Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

Saw The Guardian suggest he was "previously skeptical" about joining Villa.

I mean, I get it, but with Torres also not looking too enthused, why do we think that is? Weather, club stature, location? Leverkusen is hardly anywhere to right home about I must say.

15 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I mean, I get it, but with Torres also not looking too enthused, why do we think that is? Weather, club stature, location? Leverkusen is hardly anywhere to right home about I must say.

Because, whether we like it or not, Villa are still not an established European side yet. It was just 2 years ago that we finally escaped "relegation candidate" and made it into mid table tier. Now, those who look closer and see the work Emery has done, sees the direction of the team, I think those thoughts can be overcome (like it was for Torres and Diaby, seemingly). But to the outside world, Villa were lucky to get ECL and would do well to repeat that season and that doesn't always appeal to the type of player Emery, Monchi, and NSWE are aiming for at to bring to Villa.

Edit: basically exactly what @Jas10 said but much better than I could explain it.

Edited by OhioVilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I mean, that is true. We tried to sign him when Grealish left and got rejected. He clearly isn't skeptical anymore.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2022/moussa-diaby-leverkusen-exit-likely-aston-villa-made-unsuccessful-contact/

As reported by Foot Mercato, French international attacker Moussa Diaby’s departure from Bayer Leverkusen is becoming increasingly likely ahead of the summer transfer window.

Having moved to the Bundesliga from PSG in 2019, Diaby’s stock has risen markedly in contributing 30 goals and 33 assists across 109 games for Bayer over all competitions, according to Flashscore.com, since his £13.5m move.

Premier League club Aston Villa contacted Leverkusen last summer over a possible deal following the exit of Jack Grealish for Manchester City but the Frenchman is looking for a competitive Champions League club, preferably one in England or Spain.

With the 22-year-old’s contract up in 2025 and no release clause inserted, the German club can expect a sizeable return should they allow the player to leave this summer.

Edited by wishywashy
Forgot to quote the link. Close one.

21 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

See no reason to believe them but… we can’t be too sensitive and annoyed by stuff like this.

I see/read people getting really worked up and angry about this sort of thing and it doesn’t make sense to me.

If you’re going for a higher calibre of player, they are going to need some convincing (especially because we’re not classed as an “elite club” or in “elite competition” at this moment time”)… the fact that we can convince and persuade them by demonstrating our ambition, ideas, vision, project etc. and the fact that we do have an elite manager (who can do this himself, get into a conversation or meeting with the player), is very encouraging…

If we only went for players that were “dying to play for the Villa” then we wouldn’t end up with a very strong team.. we’d have to target a lower end of the market too..

Once we get them in, they’ll be won over and convinced even more. It’s easy to judge from afar, but you have to be in an environment and experience it yourself to see how positive and promising it actually is…

Why the assumption that a “top class player” is automatically going to be demotivated and unhappy if he joins us? I think it’s nonsense tbh…

I’m just commenting on a lot of stuff I’ve seen and read, not your specific comment. You just reminded me…

Although, I see nothing to suggest Pau is not enthused. I’ve seen him look quite happy and joyful in some photos and videos too. I think it’s a wild assumption, he’ll be fine.

Excellent comment.

The Pau take was purely based on his facial expressions tbh. Complete speculation on my part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s objectively funny seeing some West Ham fans trying to start beef and rivalries on Twitter over this deal. We don’t care nor think about you. 

Same goes for Wolves 🙄 in general…

At least Leeds have gone 🤣

14 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s objectively funny seeing some West Ham fans trying to start beef and rivalries on Twitter over this deal. We don’t care nor think about you. 

West Ham play long direct counter attacks and when they try to move away and play possession football they become shit. They keep Moyes and they're an irrelevance 

The signings they're making this summer as peak West Ham. They were never in running for the players we're bringing in

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

He speaks very well and obviously knows his stuff.

However here and on his Sky Sports appearance yesterday he seemed very keen to emphasis that (in his mind) Diaby has signed to play in the Premier league  and any team in the top half PL could have got him because they all have the money.

He thinks the rise of the Premier league will be a bad thing for European Football overall and mentioned us alongside Burnley and Bournemouth when discussing this.

Maybe it shouldn't have got under my skin.......but it did!

But as someone earlier said. It was OK when nothing teams like Bari were absolutely smashing UK transfer records for our best players. Those days were absolutely fine and dandy. 

Just now, Paddywhack said:

I’ve been pronouncing it ‘Dee-ARR-bee’, whereas European journalists and commentators pronounce it ‘Dear-BEE’ or ‘Dee-Abby’.

I’m going to call him Moussa.. 🤷‍♂️

MOO-sah or MOW-sah or Muh-OO-ssa ?

• Sad 1

Â