screamer (yeah I get the game was different then).

I don't see the difference between a player coming on and scoring a goal in a 10 minute cameo from the bench, or a player scoring after 80 minutes having done little in the previous time on the pitch.

Obviously I am talking about wingers and strikers, not midfielders and defenders who do need to play a vital role for the full 90. 

But as I said before Diaby is decent at tracking back and working hard (mostly). Sometimes misplaced passes can be costly when we lack the solid structure we had when Kamara was available and weren't constantly rotating players due to injury. Just an opinion though.

I agree, it's why there are no hard and fast rules, alternatives always exist, in football.

For me, Kamara missing is a huge issue (and a related one to Moussa Diaby IMO)....and we can't rely on one, ( who has a long term injury) and I hope its a priority for us in the closed season.

Â