Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The round badge looks excellent on merchandise. Bought a water bottle and a key ring for my daughter. I love it.  I want to buy everything with the badge on it before it’s gone. 

Agree. Partner got me a t-shirt with the round badge and it is gorgeous 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Can’t understand why anyone with half a brain would think sticking with yellow on light blue would make sense or work…

"Trust the experts", apparently.  I kinda get the sense that those who moan about the roundel are also those who moan about claret shorts

With so many both emotive and rational comments, here's the thing - so much of design is opinion, but there are rules and best practise. 

With our badge, the more subjective things include: which way the lion faces; whether it's AVFC or Aston Villa; whether it should say 'football club', or nothing at all; whether it should have a star and/or 1874; if it should be a circle, crest or other shape; (although I believe there's a strong rationale for not being a circle in terms of brand identity and competitors, but that's essentially still opinion). These are the type of things people believe are right or wrong, sh*t or brilliant, or one thing better than something else. 

More objective, best practice things include the colour way needing to have contrast to be scalable (unless you have a rare type of colour blindness); the composition being balanced (unless it's edgy/disruptive/controversial design which I think we'd agree this isn't about); being authentic for its audience, practical in how it will be produced, and made for the long-term. 

I think what's been leaked has the basic elements to work, if the colours and composition were sorted (and in my opinion, used the newer lion). Don't particularly like it, but it could at least work. As other fine folk on here have demonstrated.

Not an expert on the trademark side but I believe you can just TM the elements, so am clinging to the hope it can be sorted.

OR that it's completely fake, in which case I may as well have been out badger watching or some such, instead of writing this.

Now shutting up about the whole thing and waiting to see what happens, through squinty eyes...

Edited by Muller Yogurt Long Sleever
wording
  • Like 4

To be honest I'd rather us pull a Juve and do something new, than look amateur to the world. Their rebrand a few years back was controversial but was at least ownable and well-made as a body of identity work.

(Ideally just a **** well-designed Aston Villa lion rampant badge with a little something something to stand us apart though please.)

That's it now. High horse is knackered.

• Like 3

Our 150th anniversary is imminent. We are the original establishment club. Our history permeates through every part of Villa Park. 

Our crest/brand should be modern but it should just ooze class, elegance and quality. 

I’m not saying that the attached crest someone did online is perfect as for me it’s too busy outside of the circle but the class, elegance and quality that it conveys is in a different universe to what has been leaked. 

IMG_8149.jpeg

Edited by DakotaVilla
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

To be honest I'd rather us pull a Juve and do something new, than look amateur to the world. Their rebrand a few years back was controversial but was at least ownable and well-made as a body of identity work.

(Ideally just a **** well-designed Aston Villa lion rampant badge with a little something something to stand us apart though please.)

That's it now. High horse is knackered.

Yeah I'd have liked us to do something modern, unique, future proof and timeless.

Now... I'm at the point where I'd ust settle for basic colour balance , contrast and symmetry 😂

I

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Almost every other round badge design I’ve seen from random people and fans is better than what we ended up with but I’m actually more of fan of it now after seeing this catastrophe… I would just settle for it now, just feels like we are being worn down…

spacer.png

Can’t understand why anyone with half a brain would think sticking with yellow on light blue would make sense or work…

This one was the best one I think I saw in the lead up. Just got the colour balance right.

A gold lion on claret gives the best possible contrast for the lion given our colours, and using the blue in the outer circle to ensure there's enough blue in the badge works perfectly. The font is clean and timeless, and the outer gold circle means it will work on any background.

The only change I would have made is to include the new lion, facing left, and remove the star, like this.

Villabadge.jpg.be867a651bb4a45d0ef8fc03ab68b1a1.jpg

It also works scaled down, with the lion, and a good balance of claret and blue all easily distinguishable

Villabadgescaled.jpg.450045a9543378028d072d094b90d3ef.jpg

Edited by ThunderPower_14
  • Like 3

I'm late to this.. but I'm glad I was. A few days less of pain. 

Yellow on light blue.  Surely **** not. 

White on light blue.  Surely **** not. 

And it looks so unbalanced with all the text at the bottom.

There is no way this is our badge.  If it is,  Heck should be sacked immediately before he can do more damage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'm late to this.. but I'm glad I was. A few days less of pain. 

Yellow on light blue.  Surely **** not. 

White on light blue.  Surely **** not. 

And it looks so unbalanced with all the text at the bottom.

There is no way this is our badge.  If it is,  Heck should be sacked immediately before he can do more damage. 

SACK SACK SACK

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Our 150th anniversary is imminent. We are the original establishment club. Our history permeates through every part of Villa Park. 

Our crest/brand should be modern but it should just ooze class, elegance and quality. 

I’m not saying that the attached crest someone did online is perfect as for me it’s too busy outside of the circle but the class, elegance and quality that it conveys is in a different universe to what has been leaked. 

IMG_8149.jpeg

This looks really classy, but the only way it would stick to a shirt would be embroidery, and embroidery at the scale that this will need to be to go on a shirt will ruin the definition of the lion and all of the text. You'd also lose all the definition at smaller sizes. It's not feasible as a club badge for that reason, although it'd look spectacular on a flag or banner.

• Like 1

I agree with the limitations that you’ve highlighted but surely the brief that you would give the designers - in addition to the specifics re lion etc etc - is create something that is scalable and practical but with a required level of elegance and class. It’s then their job to come up designs to meet the brief. 

It clearly must not have been in the brief at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

I agree with the limitations that you’ve highlighted but surely the brief that you would give the designers - in addition to the specifics re lion etc etc - is create something that is scalable and practical but with a required level of elegance and class. It’s then their job to come up designs to meet the brief. 

It clearly must not have been in the brief at all. 

If this is the badge, no way a proper agency was involved. It’s what is infuriating those of us with a branding background. It’s just so sloppy and amateurish. 

6 hours ago, Humanoid said:

"Trust the experts", apparently.  I kinda get the sense that those who moan about the roundel are also those who moan about claret shorts

Well no actually, I bet many roundies (like me) are the ones who think that the shorts should be blue in the event of a colour clash.

P.S. If I’ve misunderstood your point, my apologies (children awake half the night 🤪)

Edited by Stephen_Evans

6 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

This one was the best one I think I saw in the lead up. Just got the colour balance right.

A gold lion on claret gives the best possible contrast for the lion given our colours, and using the blue in the outer circle to ensure there's enough blue in the badge works perfectly. The font is clean and timeless, and the outer gold circle means it will work on any background.

The only change I would have made is to include the new lion, facing left, and remove the star, like this.

Villabadge.jpg.be867a651bb4a45d0ef8fc03ab68b1a1.jpg

It also works scaled down, with the lion, and a good balance of claret and blue all easily distinguishable

Villabadgescaled.jpg.450045a9543378028d072d094b90d3ef.jpg

That definitely scales down better than the current round badge

11 hours ago, Jas10 said:

If it was never “broke”, we should never have tried to “fix it”…

One F up after another, (inc turning the bloody lion around!) with this latest one the worst of all… lazy shite.

What was ever wrong with this?

spacer.png

spacer.png

In this day and age, the lion on that badge looks proper shit. An updated version of this badge would be amazing though.

Which is basically what we had with the round badge. Disappointingly

• Like 1

10 hours ago, est1874 said:

A repeat of the responses to this (round) crest announcement on Instagram is coming if they don't reverse course... https://www.instagram.com/p/CkyaahurNxu/?igsh=MWo5ajZ4aGNxMmk3eQ==

Looking at this new Heck badge and then looking at the round badge is amazing. It makes the round badge look like the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

It isn't. I quite like it but I know it has it's flaws.

But compared to this latest atrocity it is a **** masterpiece

Â