Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

TBF to the orignal poster it does seem that way. Bailey, Chuk, Wesley it seems to be that their body language is always they're not interested or can't be bothered. 

Mcginn and Zaniolo have been heavily criticised but it seems to be more on how they play rather than attitude.

Nah. Zaniolo’s attitude and manner is under the microscope all the time. Chambers copped a load of flak in our last game for looking lazy and uninterested. Olsen is continually being lambasted for looking nervous. Grealish was accused of being moody and petulant, etc. Its not just black players.

Also, the lazy / moody / disinterested accusation is usually aimed at attacking players, and almost all of our current attacking players are black. That probably skews the numbers more than anything else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Nah. Zaniolo’s attitude and manner is under the microscope all the time. Chambers copped a load of flak in our last game for looking lazy and uninterested. Olsen is continually being lambasted for looking nervous. Grealish was accused of being moody and petulant, etc. Its not just black players.

Also, the lazy / moody / disinterested accusation is usually aimed at attacking players, and almost all of our current attacking players are black. That probably skews the numbers more than anything else.

I actually think Zaniolos attitude is quite good. He’s just sh*t.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

He is not at his best, right now, but I have confidence, he will come good.

I don't want to speculate, but he looks a bit homesick to me, that bit of melancholy in his game.

I am sure UE will be on it.

He's hardly been at home during his career so far. He was in Italy for a year and at Leverkusen for 4 years so I doubt very much he's homesick. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Anyway, I’m sure Diaby will come good again. Players sometimes blow hot and cold and he’s already shown enough in his time here that we know he can perform at the highest level. We just need to be patient.

3 goals and 5 assists(FPL has him on 7 though 3 are for own goals. I get 2 but not the 3rd for Fulham OG which he barely touched) in the league in 1000 odd minutes is pretty decent

Edited by Kiwivillan

4 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

I have no intention of apologizing for highlighting what to me are very clear tropes that are regularly subconsciously attributed to black players and not other players. This isn’t specific to the poster in question or villa fans anymore than any other fan base.

As a person of colour maybe it’s just more obvious to me but there’s a significantly deeper level of questioning re body language, effort, investment, heart, desire, perceived mental state etc when it comes to black players when compared to others. The Duran thread was full of this after the social media incident that was blown out of all proportion. 

I don’t wish to derail this thread so won’t comment on this further but to say Diaby has only been left out recently because Bailey has been on fire and he’s adjusting to that reality. That’s it. Diaby hasn’t played particularly poorly. We’re just very lucky we now have strength in depth in certain positions where even putting in 7/10 performances are not going to guarantee players a spot in the first XI. He’ll get an opportunity to get his shirt back sooner or later and now knows he’s going to have to take it. 

Get a f**king grip and enjoy the ride! It’s actually a nice time follow to villa! Screw politics! 

It's one hell of an assumption/link/whatever you want to call it to make. And I'd be fuming if someone linked it to a post of mine.

Many players have what you may class as questionable body language, Dendoncker is another one at times, but it's almost always just the way they are/are coming across, doesn't mean they're actually lacking effort or having attitude. It's hard to get to PL level without being arsed.

FWIW I haven't questioned Diaby so far. He's a clever player and gets frustrated when people aren't quite on his wavelength.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Emery seems to know when to take a player out of the firing line and give him a break and work on some things in training and then reintroduce the player a few weeks down the track.

A trait a certain Manchester United manager had during his reign of 13 premier league titles.

• Like 1

On 15/12/2023 at 11:38, MWARLEY2 said:

He isnt happy with his form, not with Aston Villa in my opinion. He is finding the same issues as Bailey did when he first came. He had acres of space in Germany. He doesnt get that in the Prem. Thats on Emery to solve which i am 100 % convinced he will. 5 months into a 5 year contract. Plenty of time for our star signing to come good. 

Yep what we've done really well this season (except vs Newcastle) for Bailey is essentially get him 1 v 1s vs defenders. Where he can just use his pace to knock it past then and run on to it (which he couldn't if there was a 2nd defender) or beat them inside with skill. Similarly diaby is struggling because he needs to beat 2 men. Also he seems low on confidence with his shot. He's had quite a few opportunities where he probably could have got a shot off and worked the keeper but instead over played it trying to pass it to Watkins or whatever. 

57 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yep what we've done really well this season (except vs Newcastle) for Bailey is essentially get him 1 v 1s vs defenders. Where he can just use his pace to knock it past then and run on to it (which he couldn't if there was a 2nd defender) or beat them inside with skill. Similarly diaby is struggling because he needs to beat 2 men. Also he seems low on confidence with his shot. He's had quite a few opportunities where he probably could have got a shot off and worked the keeper but instead over played it trying to pass it to Watkins or whatever. 

Diaby struggles enough to beat one man, forget about two. Dribbling just isn't his game.

16 minutes ago, Tom13 said:
1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It seemed to be in Germany though. 

Ooh really, tbh I didn't watch a single minute of him in Germany so that's interesting.

To be fair the same was said about Bailey last season but he’s done it well this season.  Maybe it’s just settling into a higher quality league and we’ll get more of it next season meanwhile what Diaby has provided us this season has been brilliant and we know there is more to come.  Can’t wait for the Bailey and Diaby show when they really click together and be on the pitch together.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

To be fair the same was said about Bailey last season but he’s done it well this season.  Maybe it’s just settling into a higher quality league and we’ll get more of it next season meanwhile what Diaby has provided us this season has been brilliant and we know there is more to come.  Can’t wait for the Bailey and Diaby show when they really click together and be on the pitch together.

Bailey's always been a tricky player though in my mind.

Just now, Tom13 said:

Bailey's always been a tricky player though in my mind.

Yeah but struggled to beat players last season.  It’s one of the things so many fans mentioned about him but that’s changed this season.

On 16/12/2023 at 01:31, DakotaVilla said:

I have no intention of apologizing for highlighting what to me are very clear tropes that are regularly subconsciously attributed to black players and not other players. This isn’t specific to the poster in question or villa fans anymore than any other fan base.

As a person of colour maybe it’s just more obvious to me but there’s a significantly deeper level of questioning re body language, effort, investment, heart, desire, perceived mental state etc when it comes to black players when compared to others. The Duran thread was full of this after the social media incident that was blown out of all proportion. 

I don’t wish to derail this thread so won’t comment on this further but to say Diaby has only been left out recently because Bailey has been on fire and he’s adjusting to that reality. That’s it. Diaby hasn’t played particularly poorly. We’re just very lucky we now have strength in depth in certain positions where even putting in 7/10 performances are not going to guarantee players a spot in the first XI. He’ll get an opportunity to get his shirt back sooner or later and now knows he’s going to have to take it. 

I don't want to labour this point either, and I might remind you, we have a good proportion of black players in out team...all revered by the fan base....quite frankly it wouldn't bother me if the same colour, Black, white, Yellow featured in the 11....I only see Claret and Blue shirts.

The Premier League as a whole, has a large representation of Black Players in its ranks too, my response is, so what....They are just players to me.

I cannot speak for all, but just to say, I disagree with your intimation, that black players are targetted, and not others for performance issues, by the majority of folk.....My take is, players are targetted for performance issues, due to their perfromances, rightly or wrongly, and that in itself is opinions.

Moussa, right now, is not showing us his best game, and I am not sure why.....But I will stay with him, because, I believe he will show his true levels, in due course....some folk are entitled to a different view.

I must remind you, there are folk from every denomination of race on earth, who have selected views of others.....They are the minority, not the majority.

19 hours ago, nick76 said:

Both are highly talented players, and to play consistently at the required level of guile, is difficult against top level defenders.

The team has to be like "clock work" in terms of timing and decision making for their work to be fully appreciated....These type of players ( of all denominations) are often accused of inconsistency, such is the "highly strung" nature of their game.

These guys are the " can openers" that open up defences, and there is rake of opposing players trying to stop them....its inevitable inconsistencies will exist, in them.

However, we all know, in honesty, Moussa can do better, and thats all the issue is as far as I can see......let him settle in and play his way back in to form as Leon has done....to me right now, Leon is our biggest threat to the opposing team, thats how much he has turned his game around.....Moussa can do the same.

Â